• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Experience of being banded...

Hollie22

Hello everyone. I was banded yesterday with a 10ml band at Dolan Park Hospital, Bromsgrove. It's the hospital groups own hospital.

I arrived at my admission time which was 7am. I sat in reception area while they called everyone to there room. At 9am I was taken to my room number 10.

I settled in and waited for sometime. The nurse came in to admit me at 12pm, followed shorty by the anaesitist and Mr Richardson my surgeon. was quite a long surgical list that day so I was told I was on the afternoon list. As you can understand my anxiety level was increasing throughout the day. I had been NBM since midnight the night before so had a really bad dry mouth, and stated getting ulcers. Eventually the nurse came in to tell me to get showered, put on my paper pants (if you are a size 22 + bring your own 100% cotton knickers I just got mine on with some customisation lol) and stockings.

I kissed my boyfriend good bye and walked down to the theatre with the theatre nurse who was lovely. I then went into the anaesthetic room to have the canulla placed. The anesethtisist is a lovely made. I was then walked into the theatre and was introduced to the staff in there. I was told to lay in the table and open my gown. I laid down and placed my arms outstretched on the supports. A mask was placed over my face and I was informed of every step. They talked to me while I had the mask on, then I began to feel funny and started wiggling my legs saying I feel funny, the last thing I remember is him telling me it's okay, then I came round.

When I came round in recovery, I was with the nurse who had taken me down before. I'm sure how long I was there for. I woke up still intubated which was horrible. As soon as they saw me fighting the tube, they removed it. I was in quite a lot of pain and was seeing double from all the meds. They gave me more pain relief and I didn't feel sick at all. After a while I was taken back to my room where my boyfriend was waiting. I had oxygen in etc. by now it was 5.30 pm. The surgeon came to see me after but I don't really remember what he said. My blood pressure was low and I couldn't drink due to the pain and drowsiness so I had 3 bags of fluid throughout the day and night.

The night nurse was not the nicest person. She seemed moody and irritated. I did f really need that while I was in pain and feeling sick. She slimiest shouted at me for not am drinking but when I explained I felt nauseous she said oh sorry ill get you some anti sickness.

After an awful nights sleep, I got up at 5.30am and attempted to wash myself. I was in quite a bit if pain. I then got dressed and the night nurse came in and gave me a heparin injection, painkillers and my breakfast, cranberry juice, a smoothie and a yogurt.

I struggled to get dressed on my own and waited for my boyfriend to return. Then we left it was 7.30am.

The journey home was fine. I find pressing a pillow against your stomach when you have position really helps with pain.

I was only able to have other than breakfast yesterday less then 1/4 Heinz soup and a miller light. Drank plenty of peppermint tea due to the gas pain but I slept through last night!

They have paracetamol suspension to take home but I have switched to children's liquid nurofen as its more effective for me.

Today I am 2 days post-op and going to see my parents, don't seem to be in too much pain when I have woken up this am :) looking forward to taking the dressings off and seeing what the incisions look like.

Good luck with anyone else having a band at Dolan Park I wish you the best of luck. Mr Richardson is lovely!

Can't wait to start seeing results, I'm so full of hope :)

Hollie
Xxx

Great update Hollie, sounds like it has gone great. Hope you heal quickly and get yourself on the losers Bench xx

Back