• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long off work?

mintball

Hi,

Just a quick question so I can get a rough idea.

How long were you off work after a laporoscopic gastric bypass?

I'm just asking cos i can't see myself feeling up to full strength after 2 weeks, a few people have told me they were off for 3 weeks, just wondered about the rest of you?

Thanks x x x

Sorry I can't help, cos I work from home and haven't done any work since having my Op, but didn't want to read and run, I am sure someone will be along to help out soon.x

Hi the hospital gave me a sick note for 4 weeks that ran out and my doctor gave me another 6 weeks so all in all 10 weeks for me at the mo on week 5

To be honest I am on week 9 now and its took me till now to start and feel ready to go out lol, Next week I start the gym, so I do feel ready now, so going by that 10 weeks too. x

i had to book time off as it was elective surgery, so i booked 2 weeks was due to go back but thats now turned into almost 6 weeks due to my complications. I know i am not ready to go back, and as i lose 4 shifts as a result of the sick note advising 4 weeks from hospitalisation so i am going to take the lot which measand i am off until the 18th of this month

Im hoping to go back before 12 weeks. At the mo if I stand in the kitchen peeling veg my back starts to hurt around the waist area and my scar is still tender

hi tendersage, would sterilization or hysterectomy not be classed as elective surgery? bypass is still for your health surely they should allow you to have it all as sick, it seems unfair to have to use your own leave.
xx

nope those are not elective therefore are considered assick leave, but WLS is elective and not considered sick leave. Its something i discussed with my manager, he understood the health implications of me doing it and said that if he could have would have given it to me as sick but as i went private it couldnt be classed as sick leave. I do not mind giving up some holiday time for this its important to me... still i got another 4 weeks out of it lol so i am not going to complain. I managed my hoolidays in the previous year to allow for this

oh as long as you okay with that and as you say its important for the rest of you life....i am able to take sick leave but perhaps thats because it is nhs funded...
x

seems strange that been steralized isnt selective I chose to have that done. My doctor just put on sick note recovering from surgery. So wonder if it makes a differance if you go private than on the NHS

yes me to teen...thats why i thought it was selective cos i chose to have it done...think they make their own rules up he! he!
x

can I just ask - are all ur answers for laporascopic surgery or open?

Also i was self0funded but my employer said if a sick note was provided, then it was classed as sick!!

x x x

this thread has got me a bit worried to be honest. Im not working at the moment but desperately job seeking. Hopefully I will get a job before I have surgery (i'm not even on waiting list yet - still waiting for funding) but I dont think having to take 8 - 10 weeks off will go down well with my new employers. I was hoping I might be able to manage with a couple of weeks off. If (when) I have my bypass it will be open surgery.

Are there any people here that have returned to work much sooner than this?

Hi Lisa
Everyone's different and i suppose a lot depends on your health and fitness level pre op, like you i was getting tired out towards the end of week 2 post op, and my consultant advised that i take a further week of, he explained that my body had been through a massive amount of trauma dispite only having a few tiny scars to show for it, and all my energy was being directed inwards to heal the surgery !
As your fit and healthy and have no complications, i'd image another week maybe and you'll be back to speed. ;)

Hi all
I had my op on 27th December so was off work on leave anyway for the Christmas period and didn't need a sick note. Was due back on the 5th Jan but wasn't able to drive so phoned in sick and returned on 8th Jan feeling fine. I didn't want a sick note as didn't want to have to tell anyone at work. I think the 'elective' thing depends very much on the organisation you work for. I know my place would accept a sick note that said 'recovering from surgery' without questioning what it was and whether I chose it or not. my surgeon suggested two weeks off was the average but it depends on the individiual and the job you have (mine is mostly desk based.) Hope this helps!

I work with people with learning disabilities and it can be heavy work at times

Hi was just wondering how long you have waited so far for your funding?
Hi
I went privately chuck but there are plenty of peeps on here who will give you advice on NHS funding.
Good luck

Back