• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bumped Into My GP And He Said

Snowcrystal

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help answer this please?

Today I had to pick up my prescriptions at my surgery...While I was waiting at reception I bumped into my GP.

We said hi to each other and he asked if I were OK and if I were making an appointment to see him...I told him I was just getting my prescriptions...So I asked him if he had heard anything back yet with regards to the WLS referral.

He said that he had sent everything off and I should hear directly from them.

:confused:Does anyone know what happens next please?
:confused:Does this mean he has made referral before funding?
:confused:Does this way take longer?
:confused:Who's hands is it in now?
:confused:Any idea how long now? (Roughly in general)

I would have asked him more but my husband was waiting for me in the car and we were in a big hurry for an appointment...And I'm sure the Doc was still working too.

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated.

~X~X~X~

I don't know about your area but mine worked like this. Gp applied for funding. We both got a letter stating I had my funding. Gp then wrote to surgeon. Surgeon then sent letter to me with date for group meeting. I know some surgeons do the application for funding once surgery has been agreed but mine did it oposite so I had funding in place when I saw surgeon. Hope this helps a little bit.

As referral pathways vary around the UK, this is a tough one to answer. I can only tell you my experience.

I saw the GP in August, he said he would check if I met our PCT criteria.
Two weeks later he rang me and said I did. (Sept 2008)
On 6th November 2008 I had my first appointment at the hospital where it was agreed I would have a bypass.
Funding eventually approved (after hospital admin c*ck up) on 15th January 2009. I did not receive anything from PCT to say I had funding.
1st April, I had my bypass.

I don't know about your area but mine worked like this. Gp applied for funding. We both got a letter stating I had my funding. Gp then wrote to surgeon. Surgeon then sent letter to me with date for group meeting. I know some surgeons do the application for funding once surgery has been agreed but mine did it oposite so I had funding in place when I saw surgeon. Hope this helps a little bit.

Thank you Gaynor

Yes that does help...Just trying to get a general idea of how it might work...I know all PCT's can be different.

Wonder if it's funding I will hear from?

I should have remembered to at least ask my GP who 'they' were when he said he sent it all off to them.

Good luck on your surgery soon....let us know how it goes asap.

~x~X~x~

As referral pathways vary around the UK, this is a tough one to answer. I can only tell you my experience.

I saw the GP in August, he said he would check if I met our PCT criteria.
Two weeks later he rang me and said I did. (Sept 2008)
On 6th November 2008 I had my first appointment at the hospital where it was agreed I would have a bypass.
Funding eventually approved (after hospital admin c*ck up) on 15th January 2009. I did not receive anything from PCT to say I had funding.
1st April, I had my bypass.

Thank you too Brunetteandred

I have have a strong feeling that it will be that way for me too...I think my GP has made a referral direct to the hospital first...not sure though.

I will make an appointment to see him to find out if I don't hear anything in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

~x~X~x~

Wot part of london u from ???? Was told other day if in east london funding is automatic (dsarah1977 post)

all the best - mejulie xx

thank you too brunetteandred

i have have a strong feeling that it will be that way for me too...i think my gp has made a referral direct to the hospital first...not sure though.

I will make an appointment to see him to find out if i don't hear anything in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

~x~x~x~

Ok not sure if this helps any but this is how it worked for me in East London.

I wasnt referred by gp I was referred by another consultant I see for other health issues.

To cut a long story short as my case isn't very straight forward, I was sent an appointment to see the bariatric consultant at Homerton. They apply for the funding on your behalf. I havent been involved in the funding process. I don't think you would hear direct about the funding. the consultant kinda just tells you yes ok we will do the surgery or no we wont. Or in my case, we need to do more tests before giving the go ahead.

I think it likely that you have been referred although don't hold me to that.

Good luck with your journey Xx

same as me swizzel i been referred by another consultant who was seeing me ..........hopefully that goes in our favour xx

hi,

My GP applied direct to the PCT for funding, had a letter from the PCT yesterday to say it was going before the panel today..... so will hear direct from them one way or another..... I live in Oxfordshire.

Good Luck!
Deb

Good luck to Deb, Snow and others i hope all your enquires are dealt with quickly and that you will all be having your surgery's sooner rather than later. Can't help with the questions as i live in Staffordshire and i think that's a good area to get your funding - my GP referred me in July 08 saw Mr Khan Sept 08 and will see the anaesthetist 26th of this month and hopefully i should have a date soon after. Sending you all hugs with fairy dust to keep you all positive for your future's

I was referred by my GP back in July 2008. A fe weeks later he rang to say funding had been approved and it was a case of waiting, probably 6 months. I saw him in Feb 2009 and he asked if I had heard which I hadnt. so he said he'd chase them up. I then get a phone call from the hospital that evening for an initial appointment with the consultant on 29 April. He then said I'd need to see a psychologist, anethatisy and dietician and the op would follow pretty much a few weeks after that. I'm now waiting for the appointment with the psychologist etc. I'me being bypassed at St Richards in Chichester and they have a long waiting list. In fact the consultant, Mr Slater, actually asked me to tell people on this forum that they are doing everythign they can to see people as soon as possible. It's the waiting that's so hard...... Might be worth asking your GP to chase them up? All the best Julie x

Thank you all of you...you are all really sweet.

I know Brett was SE London, but I think his PCT is in a neighbouring borough...his was really quick...(hope he is OK BTW)

It looks to me at the moment that I could be waiting anything from 3 - 18 months with all the bits in between...You see I get confused about this 18 week rule...as someone else has mentioned in another post here somewhere...They play with these dates with all the stuff they put in between.

I know that I'm impatient; And I do wish we could have gone done the private route, but it's out of the question at the moment.

I guess I'm trying to gauge how long it will be and how it will work. I mean, the old saying "What comes first, the chicken or the egg"? Just does not apply here does it?...lol. Everyone's case can be soo different.

But Still interested in what order you all got yours.

Thanks again.

~O~X~O~

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help answer this please?

Today I had to pick up my prescriptions at my surgery...While I was waiting at reception I bumped into my GP.

We said hi to each other and he asked if I were OK and if I were making an appointment to see him...I told him I was just getting my prescriptions...So I asked him if he had heard anything back yet with regards to the WLS referral.

He said that he had sent everything off and I should hear directly from them.

:confused:Does anyone know what happens next please?
:confused:Does this mean he has made referral before funding?
:confused:Does this way take longer?
:confused:Who's hands is it in now?
:confused:Any idea how long now? (Roughly in general)

I would have asked him more but my husband was waiting for me in the car and we were in a big hurry for an appointment...And I'm sure the Doc was still working too.

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated.

~X~X~X~

Snow I was referred by my GP to the consultant. I recieved an appointment for the wrong department 2 weeks later. Within days the error was sorted and I recieve appointment with consultant.

The consultant applied for funding. That was about 4 weeks ago.

dsarah1977 and I are both under hospital and consultant. But live in different boroughers. After hearing Sarah had funding, I've been trying to ring to find out if I do. Think Sarah saw consultant 2 weeks ago.

I'm under Lewisham PCT and this is what it says about bariatric surgery:

Bariatric surgery will only be considered for people if:
· they have been receiving intensive management at a specialized hospital
obesity clinic (eg that provided by Queen Mary’s Hospital)
· their BMI is greater or equal to 40 or between 35 and 40 in the presence of
significant morbid conditions that could be improved by weight loss
· they are 18 years or older
· there is evidence that all appropriate and available non-surgical measures
have been adequately tried but have failed to maintain weight loss
· there is no specific clinical or psychological contraindications to this type of
surgery
· individuals are generally fir for anaesthesia and surgery
· individual understand the need for long term follow-up

I hope I don't have to attend the obesity clinic.......If I do I bet I won't get my wls for at least a year.

What do you all think???

~~~X~~~

Back