• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Concerned by Consultants Comments - Banders Only

Mynewlife

Hiya
I have had a band fitted almost a year ago now. I was originally under the Obesity Healthcare Unit at University Hospital, Coventry & Walsgrave. After being under their care for a year, and jumping through all their hoops, they still would not agree to do my surgery, so I paid to have it done privately at Dolan Park. Luckily enough the Obesity Healthcare Unit, have continued to support me, I have appointments with the consultant every six months and the diectician every three months. Aside from this, My PCT (Northants), agreed to pay to fund my band fills at University Hospital, because this facility is not available in Northants. This is a bit long winded, but I had an appointment on Tuesday at University Hospital with the consultant for my 6 month check. Since my last appointment in March, I have lost 7kg, which they were happy about. My consultant is currently abroad, so I had to see one of his juniors.
Ok, now for the problem, the man I saw, said some not so nice things, which really sort of upset me, and I am still not strong enough to not turn to chocolate, as I am an emotional eater. I am trying to get stronger in this area. Anyway he said that I had done well since March, which was fine, but then he went on to say that there have been studies done and in the USA and Europe that said between 2-5 years, 2 out of 3 banders fail.:wave_cry:. I was gob-smacked, surely he should have been encouraging me to carry on doing well? He also stated that I needed to exercise ( I have lost 4 stone since my surgery in July 2008). I was annoyed as I work out at the gym 5 out of 7 days. The day I went to see him, I had been in the gym in the morning before my appointment and spend 1 hour 40 mins working out. I also worked out the day before for 1 hour 45 minutes. I snapped and said "I do work out, and more so than the average person, I think. He was condensending (not sure of spelling), a bit rude and slightly arrogant, I left feeling down, and totally un-inspired. I was so positive before seeing him because I had seen the dietician before I saw him, and she was so positive, said I was well passed what they had expected, and I am doing so well. She said that I looked great. When I left there, I went to Thorntons and bought a bag of chocolate and ate half. I thought what's the point of working with this band, if in a few years I am going to fail anyway, he was so negative. I have picked myself up a bit, but still cant believe how negative he was, and how it affected me. Sorry to harp on, but I just think his comments were unneccessary.

Regards

MNL:cry:

MNL, I'm only 2 weeks post banding so may not be much help at the moment, but I think you've done fabulously so far and only hope that i do half as well as you have...don't let them get you down. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Hi MNL, that is so wrong of the Consultant to make you feel so bad - not what he supposed to be doing. I remember a while back the stats being discussed. I can't remember what the thread was called but the response from others was basically these stats are groundless. I remember someone did some research into it.

I've certainly not heard this at all and I do a lot of research on the band and apart from here on that occasion I have never heard that before or since. I think it is some kind of rumour.

But remember that however soul destroying his comments might have been, it is not him you are doing this for. You are doing it for you and yours. In the same position I'd be very angry and go out of my way to prove him wrong.

Hope you feel better soon x

I agree with the girls comments, you show him how succesful you can be hun!!!

Don't let him undo all the good you have done...you have lost a lot of weight and must feel good about that. Do you think he was trying to say you have done well but others fail? It's just that he can't exactly acuse you of failure with the success you have had.

Well done xx

Don't let him grind you down hun and ruin everything that you have done already, which by the way is fantastic.

When you see your proper consultant next time, make sure that you tell him how the little A*****E made you feel!!!!

Why is someone who works in this field being so bloody negative with you, I cannot stand condesending people who make you feel bad about yourself, you have done fantastic so far and I can only hope that I do that well, I have my op in 3 weeks and I cant wait, keep your chin up hun and just thnk of the progress you have made so far, don't let some pig ignorant man bring you down

You have done really well don't let him put you off. Like the others have said carry on doing what you have been doing and he will be proved wrong the next time you go, so he will have to eat his words.

Hiya
I have had a band fitted almost a year ago now. I was originally under the Obesity Healthcare Unit at University Hospital, Coventry & Walsgrave. After being under their care for a year, and jumping through all their hoops, they still would not agree to do my surgery, so I paid to have it done privately at Dolan Park. Luckily enough the Obesity Healthcare Unit, have continued to support me, I have appointments with the consultant every six months and the diectician every three months. Aside from this, My PCT (Northants), agreed to pay to fund my band fills at University Hospital, because this facility is not available in Northants. This is a bit long winded, but I had an appointment on Tuesday at University Hospital with the consultant for my 6 month check. Since my last appointment in March, I have lost 7kg, which they were happy about. My consultant is currently abroad, so I had to see one of his juniors.
Ok, now for the problem, the man I saw, said some not so nice things, which really sort of upset me, and I am still not strong enough to not turn to chocolate, as I am an emotional eater. I am trying to get stronger in this area. Anyway he said that I had done well since March, which was fine, but then he went on to say that there have been studies done and in the USA and Europe that said between 2-5 years, 2 out of 3 banders fail.:wave_cry:. I was gob-smacked, surely he should have been encouraging me to carry on doing well? He also stated that I needed to exercise ( I have lost 4 stone since my surgery in July 2008). I was annoyed as I work out at the gym 5 out of 7 days. The day I went to see him, I had been in the gym in the morning before my appointment and spend 1 hour 40 mins working out. I also worked out the day before for 1 hour 45 minutes. I snapped and said "I do work out, and more so than the average person, I think. He was condensending (not sure of spelling), a bit rude and slightly arrogant, I left feeling down, and totally un-inspired. I was so positive before seeing him because I had seen the dietician before I saw him, and she was so positive, said I was well passed what they had expected, and I am doing so well. She said that I looked great. When I left there, I went to Thorntons and bought a bag of chocolate and ate half. I thought what's the point of working with this band, if in a few years I am going to fail anyway, he was so negative. I have picked myself up a bit, but still cant believe how negative he was, and how it affected me. Sorry to harp on, but I just think his comments were unneccessary.

Regards

MNL:cry:

hey MNL, listen to me, what does some jumped up juniour doc know ? not alot by the sounds of it, he sounds a bit power happy as the boss is away, he obviouslly is in experienced with dealing with post op wls patients by the way hes talked to you. i wouldnt pay to much attention to what he has said, after all hes not quoting facts from studies in this country, and life styles in usa and europe are different to here in the uk. you have done very well please keep up the good work and prove this silly juniour wrong, when your normal consultant returns id express your concerns to him that you dont think his juniour deals with patients in a very good manner, because he needs to have a word in his pea sized brain ;)

keep up the good work please hun, the dietician is pleased so keep thinking of the positive comments from her.

im proud of you for your achievements so far and im sure so are other mini members.

liz xxx

thanks everyone for your really supportive comments. I hadnt told my husband up until this afternoon because I knew how he would react, but like you, he thinks the guy was a waste of space. He also said that I must complain to my consultant when I see him next about this man's bedside manner. My husband said he feels the man had not read my notes in detail because it clearly states in my notes that I do exercise already, as my consultant has commented on it before, saying something along the lines of "I see in your notes, that you are working out at the gym on a routine basis, that is really good and will help you on your journey". The junior was not from the UK, and I think that maybe he could have articulated himself a bit differently, and maybe he didnt mean to be that negative, but like I said, I will mention it to my consultant when I see him next. I actually have his email, so I might drop him a line and explain how I was treated.
Thanks again ladies for the kind words of encouragement. I just had to get it off of my chest, and knew this was the best place to do it.

MNL:)
PS I am feeling a lot better now I have it off of my chest.

Glad to hear it!!! you stay on track and well done you are over half way there xxx

Kick that mans BUTT next time you see him or better still all us Mini's will go boot him for you lol!!!

he needs a band on his tounge to stop him talking so much sh*te :giggle:

if i was you id wait untill your conjsultant is back and write /email him personally and explain how your consultation made you feel what was said and your concerns and ask if maybe he can see you to discuss them i wouldnt pay heed to what the junior said yes there are statistics and as the band is only a tool it is up to the individual to work with it if your determined it will work for you keep that in mind and dont be put off, failing is because of a persons choices not because of the band , keep positive you can do it xx

You are doing really well...he is a twat.

Put in a formal complaint. And go on to prove the dipstick wrong.

:)

Well done on your weight loss so far MNL you have done fab, and I agree with the others make sure your consultant knows how inappropriate that chap was with his comments and how much it upset you.
Keep up the good work you will achieve your goal

Jay xx

Back