• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 30 Advice on Pre Op Diet

wildthing

Hi All,

I'm having my GB on 30 April at Dolan Park with Dr Sigurdsson, patient co-ordinator told at consultation that I would only have to fast from 12 the night before but can see on here lots of you are going on milk diets?.......

we are all talking about the liver shrink diet which as far as I know is mandatory for anyone about to have bariatric surgery. Most obese people have fatty livers - in order to place the band or perform the bypass, the surgeon has to get round the liver and if it is too fat, it will bleed excessively and they might have to either do an open procedure or cancel. The liver shrink diet is just that - its 2 + weeks of hell immediately prior to surgery where you are on 1000calories a day rigid and is designed to shrink your liver to make it easier to operate. Actually its not that bad - Ive been on it for 2 1/2 weeks and have lost a stone and if I can do it then anyone can!

Hi All,

I'm having my GB on 30 April at Dolan Park with Dr Sigurdsson, patient co-ordinator told at consultation that I would only have to fast from 12 the night before but can see on here lots of you are going on milk diets?.......

hi wild thing, the milk diet is to shrink the liver, maybe they havent put you on it with having a very low bmi of 30, im very suprised that they are allowing wls with a very low bmi of 30.

I would check with you consultant but I was told that BMI over 35 you need to do pre op diet for 5 days, Over 45 10 days. It may just be that your BMI is low enough not to need to do this beforehand. However, Like I siad check with you consultant.

I was told to do 5 days but I am thinking of doing it longer as i want to loose more weight beforehand, nothing ot do with my liver.

Hi Wildthing. Your right in that you'll have to not eat after a certain time the night before your surgery, but I'm sure you'll also have to do some pre-op diet as well. I only had to do 7 days of milk and yoghurt before the surgery, this is so your liver is small enough for the surgeon to move. I would go back to your advisor and ask. Have you got your pre-op paperwork through yet, will give do's and don'ts.

Not everyone has to do a pre-op diet.

I was told It was mainly for keyhole the pre op diet so that they can move the liver with the tools

With your BMI your liver won't be very fatty, so I guess that is why.

I wish my BMI was 30 ;)

My pre-op BMI was 50 and as I had a week's notice for the op I couldn't do the two week diet my hospital recommends anyway. I had open procedure andthe anaesthetist said they work round the liver.

BMI of 30 and WLS? Are you going private?

My BMI is now 37 from 59 health wise i want to get to at least a 30 but equally if i stook here i would be happy. im now a size 16/18 from a 26/28.
Sorry but i find it incrediable that anyone with a BMI of 30 would even concider surgery.
hc

Wild-thing I saw in another post ( the one about going home on the train staright after discharge) that you are only 2 stone overweight....have you not considered other options before WLS? I'm worried that your having this with so Little to loose...I have lost 22lbs just on 3 weeks of liquids pre and post- op diets you could loose 2st doing slim-fast for 6 weeks (thats near enough what you would be doing on the pre-op and post-op diets anyway.

This is major surgery your having babe...it hurts its hard to cope with emotionally and its for life.....Please be sure that you want to put yourself at the risk of a general anaesthetic and surgery.

I'm not lecturing you just very concerned xxx

Wild-thing I saw in another post ( the one about going home on the train staright after discharge) that you are only 2 stone overweight....have you not considered other options before WLS? I'm worried that your having this with so Little to loose...I have lost 22lbs just on 3 weeks of liquids pre and post- op diets you could loose 2st doing slim-fast for 6 weeks (thats near enough what you would be doing on the pre-op and post-op diets anyway.

This is major surgery your having babe...it hurts its hard to cope with emotionally and its for life.....Please be sure that you want to put yourself at the risk of a general anaesthetic and surgery.

I'm not lecturing you just very concerned xxx

Was thinking the same - don't tend to gatecrash this forum but I work for a company that makes surgical instruments for bariatric surgery and I am really shocked that the private hospitals are offering WLS to patients with a BMI of only 30.

NICE guidelines are for BMI 35-40 only if there is a related co-morbidity - eg Type2 diabetes or heart disease etc, or over BMI40, but only when all other diet related avenues have been exhausted. Seems unethical that surgeons are deliberately ignoring their own clinical guidelines in their private practice - and makes me wonder whether they are doing the best thing for you or for their pocket.

I know when you are a couple of stone overweight and you've tried some diets it seems like the only way out. I did a very low calorie diet - a VLCD, and when I started my diet my BMI was over 33, and it took less than 6 months to lose over 4 stone. You could lose 2 stone in two months on a VLCD without the risks involved in going under the knife/GA.

WLS is often a last resort and really not undertaken lightly - wondering whether you have explored this option, I followed W8 but there is Cambridge, Lipotrim and Lighterlife too - which also has some counselling if you felt you needed it.

Happy to tell you more about it if you want to pm me.

Carol x

Last edited:
i also agree with you carol, personally a bmi of 30 is to low for wls, but the private companies will take the cash from vunerable people, after all its a business and they do not care about there patients they way they should as if they did wls would not get abused the way it does. its called making money to them and thats it.
this is only my opinion and if i upset anyone by my opinion, then i do appoligise, as wls is a last resort for desperate people with major health issues.
this is only my opionion

i also agree with you carol, personally a bmi of 30 is to low for wls, but the private companies will take the cash from vunerable people, after all its a business and they do not care about there patients they way they should as if they did wls would not get abused the way it does. its called making money to them and thats it.
this is only my opinion and if i upset anyone by my opinion, then i do appoligise, as wls is a last resort for desperate people with major health issues.
this is only my opionion

Am with you on this Liz.

thanks red x

Hiya
please heed what the others are saying in this thread. Mr Sig did mine, and I had it done at Dolan Park, believe me they might be cheaper than others, but you are paying for what you get, and once they have your money, they dont seem to care too much about the person (very similar to a used car sales man). I dont regret my surgery one bit, just where I had it done. Mr sig is one of the best surgeons, but I wouldnt go with Dolan Park if I were you. Ive been there, done that, but they were not interested in giving me the tshirt (cheap bast**ds). If you are convinced you need to have it done, and a bmi of 30 is a bit low, then dont go there!!!

:wave_cry:

MNL

Hiya,

I'm BMI 30 and want to look at these options but as the other girls have said I really dont think i require a band or bypass and am considering the gastric balloon which gives the same effect but only lasts 6 months then its removed. at which point i hope to be at my target weight.

Its also a lot cheaper. :)

Not so long ago there were a couple of threads on here were people were saying that mini's is for support, not for being judgemental.

Threads like this, in my opinion, are not for discussing the rights and wrongs of low-BMI WLS, but for answering the OPs questions and trusting that she is an adult capable of making her own decisions.

I'm not saying I agree with low-BMI surgery, just that this isn't really the place to discuss it.

Hiya,

I'm BMI 30 and want to look at these options but as the other girls have said I really dont think i require a band or bypass and am considering the gastric balloon which gives the same effect but only lasts 6 months then its removed. at which point i hope to be at my target weight.

Its also a lot cheaper. :)

I liked what you had to say here, I think that the more ideas and information that the thread starter has, the more of an informed decision she can make. I wouldn't advise her either way to have it done or not, but I would ask her to think about where she has it done. I would not recommend Dolan Park to anyone.

MNL:)

Not so long ago there were a couple of threads on here were people were saying that mini's is for support, not for being judgemental.

Threads like this, in my opinion, are not for discussing the rights and wrongs of low-BMI WLS, but for answering the OPs questions and trusting that she is an adult capable of making her own decisions.

I'm not saying I agree with low-BMI surgery, just that this isn't really the place to discuss it.

**brought down to earth with a bump***

you are right not here to judge!
is there any more info you want to share with these guys that might help them understand why you are considering this option, I'm interested as i'm BMI 30 also.

Thanks

Back