• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question about future diet, not for right now

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all, I was curious about this next question and thought that I would ask. It isnt something that I expect to be possible for many months yet but thought that I would ask whilst I was wondering about it.
Bread and salad...when are these possible?
I never intend bread to be a big part of my future diet, just the occassional piece of toast for breakfast or a sandwich on a day out (work with kids and on trips a little sandwich is ideal). I would love salad to be a part of my future diet, I love crispy lettuce and cucumber and celery, without dressing, just salad as is, so I am more curious about where that fits into my scheme of things.
As I said, I am expecting to hear that it is going to be a LONNNNNNNNNG time yet, but a nice rough idea would be good please xx
Steph xx

I had bread from about 3 weeks post op, when I went back to work. Salad I had from a couple of weeks later. Best bet is to see what it says on your hospital info, or take guidance from your dietician. I have never had problems with either salad or bread, but some people do.

I had some toast (2 slices of WW wholemeal) with Marmite and a v small scraping of Flora light. It went down very well and I Luuurrrv Marmite. I don't think I am up to untoasted bread yet, but that doesn't worry me. Well not till I go to France next year and watch my mates munching into fresh baguettes.

God bless your poor pouch John...that is rather solid food for so soon out from surgery, I am slightly ahead of you and my pouch suffers if I push it, fair enough that you can eat solids already though.

My other question is walnuts, not too many obviously but I would like to maybe add some to porridge or even have just a couple over Christmas. They munch down to almost nothing easily enough but I dont want to push my limits too far.

Steph xx

God bless your poor pouch John...that is rather solid food for so soon out from surgery, I am slightly ahead of you and my pouch suffers if I push it, fair enough that you can eat solids already though.

My other question is walnuts, not too many obviously but I would like to maybe add some to porridge or even have just a couple over Christmas. They munch down to almost nothing easily enough but I dont want to push my limits too far.

Steph xx

The toast I had was very dry and crumbly and well munched.

I don't know about the walnuts but would like to. I have had some small helpings (1 tsp) of Munchy Seeds (well munched) washed down with a Virgin Mary (Bloody Mary without the vodka). Very tasty!

John xx

The toast I had was very dry and crumbly and well munched.

I don't know about the walnuts but would like to. I have had some small helpings (1 tsp) of Munchy Seeds (well munched) washed down with a Virgin Mary (Bloody Mary without the vodka). Very tasty!

John xx

Did you have worcester sauce in your Virgin Mary John? Love tomato juice with a bit of the spicy stuff in....

Salad I ate as soon as I was on solids. It its so full of water that I could eat loads...great for meals out cuz it looks and feels like your eating loads! Great with a little added protein like chicken, prawns, tuna etc

For me it was like this:

salad = first week on solids (week 7 for me but I think it is more like week 8/9 for my hospital now)

bread = toasted wasn't brave enough to try until about week 9/10, as for untoasted it seemed like forever like maybe 4/5 months post-op? I would get this kinda stuck feeling after a bite or two. I can now and have been able for at least 6 months to have fresh soft bread just not very much as it is very filling.

nuts = as soon as I was on salads, started with walnuts and pecans since they are 'softer' never had an issue but also chewed well. In fact I put them on every salad I ate early days to increase protein!

May be vastly different for you.

Nic:p

I would have thought that lettuce would potentially be as bad as grape/tomato skins? Have you not had such problems?

Depending on your hospital, when you go on solids is different. The important bit is transition. For example if you have been having smooth foods but suddenly have grapes, lettuce etc. you can end up being sick. That is why you gradually add less smooth food over days or weeks, then you do soft foods for a bit, each time adding more days if you get sick until eventually you are ready for solid foods. I healed inside very fast, I think due to my very high protein diet so I was able to take in more volume and transition without having to go back a step along the way. This is not the case for many, in fact my hospital has lengthened the time for liquids from 2 weeks to 3, and added an extra week on purees since people are find transitioning difficult. The caution about fruit skins I gave was because Gill said she was still on purees and skins are a no-no during puree, specifically the first week of purees should be so smooth that they drip off your spoon.

Nic;)

Thanks for the replies guys.
I got some walnuts and chewed like crazy but they are just too dry for me at the moment, maybe I will crumble one into some porridge to get some protein in.
I am doing well now with my eating, I am starting to be able to manage a whole weetabix most mornings, I have it with warm milk and it is nice and mushy and with my morning drink I take my meds and it all goes down well and sets me up well for the morning.
I am still on soft foods and I am enjoying food now, I am enjoying the tastes of the foods, especially as my sense of taste seems so much more sensitive now and I am getting less and less afraid of food.
I am determined to start as I mean to go on and make healthy choices, I dont see the point in having this operation and then seeing what crap I can get away with...ie crisps and deserts etc where is the point in that?
I have been busting to get fruit going again and veggies and I had a small carrot stick today...tiny bites and chewed to death, in fact my mum commented on just how much chewing I did lol and it went down lovely and stayed down wonderfully and I peeled an apple and intended to have a slice or two...again, chew chew chewed to within an inch of life lol and about ten minutes later I had eaten the entire thing and it sat very well in my tummy and has stayed down well too.
It feels good to be getting some good food into myself now and something slightly more 'normal', but still choices that munch down into tiny bits and swallowed slowly and carefully. I am still mainly eating the more soft foods and intend to for a good week or so yet.
I must be getting enough fibre into myself as I have had some good healthy bm's (sorry lol) and no tummy pain.
I definately think that it is all about going SLOWWWWWWWWWLY and making sensible choices. Dont get me wrong, when I hear people saying about having rich tea biscuits dipped in tea it sounds nice but Im sorry, I dont see the point in that, not yet, this is too big of an op to have had to make poor eating choices so early on, Im not saying people shouldnt have treats but why do treats always have to be carb laden, calorific stuff? I personally treat a nice bit of soft fruit or a cup of low low sugar hot chocolate (not often) as a treat.
I am determined that just like my pouch, food is going to be my friend and I am going to work well with it.
Any hints on protein intake are ALWAYS welcome btw guys as I would prefer to do what I can without shakes.
Steph xx

Hi Steph

I eat bread but try to pack the filling with protein, tuna, chicken, egg and i sometimes eat hummous sandwiches :)

Salad is also great and I am sure you will eventually be able to eat most things.

There isnt anything I cant eat (except sugary things) which does make it easy to be naughty but its now all about staying disciplined and getting to my goal. Have had a bit of a plateau recently so need to up my protein and exercise and should start coming off again :)

xxxxx

Thanks for the reply Mark xx
I will try bread eventually but Im in no real hurry, not really that fussed about it.
Good to hear about the salad though because I do enjoy a good crisp salad.
Hummous...is that tasty? I see things like hummous and cous cous and that green one...and I wonder what it tastes like but dont want to buy any in case I dont like it.
Thats the big challenge really isnt it, being able to have what you like and NOT.
Steph xx

Hummous, cous cous and guacamole are lovely! couldnt live without them! give them a try when your ready Steph! u wont be disappointed xxx

Guacamole...thats the one I meant lol Thanks, Ill give them a try at some point soon.
Steph xx

I have been told to avoid bread and any bread products for 3 months, as well as rice - they can expand and sit on your stomach for a long time and can block apparently.
I haven't had any salad except chopped up tomatoes and olives with my tuna and prawn concoctions!

Back