• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long off work?

I had my bypass on the Wednesday and felt so well could have gone back to work the following Monday. However, no one would drive me as I was told I couldn't drive for two weeks and as my back was very bad then so public transport was out of the question. I spent the two weeks cleaning the house. Although I felt tired, which went away around the 3month stage I think it was my body adjusting to a drastic reduction of food. Everyone is different.

I had lap, and went back after 2 1/2 weeks (as had my op on a Wednesday). I didn't tell my HR what surgery I was having, but warned them in advance that I would be having surgery and that I would require sick leave. I arranged for a family member to pick up a sick note for the 2 1/2 weeks on the day of my surgery from my GP (couldn't be done in advance) and she sent it to head office for me. Don't know what it said on it as was busy being cut open at the time :D

My job is desk based and I was fine, but still tired and could have stayed at home longer!

Hi there - my company's sickness policy states that if it is elective surgery (gives example of private cosmetic surgery) I would need to take holiday. I wasn't sure quite what this meant and asked my manager to look into it. She confirmed that as it is an NHS op and my doctor has referred me, it is covered under the sickness policy. Someone else I work with is having some private treatment for her eyes and has to take holiday.

Mintball, thanks for asking this question. I was tying to work out when to start work and what time I will need for recovery from surgery. I do locum work but can't give a go ahead to my agency to source contracts as I don't know when between now and April my surgery will be and how long it will take to be recovered enough to drive and walk. I will be having a lap GB.

well after surgery I think the norm is not to drive for 6 weeks think you wont be insured if you have a accident bit I could be wrong

well after surgery I think the norm is not to drive for 6 weeks think you wont be insured if you have a accident bit I could be wrong

Really? :eek:. That would be a bummer as driving is essential for my job. Could it be that it's 6 weeks if you've had open surgery?

Hi was just wondering how long you have waited so far for your funding?

I waited 21 weeks from seeing the GP to getting funding, but they were 21 weeks on constant nagging and pushing. I was turned down first time and told to go to weight management for two years but I carried on my fight and got funding....had my op in November and its the best thing ever...xx

Really? :eek:. That would be a bummer as driving is essential for my job. Could it be that it's 6 weeks if you've had open surgery?

Check with your insurers but I think this is for open surgery, I was ten days...you have to be able to do an emergency stop without causing harm to yourself...xx

When it came up ages ago about not being able to have sick pay for this surgery I mentioned it to Mr Ammoris secretary. She said there are ways around it and the sick note can say something that they would not know. This is providing you had not told everyone which I did not. I told work I had surgery but not what it was for. In the grand scheme of things three weeks to recover is not long after major surgery but if you go back too soon you could end up giving yourself a set back....so Lisa stop feeling guilty and take another week off. You have to be able to eat properly as well whilst at work.....so do as Kim....oops sorry Linda tells you chick...xx

and dont forget If you have sickness insurance on your morgage and loans they will be paid for you. I get full pay for 8 weeks then 1/2 pay after that so hoping go back work about 10 weeks

Plus,

My surgeon told me for laporascopic gastric bypass, I could drive for 10 days but as long as i was comfortable enough to do an emergency stop i had to follow my body but not to rush.

The decision has now been taken away from me cos hubby doesn't want me to go back to work this week as i had a visitor yesterday for 2 hours and when she'd gone i was exhausted (i hadn't even done anything)...to the point I was slurring my words cos of lack of concentration and tiredness. I thinsk its dawned on me and with advice from the cleaner (thats you kim) my body is running on barely any fuel so I'm hoping to phone GP tomorrow for extension of sick note and my vitamins which will hopefully help

x x x

Lisa yup good idea listen to your body, i am now almost a month post op and still tire easil

Oh my oh my, I just can't take that much time off! I am currently at uni and to take that much time would see me doing another year of training! I was hoping for a 2 week recovery! Anyway not thinking about that yet as I am waiting for a yes from nhs, which could take a while anyway|!

Just spoke to hospital and once they heard my voice, they're worried i may have vocal paralysis from the anaesthetic!!!

I have to not speak for two days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and try to rest my body and voice for the next week so they've officially signed me off for another week.

x x x

To all your employer has no need to know your reasons for being of sick.
You are required to provide a sick note for the time and that is all. You don't need to inform your work place anything about your surgery, if you are self funding or not is of no difference.
Any information you decide to tell your employer is confidential, they should not ask what you are off for although they probably will (we are all nosy !)
It is entirely up to you how much/little you tell them. Your are entitled to SSP if nothing else, dependent on what your contract of employment says.
The fact that your surgery is elective has no bearing on sick leave, if you are not fit for work you are sick !
Your GP, Surgeon and hospital will back you up, that you are not fit for work, and will provide you with any sick notes you need.
I would say the worst thing you could do is rush going back to work.If you try to rush things it could have a detrimental effect on you return to full fitness, and a return to work.

Hope this is of some help

Ta very glad Dale
OOOhh yeh I have now lost 3 stone 7weeks and only 1 week post opp

Ta very glad Dale
OOOhh yeh I have now lost 3 stone 7weeks and only 1 week post opp

Jeepers. That weight loss is amazing. well done Dale

Back