• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens if you cant do the 30 mins a day excercise?

zns

Ive been wondering this for a while but have only just remembered to ask. Ive been advised to start doing the 30 minutes excercise a day now while waiting for my surgeons appointment to help prepare for surgery. However I have chronic back pain and can not stand for longer than about 1 minute at a time. I could go swimming but I can not afford to do so. Any ideas as to what happens in such cases?

well if you cant afford it and you cant exercise cause you are in pain then thats that - wouldnt worry if I were you. There are things you can do sitting in a chair that they could recommend and as long as you stick to any diet they give you prior to surgery and lose weight then it wont matter

My consultant asked me to do an hour a day exercise until he saw me again. Yesterday I went to see the dietician and explained that I do have a really bad knee and that I had done my best regarding exercise. She said that's fine, that's all we expect you to do. So I wouldn't panic too much ....

I think, correct me if i'm wrong, that they ask you to exercise but would be more than happy if you did five minutes six times a day. Now see if you were climbing stairs for five minutes that would be a killer, but a walk to the corner of your road and back is not so horrific.

But as the others say only you know what your capable of and what your body will let you do. If it has to be chair exercises then at least it is still exercise, i would suggest that you try and do something that makes your heart pump a little faster than it normally does. That doesn't include being silly, maybe hold a can of beans in each hand and do bicep curls or something?

But seriously if pain levels are really bad then am sure your health professionals will understand. Any effort is still an effort.

Good luck xxx

Hi there

I am VERY limited with excercise too, I have a little pedal machine that you can use whilst sitting on the sofa but my hip and back are soo bad that I cannot use it.

I am also restricted with arms/neck/hands but you can do gentle upper body excercises sitting down that increase your heart rate which is what I think they want you to do. Even small circular arm movements and lifting baked bean tins or similar all helps to burn energy.

If you are not working you may be able to apply for a leisure card in your local borough that gives you half price access to swimming, and other sports facilities. Uusually you can use these between 9am and 4pm weekdays. I also have the same problem as you regarding getting to and from the pool. And more importantly in and out of the pool. If you contact your local council you may find out you qualify for a taxi card which also includes the ability to book the mobility bus.

Also a lot of pools have a special session at least once a week for people with disabilities, they use a special lift for access in and out of the water.

You can also get excercise on prescription from your gp. As your pool is so far away, maybe you could see if there is an excercise group in a hall or community centre nearer to home that you could try.

These are all options I am looking into at the moment as I am almost completely housebound and sick of it. Also have you considered getting a mobility scooter as maybe that will allow you to get to the pool. I have up to now only used the mobility scooter when shopping that they provide, I am very self conscious of my size and hate the looks I get from people who think I only use one because I am fat, now the weight is coming off, I am thinking it is probably a good idea to invest in one.

Dont panic too much about it, just try and increase your activity a little, do what you can.

Oh and your gp should also be able t refer you to physio at your local hospital, they will be able to find suitable excercises for you, they may even have a physio pool you coudl use.

Xx

Hi there, sorry to hear your a lil worried about the exercise regime, but I think they do like you to get a little motivated after your surgery to get your circulation moving again. even if its only chair exercises just give your self 2 x 15 mins a day. Like swizzlesticks says get a tin of beans in each hand and with your arms stretched out bring them towards you, again later in the day just use your feet as if your walking on the spot for 15 mins. At least that will get your circulation on the move again. Hope this helps chuck Kind regards Gail.x

Hi there

I am VERY limited with excercise too, I have a little pedal machine that you can use whilst sitting on the sofa but my hip and back are soo bad that I cannot use it.

I am also restricted with arms/neck/hands but you can do gentle upper body excercises sitting down that increase your heart rate which is what I think they want you to do. Even small circular arm movements and lifting baked bean tins or similar all helps to burn energy.

If you are not working you may be able to apply for a leisure card in your local borough that gives you half price access to swimming, and other sports facilities. Uusually you can use these between 9am and 4pm weekdays. I also have the same problem as you regarding getting to and from the pool. And more importantly in and out of the pool. If you contact your local council you may find out you qualify for a taxi card which also includes the ability to book the mobility bus.

Also a lot of pools have a special session at least once a week for people with disabilities, they use a special lift for access in and out of the water.

You can also get excercise on prescription from your gp. As your pool is so far away, maybe you could see if there is an excercise group in a hall or community centre nearer to home that you could try.

These are all options I am looking into at the moment as I am almost completely housebound and sick of it. Also have you considered getting a mobility scooter as maybe that will allow you to get to the pool. I have up to now only used the mobility scooter when shopping that they provide, I am very self conscious of my size and hate the looks I get from people who think I only use one because I am fat, now the weight is coming off, I am thinking it is probably a good idea to invest in one.

Dont panic too much about it, just try and increase your activity a little, do what you can.

Oh and your gp should also be able t refer you to physio at your local hospital, they will be able to find suitable excercises for you, they may even have a physio pool you coudl use.

Xx

I dont live in London so I dont think a lot of those things are avaliable here. I have a second hand mobility scooter and use that around the village but the swimming pool is 10 miles away. Ive had the excercise prescription when my mobility was a bit better but they only offer the gym here and it was only slightly cheaper (I damaged my knee cartilidge going and now have knee problems as well).

They are rubbish about referring to physio here but I shall ask again.

Thanks for all the advice x

Hi there, sorry to hear your a lil worried about the exercise regime, but I think they do like you to get a little motivated after your surgery to get your circulation moving again. even if its only chair exercises just give your self 2 x 15 mins a day. Like swizzlesticks says get a tin of beans in each hand and with your arms stretched out bring them towards you, again later in the day just use your feet as if your walking on the spot for 15 mins. At least that will get your circulation on the move again. Hope this helps chuck Kind regards Gail.x

Thank you I shall try those x

Back