• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Busy day in the life of a surgeon

Mrs_CakeyBun

Joy's the best makeup :-)
I came across this when I was doing research on surgeons and it shocked me to realise just how busy they can be even at this guys level (top dog as it were)
Professor Nadey Hakim is who I decided I wanted to do my surgery and I then went with the company I did because I felt the aftercare looked fab. anyways have a read.....

A day in the life of Professor Nadey Hakim, World President of the International College of Surgeons.
06:14
Alarm set at 6.14 am (Why 6.14? Because it gives me an extra minute before I need to get up!)
Drop my daughter at the bus stop at 6.55 - my other 3 children are driven to school by my wife Nicole.

07:15
Arrive at St Mary's.

07:15 - 08:00
Make 4 or 5 phone calls to Pacific and Asian (10 hours ahead) section Presidents of the International College of Surgeons, to keep in touch with all sections on a daily basis, as it is my responsibility as World President of the College to keep in close contact with all 105 sections worldwide.

08:00
Ward round at St Mary's.

08:30 - 12:30
Theatres to perform: general surgical cases or a living related kidney transplant. I always perform both the donor nephrectomy followed by the Transplant, always double gloving. I learned to double glove in the US, where I trained for 6 years. I have been doing that since 1987. It gives me a sense of extra safety and I do recommend all my trainees to do the same.

12:30 - 13:30
Back to my office to answer the usual 25 missed calls on my mobile and dictate/sign my letters and do other necessary paperwork.

13:30 - 14:30
As Editor-in-Chief of the International Surgery Journal, I review the numerous papers submitted on a daily basis. Work on research projects and write manuscripts.

14:30 - 15:30
See few patients at the Medicare Francais, which is a private French medical centre in town.

16:30
Perform surgery at the Cromwell Hospital.

17:30 - 18:30
See patients at my private clinic at Harley Street and perform surgery.

18:45
Back to St Mary's to review the patients I operated on on that day.

18:45
Make 4 or 5 phone calls to North and South American section Presidents of the International College of Surgeons.

19:30 - 20:30
Stop at home to see my wife and kids; and open my usually extensive private mail and pay all my bills on the day!

20:30 - 21:30
Work in my home sculpture studio on a clay portrait; or play the clarinet as I am preparing for my next recording

21:30 - 22:30
Check my private e-mails at home.

22:30 - 23:00
Watch TV/news

23:00 - 24:00
Read the national papers or work on my languages
I spend a lot of time in the car commuting between different hospitals, this time I use to call different hospitals to enquire about my patients and to plan the surgeries, book the anaesthetists and answer my previously missed calls.As you can see there is not much time for meals. It is usually a coffee in the morning, a banana for lunch and a dinner at home. My poor wife! Bed for me is usually after midnight.

Its amazing isnt it....but then Ive read before that these guys (and ladies) work hard and long hours for the pay they get....and then take long holidays

Its amazing isnt it....but then Ive read before that these guys (and ladies) work hard and long hours for the pay they get....and then take long holidays

After all that, I think he'd need long holidays!

I couldnt work like that ever:D

I keep thinking I will be fitted into his schedule on saterday at around 5.30pm lol :eek:

Back