• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Breads

stubad

can i ask some of you long termers if you have any trouble eating different kinds of bread?, the reason is i have a goal of which i am particularly looking forward to, which is to have me a nice tuna mayo and salad french bread sandwich, is this something i am going to be able to eat or is bread an issue??

stubad said:
can i ask some of you long termers if you have any trouble eating different kinds of bread?, the reason is i have a goal of which i am particularly looking forward to, which is to have me a nice tuna mayo and salad french bread sandwich, is this something i am going to be able to eat or is bread an issue??

Bread,pasta,and rice are an issue with me they tend to get stuck.
BUT if I take my time I seem to be better with brown bread for some strange reason.
I'm 2 years post op nearly and I know if I tryed a French bread/stick I'd struggle.

Bread is a no no for me 2 - If I fancy a sarnie I use lettuce leaves as bread. I just put the filling in the middle and wrap the lettuce around it, I keep it in the fridge and its nice and crunch and juicy also much healthier as well x . hth - Julie xx

its not looking good for my sandwhich so far lol

I've heard of a lot of people having problem with bread. You could think about adapting the sandwich for something more manageable for when you can eat bread. Like a pita filled with tuna salad or some people seem to manage toast. You could toast the bread and let it go cold or make it a tuna melt with salad on the side. Also some people can manage wraps although that is hit and miss I believe. I think it's a wait and see thing, something you can't eat one day might be something that you can manage two weeks later :)

I can eat bread but only half a slice, still its better than nothing and you get the taste I just chew well slowly

I'm not a long termer just 4 months pot op but trying to introduce new foods. I managed one slice of toasted weight watchers Danish cut bread with some chopped tin tomatoes. It is very thin & light. I was advised toasting it was best option. Also to try wraps but I couldn't manage them, the pain was awful. Good luck.

I can eat bread, Stu :cry::cry: wish I couldn't but I can, so have to be very firm with myself. I have only tried wholemeal & Warburtons slims, but they don't give me any problems at all ... but then again, nothing does :( I can eat anything I ate pre op but just tiny amounts. Good :) Bad :mad: Jury is still out on that but I am losing weight regularly at 9months out so I am happy :D xxx

I can eat anything, including bread Stu. just depends on what your body says. I am 2.5 months out of bypass.

I'm ok with really soft fluffy breads as long as its with something really moist like soup. I tried pitta bread the other day, ow! That got really stuck! I think I would probably be ok with like an egg mayo sandwich but, I don't really get the same cravings as what I did before, so you may find you don't even want one!!
The lettuce leaves idea is a good one, I'm having that for my dinner tonight, wrapping falafel in lettuce rather than pitta bread!

I'm ok with really soft fluffy breads as long as its with something really moist like soup. I tried pitta bread the other day, ow! That got really stuck! I think I would probably be ok with like an egg mayo sandwich but, I don't really get the same cravings as what I did before, so you may find you don't even want one!!
The lettuce leaves idea is a good one, I'm having that for my dinner tonight, wrapping falafel in lettuce rather than pitta bread!
i am gonna try normal bread with tuna mayo and salad, when i can that is, but i think plenty of mayo and lettuce
thanks for all the replies

i only have granary bread nowadays toasted though .............i stopped white bread the same day as i stopped fizzy ;) the day before my op

Hi
I can manage a little white bread it tends to fill me up quickly also don't have as much interest in bread as I did pre op I'm more into crackers they seem to go down well with me ( 3 months post op sleeve )

i can't eat a sandwich at all, i can eat one slice of really well done toast but it has to be cold then not soggy :) what about an open sandwich on one slice and eat with a knife and fork i used to have those when i was on weight watchers diet x

angiemason said:
i can't eat a sandwich at all, i can eat one slice of really well done toast but it has to be cold then not soggy :) what about an open sandwich on one slice and eat with a knife and fork i used to have those when i was on weight watchers diet x

This is what I do too,one piece of bread and put tuna on top with salad,and then use a knife and fork.
I think you concentrate more when eating it,and chewing it slow rather than eating with hands.

Hi StUBAD sounds like you doing ok, I can eat most things as well like everyone else, I miss bread, I try and have it rarely, If i do have it it is a multi seeded brown slice, or a wholemeal wrap, or warburton thin, at first I had it toasted but its fine now with out, I have had a bread bun but too filling for me and have also had part of a baguetted but struggled with it was soo filling but when its time just give it a try don't think I tried bread till was 6 months. Good luck xx

Like lots of others - ok with whole meal toast, or Kingsmill pitta pocket type things, or Warburtons sandwich thins, but I steer well clear of any squidgy bread or crusty bread, especially white. To be honest it's wasted calories and takes up valuable space that you can fill with protein, so I tend not to bother, except perhaps once a week I might have a sandwich thin toasted with peanut butter. Good luck with your dream meal!

I can eat breadsticks and crackers but the soft fluffy fresh out of the oven is a big no no. Wish it weren't so.

Back