• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass done..home now..bit of advice?

tpt

Uber geek
Hey!

Well I am home. I think I may have been a little blase about the pain for this op (given that I have had stomach surgery before - non WLS):( .So - drove there for midday, was in theatre by 2.30 and woke up at 6.30pm. Was on a morphine (plus saline plus oxygen etc) but refused the morphine becuase I can't stand the stuff. Was very woozy and very sore. By 1.30am I buzzed for the nurse as I needed a wee and wanted to get up. I got up 3 further times during the night to wee and by the 3rd time the nurse agreed to take all my feeds off. Stats were good so Mr Li, my surgeon said I could go home the next day.

I have to tell you that the air they pumped in was excrutiating..it sits right under the rib cage and is terrible - get up as soon as you can and walk it off.

I am by no means pain free but am much better than Wed - the 130 mile drive home was hell! I am still in and out of sleep pretty much all of the day. Have reduced my day pain releif down to nil (just too much to keep sipping!) and now just have 2 soluble solpadol at night which pretty much knocks me out.

I am managing a few inches of tea in the morning (and I am a tea aholic so that is a first!), 1/2 glass milk a day, few spoons SF jelly and dissovlable multi-vits. Am taking the anti-acids twice daily too. No appetite, but as I feel so dizzy and a bit weak, I am forcing myself to get what I can down my throat.

Also - I have to take the tiniest sips otherwise it feels like I am swalowing my tongue with each mouthful!!

Am attachng a pic of my glue scars - sorry if the pics offends, just wanted to show you what a neat job he has done!

How long before I can swallow without the pain, before the dizziness and tiredness goes away?

Attachments

• P1020163.JPG
    P1020163.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 81
Hi Tpt

Amazing job on the glue stitches!!! I'm 4 weeks out still got a nasty scab and the internal stitshes that were poking out well 2 of them came off yesterday!

Today I felt up for a walk, Yay! Yesterday I slept ~ nearly all day, managed a gruelling trip to costco over lunch time came home and collapsed. The day before utterly wacked, but we had been to a festival for the weekend, where I didn't sleep quite as much, but I still feel like I'm paying for it now. I keep talking to people about it and they reckon 6 weeks. So I guess I'll be patient for a bit longer. The dietitian recommended taking iron 3 times a day instead of twice and I'm going for the b12 soon which also allegedly boosts!

Swallowing, Humph. mine seems random, I've just opened a tin of mackerel, which was a small meal on the pre op diet, I've eaten less than half! I think it's to do with how much water I take with it, I know yr not supposed to take any, but I have all my liquid meds first thing, had a walk,took himself to the tube ~bad leg!~ which left quite a long gap between drinking and eating and I feel it's made a big difference. Having said all that I can eat a lot more than I thought I would be able too generally speaking, but still get the choking feeling on occasion. It does seem to take a while to get to know it.

General advice seems to be slowly slowly chew chew chew. Good luck and keep me posted, the tiredness is a ***** though isn't it?

wow how neat do them scars look , well done you to be up and about , your having a good start sure things will only go onwards and upwards well apart from your weight lol x

Woot shes awake ! lol how goes it pooper trooper loser ? :rotflmao:

You got a seriously nice job on those glues, I hope mine look as good.
Glad to hear your feeling better, you have been in and out super quick so be careful :)
Now for the best bit, the weight loss.
gl hunxx

tpt, glad to see you're out and up and about, the scars look well tidy

You got a seriously nice job on those glues, I hope mine look as good.

Mr Pollard prefers open surgery, well that's what he said and that's what i'm getting (maybe due to my size??)....another question you might wanna ask him to clarify on your appt

Congrats on being a loser! The dizzy/tired feelings are partially based on the anesthetic that is still in your system, that will fade in a few days. Another component of the dizzy/tired is lack of calories and protein, make sure you get plenty of fluids in and lots of protein. Lastly the tired/dizzy feelings are from the fact that you have had major trauma to your body through surgery. Most people need a minimum of 2 weeks to feel a bit normal, I know I did. Some people need a bit longer, 4-6 weeks of rest and taking things slow. Just listen to your body, if it says rest then rest! Make sure to hydrate, it is very, very important during the early days in order to heal. The sips will become less painful as your pouch swelling reduces, just take tiny sips for now. Try alternating between hot & cold fluids, it seems to help with the swelling.

Take care,
Nic;)

Mr Pollard prefers open surgery, well that's what he said and that's what i'm getting (maybe due to my size??)....another question you might wanna ask him to clarify on your appt

NOooooooo i dont want open that is the 1 thing i dont want. really.!!:cry:

I have it on my list to ask, but that also explains the 3 - 5 days in hospital in his booklet :cry::cry::cry:
I will fight for keyhole for sure. God now Im not happy, really not happy

Nice job there TPT.

Mr Li is now my consultant at the MRI though I have yet to meet him. :eek: Mind you it's only been five months and two visits for follow ups.

Swallowing will get easier as time passes, as long as you sip and don't gulp. Even now if I forget and take in too much the pain is awful.

I still get some pain now and again with hot drinks, and often the first thing down my throat in the morning is a little uncomfortable, but that is getting better.

Tiredness will pass as you get to the pureed stage, and the dizziness with me is usually a lack of water, though I have heard low sodium levels can cause this too. Getting two litres of clear liquid down your neck is important but I still struggle to get enough in each day.

You should also get your BP checked, especially if you are on BP meds. I suffered a lot in the first few days until I went to get mine checked at the doctors. He immediatley reduced my meds and that helped. My BP had dropped to 97 over 60. It has now settled to 116 over 80.

Remember you have just been through the wringer chuck and it will take a while for you to regain your strength and for everything to settle down. Give yourself time.

Good luck.

I have it on my list to ask, but that also explains the 3 - 5 days in hospital in his booklet :cry::cry::cry:

the only other option if you are against the open surgery is maybe asking to be see Mr Dexter at the Nuffield, he defo does keyhole, BUT how long might a delay be?? you need to ask these questions, i hope he'll do you by keyhole, just obviously passing on the limited bit of info as i've already seen him

Thanks all...such reassuring advise as usual. I am supposed to go back to work on Aug 3rd (just desk duties (lesson planning etc) as its non term time) but will see how I feel.

I have bought some Tesco protein milk shake powder - is that what I should be having?

I am having trouble with the dissolvable multi-vits - they are gross! 4 more days of injections to go.....it seems such a mammoth task to take all the tablets!!!

Mr Li says that it depends on whether your surgeon is trained to do it lapascopically or not..he said that ther is much less risk via key hole, but it depends on the training of your consultant.

Don't worry Elffie, ask for a different doc if he insists on open if it is that important? I am sure you will be fine either way but totally understand your concerns.

<hugz>

Welcome home tpt!

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Delighted all went well and your scars looks very neat!

Love Mini xxx

I have bought some Tesco protein milk shake powder - is that what I should be having?

I've never taken protein powders, nor been advised to.

Congrats tpt for the op and being on road to recovery so quickly :0clapper:

:slap:I think a slap is in order for you madam:asskick:
At the end of the day at least you will get the surgery. I know open is harder to recover from but most of the scars i've seen from open surgery are very faint and hardly show unless you are going to flash the flesh to the nation all day :D

Congrats tpt for the op and being on road to recovery so quickly :0clapper:

:slap:I think a slap is in order for you madam:asskick:
At the end of the day at least you will get the surgery. I know open is harder to recover from but most of the scars i've seen from open surgery are very faint and hardly show unless you are going to flash the flesh to the nation all day :D

lmao sorry Tpt for hijacking your thread ;)
lamornamiss thx for that lol, Im against it cos Ive had a c section and my tummy is numb just above the scar :cry: so I dont want more numb bits , im a numbty as it is i dont need help :D Im going to ring and ask..

TPT im out of here lol sorry hunny, take it easy with those protein shakes and the work thing

wow that looks great hun. glad your home take care. LOSE LOSE LOSE xxxxxx

Good to hear you are home tpt and that you are doing well Only natural to be tired and a bit sore but that will soon right itself
Your wounds sites are brill nice bit of work there you must be pleased
All the best for the forthcoming weeks and take care of yourself lots of fluids and rest till your fitter

Jay xx

As far as I know Pollard only does open bypass. Dexter is the Leeds man for lap surgery. Dexter's my man and he still said he might have to convert to open due to lots of previous surgery making things difficult once he gets inside. Personally I've had so much surgery one more scar on the old battle field won't make any difference to me. It's the recovery time that is shorter hopefully with lap surgery.

However once I'm out for the count I won't care as long as it's all over when I wake up!

Back