• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bmi banders that started with a bmi under 40 with out co morbilities

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
ok after a post i put in another thread about private companies not been able to band people with a bmi under 40 with out having any co morbilities under the nice guide lines i would like to find out if any minis have been banded with a bmi under 40 with out any other health issues, and if so where was it done and by who.or was it done abroad ? as twinklyhb would benefit from any info given.

thanks

liz x

Hi Liz

I was banded by the WLS Group with a BMI of less than 40 (see my details). I discussed in great detail with my provider why I wanted the surgery and my BMI was not an issue. Obviously they must have a cut off where they would not consider you for surgery but I dont know what that is.

I have no comorbidities but my mum has everyone going and there is a strong family history of becoming diabetic, heart disease etc.

Maz x

thanks for this liz your a star my family history is the same as maz`s my mum died at 50 grandfather 65 lots of health problems in the family im 5`7 1/2 and 17 st 9 even the doctor said he thought it was a good idea, but never mind i wont b beaten stubborness is a wonderful thing!

this is what i found on the wls group web site about being eligable for surgery with them, they say that the co morbilities have to be there to get surgery with a bmi under 40, but are still banding people with out the co morbilities with a bmi of 35-39 :eek: isnt this breaking the law ?

Am I eligible for surgery?

In the UK, the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) has published criteria for those considering weight loss surgery.

In order to be eligible you must:

• Be over the age of 18

Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 to 39 with other obesity related health problems, or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above.

Last edited:
Liz

I was also told when my mum went for an NHS wls referrel that we both have syndrome x. Also I have health problems which are not helped by my weight. I need an operation but cant have it until I have a much lower BMI.

If I hadnt had the band this year, next year I would definatly have a BMI over 40 and maybe have diabetis. My mum got it in her late 30's, last year she had a heart attack and her quality of life is so poor. We both didnt want me to end up like that.

Maz x

Liz

I was also told when my mum went for an NHS wls referrel that we both have syndrome x. Also I have health problems which are not helped by my weight. I need an operation but cant have it until I have a much lower BMI.

Maz x

you said further up the thread that you were banded with no co morbilities, but from what you described you do, so you have been banded under the correct guidelines.

liz x

this is what i found on the wls group web site about being eligable for surgery with them, they say that the co morbilities have to be there to get surgery with a bmi under 40, but are still banding people with out the co morbilities with a bmi of 35-39 :eek: isnt this breaking the law

Am I eligible for surgery?

In the UK, the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) has published criteria for those considering weight loss surgery.

In order to be eligible you must:

• Be over the age of 18

Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 to 39 with other obesity related health problems, or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above.

hi liz this isnt the full quote from wls but im useless on pc so cant put it all on hav`nt we all got problems that are caused by our weight whether they be the few that are noted like diabetes ,heart disease etc i know my health will improve and pcos, joint problems and other things will def improve with this surgery as my weight afects them all so i dont think that they r breaking the law nhs rulings are probably followed to the letter as theres not as much money there as would be liked x h

hi liz this isnt the full quote from wls but im useless on pc so cant put it all on hav`nt we all got problems that are caused by our weight whether they be the few that are noted like diabetes ,heart disease etc i know my health will improve and pcos, joint problems and other things will def improve with this surgery as my weight afects them all so i dont think that they r breaking the law nhs rulings are probably followed to the letter as theres not as much money there as would be liked x h

if you have pcos and joint problems they fall into the catogary of co morbilities and there for you do qualify to be refered to a nhs surgeon for nhs banding and you would fit there criteria. i also have pcos and joint problems with my knees which has greatly improved since surgery, they were both part of my co morbilities.

OMG WHAT A CAN OF WORMS IVE OPENED UP HERE :sigh:

Last edited:
you said further up the thread that you were banded with no co morbilities, but from what you described you do, so you have been banded under the correct guidelines.

liz x

I dont have any yet but syndrome x predisposes me to them, apparantly the fat around my abdomen was the give away. My health problems are gynea.

if you have pcos and joint problems they fall into the catogary of co morbilities and there for you do qualify to be refered to a nhs surgeon for nhs banding and you would fit there criteria. i also have pcos and joint problems with my knees which has greatly improved since surgery, they were both part of my co morbilities.

OMG WHAT A CAN OF WORMS IVE OPENED UP HERE :sigh:

sorry im getting stressed i know your only trying to help! xx

sorry im getting stressed i know your only trying to help! xx

i appoligise i didnt mean to stress you out, we shall leave the subject now, chatting over a forum can get stressfull and i appoligise.

liz x

no probs its me im far to wound up about this stuff at present think its just the thought of somebody not letting me have wls that set off my rant over im sorry ive given myself a kick up the backside xxxh

please do not try to get stressed, wls is a emotional rollercoaster, if you come to the metro centre on the 23rd it would be nice to meet you and chatting in person is less stressfull than on the net.

i hope you can make it and i hope i havent put you off meeting me, and i appoligise once again for any stress i caused you.

liz x

sorry to but in, but does pcos count as a comorbility? I have pcos and didn't know it qualified.

it did for me as excess weight makes the symptoms worse, and alot of people do improve after weight loss. it can also up the chances of concieving a baby after weight loss.

Sorry to but in liz, but just reading through your thread and just wanted to say that i was privately banded with a bmi of 31 with no co morbidities. I had lost the majority of my weight previously with slimming world as i originally weighed nearly 17st but couldnt get any lower, and my surgeon said that as i have always been a yo yo dieter, i would almost probably creep back up to my original weight and maybe more, so thats why he agreed to band me, but does that mean that he has not followed guidelines as im a bit confused?

Sorry to but in liz, but just reading through your thread and just wanted to say that i was privately banded with a bmi of 31 with no co morbidities. I had lost the majority of my weight previously with slimming world as i originally weighed nearly 17st but couldnt get any lower, and my surgeon said that as i have always been a yo yo dieter, i would almost probably creep back up to my original weight and maybe more, so thats why he agreed to band me, but does that mean that he has not followed guidelines as im a bit confused?

julieanne i really dont know as i only started looking into this tonight to help twinkly out, so i rang my team today to find out and they said they dont band anyone with a bmi under 40 with no comorbilities for both private or nhs patients, they said the guidelines are there for a reason for uk surgeons to follow, i can only speak from what ive been told today i cant speak for other surgeons reasons. theres probably a loop hole in the rules but i aint quite worked out what that is yet.

im starting to get on me own nerves now lol.

i will be researching this subject more tomorrow when i can think more clearly.

liz x

ok this has me thinking now. My pcos has been bad and have been thro lots of fertility issues and treatments. Now have 4 kids and been sterlizied (just in case! lol) so question is will any drastice weightloss such as i hope to acheive if my bid for banding is successful improve my horrendous facial and excess body hair?

Back