• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass after band?

Loooy72

Hi,

I had a gastric band 2 years ago now and weigh more than i did before that procedure.
I realise a lot of this is my own fault as i continue to eat in a similar way i did before the surgery and despite starting with renewed intention every Monday, i have usually failed by Tuesday!

I have never reached the "sweet spot" and have volleyed backwards and forwards from over to under restriction.

I was wondering if the gastric bypass procedure would be any more helpful in helping me to lose weight or whether i am just going to be a big fat waste of space for ever?

I have a big problem with my pelvis which severly restricts my mobility and ability to exercise, which has left me quite unmotivated, i think losing a lot of weight may help, but its very chicken and egg for me!

I would love to hear anyones opinions, especially if you have had a bypass after band.

Thanks

Claire

Hi

Sorry to hear the band hasn't worked for you! :(

There are a few band to bypass and band to sleeve peeps on here but not many post regularly.

Some food for thought for you, excuse the pun :D

I think they will all say you need to get your mind in the right place eating wise. Do you know what it is that is causing you to eat the way you are, have you considered CBT?

A bypass will give you the added malabsorption and you may 'dump' to steer you away from sweet food if thats your thing. The sleeve is restrictive only as I'm sure you know and it can take away the feeling of hunger. Not for everyone though.

Conversion surgery is a major operation and some surgeons will only do it as a two stage process.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Hi loooy, I too am hoping to go from band to bypass. My band was 12 years ago and I had problems with this straightaway and so it never really worked for me. I'm seeing the consultant on Monday and really keeping my fingers crossed that I'm suitable for the surgery. Will let you know how I get on. Keep your chin up.

Thanks Mazza
I have had many shots at CBT over the years, anti depressants and various hypno therapy! Still not doing to well with anything and have been quite disallusioned with the band as i find that there is half a ml difference between no restriction and over restriction. I can eat anything including all meat veg and bread at 11mls, but get to 11.5mls and i am unable to get water down! surgeon perplexed and said very occasionally it doesn't work!
So i appear to not have the tool available to help me and may as well be doing it without!

Was just wondering if a bypass is any more likely to give me any kind of restriction?

Thanks

Hi Fayz,

Its hard to think about going back for another surgery, particularly after feeling such a failure about not making the first one work for me, but i do feel strongly that i mustn't let my little girl see my constant battle with weight, i need to feel like joining in the human race again and i need to be "me" again!
Hope you get the ok for further surgery, i have an appointment next week!

Loooy x

Hi loooy72. I had a band in 2007, it was converted to a sleeve in 2012 after it had slipped badly, my port had flipped inside me and I was constantly being sick. On the 30th of May I am having that converted to a bypass as my band has caused severe stomach scarring meaning my sleeve has been unable to work properly. I should have just gone band to bypass but the thought of the bypass freaked me out so much. I am hoping this is it now as there is nowhere else for me to go! lol
The sleeve is fantastic and if I hadn't have had the band, it would have worked and I wouldn't have needed any further surgery.
Good luck whatever you decide xx

P.s My band was fitted by Mr Galloway too and I chose to go to Murrayfield in Edinburgh for my sleeve and now my bypass as their aftercare is far superior in my opinion. xx

Hi loooy
I know exactly what you mean about the guilt versus the desire to have a healthy, active future. My appointment went well. There are lots of additional risks that I was made aware of. Despite the possibility that that they may open me up and find the scar tissue is too severe to operate on I still want to go through with it and so I've booked! 24 June, day 1 of the new me. In the meantime I'm going to try and lose as much weight as possible to increase the chances of success and give myself a head start. Let me know how your appointment goes next week. Good luck.

Hi sashie - good luck on 30th may. Fingers crossed that this is a success. Let us know how you get on.

Hi sashie - good luck on 30th may. Fingers crossed that this is a success. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you Fayz, I will! :) Good luck to you too xx

Hey Sashie

How did you get on last week. Three weeks today for my surgery and I feel like I could just burst with excitement and nerves.

Hi fayz, all went well. I got home yesterday and I am back on the 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks soft food stages now.
So far, I am so glad I have done it. Good luck to you, I will be thinking of you xx

That's great to hear. Let me know if you have any tips for keeping sane during this waiting time. Hope it's a great success for you and look forward to hearing about your achievements as you make a full recovery.

Thank you so much xx

Just keep thinking about the positive end you will have. I have an amazingly supportive team who I can contact anytime which is a big help. Have you been asked to do a pre-op? xx

Yes the pre-op diet starts a week on Friday, 3 pints of milk and 2 small low fat young hurts for 10 days and I have my pre admission assessment two weeks today. That 10 day liver shrinking diet will certainly focus my mind!

Lol aww poor you. Fortunately I didn't have to do one, but I was eating so little with my sleeve there would be no point! xx

I have my mdt on Friday im hoping to bypass from band my band has slipped and im now at a bigger weight than I was befor but the band did work initially so lost 7 st gained 10 back but some of that due to medication im on hoping to get the final go ahead and a date or rough idea of when

Hi there i am a band to bypass, i too had no restriction with the band and in two years never lost any weight at all!

I had my conversion done end of August last year and at my heaviest i was 21st and i now weigh 15st 5lb, i too was worried that the bypass wouldnt work for me as the band hadnt, but i neednt have worried, i felt restriction instantly, it feels totally different to the band you can eat everything but just less of it. With the band there were lots of things that i couldnt eat (but still didnt lose any weight). It kind of feels like a tightening feeling below your ribs and unlike the band you really cant eat anymore you really feel like you cant eat another thing X

Hi Misshell,

Thats fantastic to hear. I have been to see a lovely consultant at a different hospital from the one i was banded at and asked to convert, he seems keener to try and help the band work for me, rather than jumping to bypass!

I was quite surprised as i have already seem a doctor from The Hospital Group who was very keen to get me to sign on the dotted line asap!

This new consultant has done and-ray with contrast to check my band is where it should be and filled me up under x-ray to get me to proper restriction--- and for the first time since i was banded i can actually feel restriction as long as i stick to non-slider foods! Amazing, can't believe it! So i am going to hang fire with the bypass for a few months and see how this goes.

Really glad you had a positive experience and if i have to go down that route, i will know it can work!

Thanks

Loooy

So pleased for you Loooey sounds like a great result.
Good to hear that Bypass to band can work so well Mishhell.
My bypass is on 24 June and I keep worrying that they'll be too much scar tissue and I'll wake up to find they couldn't do it

Back