• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass and returning to work

CHUCKY

hi all

when at pre op yesterday i was told i should be able to go back to work after 2 weeks, is this really likely?
What are people experiences of time off i am having open bypass.
thanks

I think two weeks is very optomistic for an open bypass. Going by others experiences it seems the average is 6 weeks.

I am having my open bypass in just over 2 weeks, and am hoping that I am able to return to work after 4 weeks but have told work it will be 4 - 6 weeks. Luckily I do flexi time, and have built up lots of credit so that I can work shorter days for a little while if necessary.

Hi i 2 think that 2 weeks is not very realistic time frame especially for open surgery. At my info meeting 2 days ago we were told bout 3 weeks if you do a job that does not include any lifting or physical work and 2 start it with a couple of days a week first and build it up over 2/3 weeks to a full week and that is with keyhole surgery.
Soz i dont know much bout open surgery but am sure there will be others along soon take care xx

Hi I had open bypass 8 weeks ago and the hospital gave me a sick note for 2 weeks and said that I needed to get another one from my docs. I can honestly say after 2 weeks I was no way ready for work, maybe at 4 weeks but at 2 was still in some pain and being solely on fluids you don't have much energy.

Take care xxxx

There is no way I could have returned to work after two weeks. I'd say six weeks is being more realistic. It really depends what type of job you do.

2 weeks I was 'OK' but still couldn't get comfy. My first note was for 2 weeks and I went to the doctors and he wrote me another note for 4 weeks with no hesitation! Just because you may feel 'OK' doesn't mean you're fit enough to go back to work. After 4 weeks I could have possibly gone back to work but there's still the issue of getting food settled etc before even considering spending a working day out!

I was told by my surgeon that up to 6 weeks and that's what I've told work. You MAY feel ok after 2 weeks just pottering around at home, but you exert so much more energy at work that to go back too soon could cause problems I would think.

i am a quick healer, hoping to be back within 2 weeks of surgery, luckily i sit on my 'arris all day driving the cab, have already explained to my company i won't be lifting, straining, doing wheelchairs for at least 3 months, obviously due to hernia risks etc and they were fine with that, but i shall play it by ear and see how i feel, i suppose the old adage is listen to your body, it'll tell you if 1) you're ready, and 2) if you're over doing it

I'm a bander and there is no way I would have been able to go back to work after 2 weeks. If you're having bypass then its a longer recovery period so I think you will need longer off work. Depending on your job too. If you have a desk job then you could probably go back 3/4 weeks post op but if you have a manual job then I'd make sure you are fully recovered before considering going back to work.

me too Im only having 2 weeks off!

my opp is on 19th August told I will be in for 3 - 5 days so Im going back on 7th Sept ! Im self employed and when im off ill I dont get ssp :( so i have no choice :d'oh:

ditto for me too :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Driving again I was told 6 weeks. I had 10 weeks of work I couldnt walk up right for 3 weeks I had an infection in the wound area I had no energy with been on liquids. I am sure it takes more than 2 weeks to heal on the inside

Good luck

thanks everyone was told driving normally 2 weeks but as long as you can do emergency stop and insurance company ok it.
I will just wait and see about work i am not rushing back will go back when i feel ok
cheers

I went back after two weeks (bypass via keyhole) but it exhausted me so I am part time at the mo till my energy levels increase - luckily it is non term time otherwise I would not have the option!

Always check with your insurance company re lgally back on the road - I am ok to drive but not ride my bikes yet - better to check before rather than after the effect!

I manage a childrens home for vunerable but volitile teenagers so i'm looking to take at least a month of more so for the possible danger of injury that said work have been great and are happy to do a phased return if necessary. Like Julie i was told 2 weeks for driving but was also advised to check with insurance company xx

I started driving after 2 weeks and went back to work after 5 weeks.
I cook all day and the job is quite physical, I reckon I could have gone back after 3-4 weeks if the work was not physical and tiring.

Its the inside that does take longer to heal. Just because our scars are healing on the out side does'nt mean we're the same on the inside. The keyholes are just superficial but the insides are moved about and rerouted and will take a longer time to settle down and start healing. I would never advise anyone to rush into anything after having these ops.Good luck to you allxx

Back