• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back home and in need of a bit of TLC!!!

uglyduck16

Hi Everyone :wave_cry:
I had the op on friday at 8.30am and am now back home. I am in a lot of pain, and i am finding it hard to drink a lot other than tiny sips here and there and can't get my regular meds down. I have just had a long journey back home and feel tired and cr*p!!! :(
Just wondered what other peoples experiences where on the first few days/week post op- i keep trying to remind myself of my long term goals and why i did this, why i am going through this pain- but it is hard when i feel so cr*p!! :confused:
It is nice to be home anyway, i will tell you more about it when i feel a bit better!
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Hi Lizzie,

First I am glad your op went well and you safely home. Second, you really should have been given your regular meds in liquid/soluble form. I suggest you give your team a call to help you with that. That said, in the mean time most pills can be crushed and added to a small spoon of yogurt which should go done easily. Use your discharge pain medication, that should control your pain but if it does not again let your team know so they can sort it out for you.

Get lots of rest & try and relax. Hope you have a speedy recovery.;)

Hiya
I have got some of my meds in liquid form, but not all of them! My gp got very stroppy about it when we asked her for the prescription of them in liquid form and said she wanted something in writing. The pharmasist told us that it is possible to get them all made up into liquids, it is just all about money- which at the end of the day makes us cross if it is about money because we have saved the NHS a lot of money by going private!
I tried taking the ones that where not in liquids, crushed whilst i was in hospital but i just could not stomach it- it tasted yuk!! They where all so relaxed at the hospital and said that it did not matter if i did not have them all in liquid form, i could take it crushed (which i couldn't because i couldn't stomach it- literally!) SO- to them, it probably didn't matter, but to me it does!!! :sigh:
Saying this though, i am still stuggling, even with liquids- i just feel too full and get pain and then find it hard to have anymore :(:cry:
When will this pain wear off?? I just want to be able to start enjoying loosing weight and getting into a BMI that is healthy, my mum keeps telling me it is very eary days- but i am finding it hard to hang on to that, all i want is for the pain to bu**er off and for it all to get a bit easier!!! I dunno- HELP!!! :confused:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Hi Lizzie sorry to hear your feeling crap, get plenty of rest and take your pain meds you will feel better soon chick...and it will be worth it in the long run....(((hug)))....xx

I am so sorry that you have had such terrible treatment so far. It is not part of recovery to not be able to swallow liquids. That is concerning and the pain should not be unmanaged by pain meds. I would really think about calling your bariatric nurse. It is normal to be swollen, uncomfortable and tired but not in intense pain and unable to swallow liquids.:confused:

Let us know how you are doing. Feel better:)

Yup, what the star PG said, get back to the team that carried out the surgery regarding the pain and the problems with liquid.

The pain could well be trapped wind, which might ease off with a bit of gripe water if you can get it down.

Hi Lizzie, so glad to hear your op went well. the pain and discomfort lasted for a few days for me the trapped wind lasted what felt like forever. i really struggled to eat or drink anything for the first few days but it did get easier as each day passed. try to rest and take things easy x

Congratulations on your surgery and sorry you are feeling so rubbish. It will pass quickly. I'm on day 11 post surgery and have been feeling great up till today when I feel a bit ropey. Fingers crossed you'll be fine in a few days and think of the bigger picture, in a few months when you are down loads of pounds you will know that all this pain wil have been so so worth it

Alia xxx

Pleased everything went well. and mums do know best! it is early days, i am sure each day you will feel a little better, take it easy and i look forward to hearing your weight losses. Bridie X:)

Hi Lizzie,
Congratulations on having the op. You will feel ropey for the first few days, and very tired. I struggled getting the disolvable pain killers down, in fact, I didn't take any after leaving hospital. Do you have the fastabs that dissolve on your tongue? They are more expensive, but as you say, you have saved the NHS a lot of money!!

Good luck and keep your chin up, it will only get easier from here.
Lottie
xx

Hi Lizzy,

I'm glad to hear your home. Sorry to hear your having trouble keeping anything down still. I am still in pain too, our surgeon was really good though, so i'm sure your body will respond well in a few days. Keep your chin up mate, your over the worst part (surgery). Put your foot down with your GP. Spell it out if you have to that you saved nhs loads or get your mum to. Say hello to her from me (the restless one pacing the corridor to loose the boredom). Hope your feeling better very soon and try to keep it real in your mind. Just think of next year when you will be so full of energy you won't know what to do with yourself. lv r

Hi Lizzie and welcome to the losers club :D

The pain will get better, your bodies screaming out for rest, all your energys going into fixing the trauma inside you, for the first week after my op all i did was sleep ! dont worry about trying to eat anything if you cant or dont feel like it, just sip the water, i had trouble drinking cold water, found warmed up milk and milky tea went down a lot better than cold water, all your insides will be swollen and sore, dont try pushing it.

GP - She's probably waiting for the referal letter from your surgeon telling her what you need, like others have said call your sugeons support team and ask there advice, if its required he can write you a prescription for the liquid meds to get you through.
Dont worry about your GP, mine was the same, its not there fault really as most dont understand much about WLS, infact i found i actually knew more about it and the complications than he did ! its quite common. :D

But all in it does get easier, you wil re learn to eat, the pain your feeling now wil go and in a few weeks your'll be feeling like yourself again.

Yes that will help your body recover, I was very tired afterwards but although I sat snuggled up on the sofa I did not manage to sleep during the day....xx

It takes about 7 days for the anasthetic to completely wear of too - i was told that if i felt tired and wanted to sleep then sleep. Was also told not to worry about not eating, my consultant said that if you dont want to eat then dont, you have about 2 million calories to burn so its not going to hurt you if you dont eat for a week ! as he's a published world authority on WLS i tend to believe what he says !

Hi. I have returned home today after having band surgery yesterday and can sympathise with you. Although my op not as complex I am surprised at the discomfort but like you I can't manage the tablets crushed. Am going to try mixing them in yoghurt as i don't like liquid forms. Don't take any messing form your G.P. -

Sorry, got cut short with last message. Back to GP's. They need to bear in mind that we are saving their budgets long term by taking risk and responsibility. I am a nurse and so know what they can be like. I would plainly state that I would be puting in a written complaint with regard to their negligence.Am off to see mine tomorrow to worm some anti-sickness medication off them so will see wha happens.I also can only manage sips of water which I am not too worried about this early post-op. I am sure it gets better and will be worth it. Heather xx

Back