• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bougie size

wannabeminime

Just wanted to see of there is any correlation between losses and bougie size. Please can you post your bougie size for your sleeve, start BMI, current BMI, how long it has taken to lose that amount, and say how easy you have found your journey.

Thank you! MWAH!! xx

Natstar

Really dumb question but what's a bougie?

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
Its the tube thats inserted into your mouth down into your stomach and the surgeon uses it to determine the size of the pouch. He basically staples up alongside it. There are different sizes but i dont know what size was used during my surgery but im gonna ask on Wed when i see my surgeon.

Kim

JO28172

Interesting..do you come out of surgery with a sore throat then Kim?

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
No, and thinking about it there must have been two tubes, the breathing one and the bougie. Have read a few posts on here about people having sore throats and the replies were that the breathing tube can graze as its being put in or removed. They must have been gentle with me!!

Kim

MissyMustDoIt

serial cryer!!
well in my house bougies are bogeys...so i got really confused when i read this!! hahah

wannabeminime

Further info;

I think the standard size is 36f, but surgeons can choose from 32f upwards. Alvarez in Mehico likes a 32f, the one i am going to uses the 36f. There is less than 2mm between them, so hopefully it makes little difference, but thought i'd ask the question anyway.

mandeepsandhu33

stuckinafatsuit said:
Its the tube thats inserted into your mouth down into your stomach and the surgeon uses it to determine the size of the pouch. He basically staples up alongside it. There are different sizes but i dont know what size was used during my surgery but im gonna ask on Wed when i see my surgeon.

Kim

I had my op on Jan 13th and i weighed 134kg which gave me a BMI of 46.2! I now weigh 98kg and have a BMI of 33.4! In total I have lost just over 6 stones in about 3 and a half months. I jad a bougie of 34f!

mandeepsandhu33

On the pre op diet, i only lost about 7kg. I am struggling at the moment tho. If i eat more than 3 spoons of food I find i'm being sick. I thought by this stage it would of got better but it hasn't! I get no satisfaction from eating whatsoever! But hey even though I find that really annoying, only another 20kg and I'll be my perfect weight!

Tracey37

I was 140kg and BMI of 65 now today I weigh 113 kg and BMI of 53 that's total lost 4 st 7 lb since the 30th Jan , my Bougie size was36f , and I have no problems with foods apart from anything that been pickled

Ruthiep

I had no idea what a bougie was till a couple of days ago. I'm going to ask my surgeon at the support group tomorrow night and let you know! If Sharonimo knows what size hers was, I imagine mine is the same as we had the same surgeon.

I had a BMI of 37.8, now it's 28.4, start weight 200lbs, now 150. (10st. 10lbs, 68kg) Stuck there for over a week now, but it's a good place to be stuck if I have to be stuck for a while! Today I'm exactly five months post op.

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I had no idea what a bougie was till a couple of days ago. I'm going to ask my surgeon at the support group tomorrow night and let you know! If Sharonimo knows what size hers was, I imagine mine is the same as we had the same surgeon.

Hi Ruthie,

Yes I do happen to know that Mr Pratik Sufi only ever uses 36F bougie on all sleeve ops (private or NHS). Mr Sufi's own personal view is that the 32F (and possibly 34F) would be far too narrow and possibly lead too much restriction, being sick and possibly strictures.

(The being sick part may have some truth based on what the person above said who had a 34F and has not enjoyed eating since and has experienced being sick.)

I mentioned to wannabeminime by private message that I thought my sleeve (36F) might be slightly too big, because I seem to be able to eat so easily ......

...... however I think the size that the sleeve ends up also depends on your original build/frame and stomach size.

I am quite tall (5' 7") and have a very long torso (this may not be obvious in my pics as I deliberately dress with short tops and long black trews to try and disguise it!) -- it is a family trait being built like apes (!!!!!) with long bodies and short legs !!!!

Anyway, I think now that this may be the reason why my original stomach was very big and very long (due to my long torso) and has given me a little bit extra capacity that a similarly narrow 36F bougie would not give on someone of 5'2" with a much shorter torso.

Like, wannabeminime, I would still be interested to hear from other sleevers (esp 3 months, 6 months or a year post op) what size their bougie was and how much weight loss it has led to.

Thanks! :)

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
Went to see the surgeon today, he used a 32f and said even though there is greater risk of leakage with a narrower tube they take this risk for improved weight loss. Now i know why 6 teaspoons of dinner fills me up!

Weight at op 12/12/11 147kg, 23 stone 1 pound
Weight today 02/05/13 112kg, 17 stone 6 pounds
Weight loss in 20 weeks 35kg, 5 stone 5 pounds

Kim

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
And i found out its pronounced bu-zh, i like to learn something new every day!! Oh and its french for candle!

Kim

Ruthiep

Asked Mr. Sufi last night at the support group. He does indeed use a 36f, but he said he makes it nice and snug. He said some surgeons who use a smaller one don't make it as tight, so the variables aren't as great as they seem.

Oh and he said it's pronouced with a soft g like a j..so boo-jhee.

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
The difference in size is only in millimetres so 32 to 36 is hardly noticable i would think. If they had given me a choice on the day i probably would have asked for the 34 or 36 because i would'nt have wanted to take the risk of leakage with the narrower one. Wasnt given the choice and as i said he only told me today!

Kim

novamay

Born Free
Hi, just been googling bougie sizes - a 32F looks to be the same width as a ballpoint pen!