• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass -v- Sleeve

kimmiekoo

Hi all,

I'm really confused and unsure of which procedure would be the best for me I saw my surgeon last week who advised me that more frequently they are performing more sleeves (Sheffield) I had got it in mind from the start of this journey it was going to be the bypass so I'm really confused he gave me both leaflets and told me even I have up to the morning of surgery to decide such a big decision for the patient to make I would like them to decide for me they're the one's with all the knowledge :-(

Anybody else been in same situation as me and had to choose which surgery they are wanting to have?

I would be most appreciative of any views from people who have been in my shoes.

Thanks Folks
:wave_cry:

I havent been in your shoes as such but I read up on the sleeve and researched it etc etc

However when I had an endoscopy the consultant told me that I should have a bypass. I think you should ask your team what they think is best for you.

I know with bypass you have to have injections for life along with vitamins i think. A sleeve you dont get the malabsorption.

Hope it helps and I am sure that there are lots of people on here who will have better advice than me. Good luck xx

Hi Kim, best thing to do I'm afraid is research, research, research. Unless a medical reason dictates otherwise the decision really is yours.

I recently had my surgery and I went with the sleeve, I hope it will assist me to lose the expected 60% excess weight (70% for bypass) but the deal breaker for me in choosing was the whole malabsorption issue and like Joanne mentions, the injection and vitamins for life.

Good luck with your decision and journey.

I initially decided on having a band I till I went to my seminar and heard about the sleeve the I researched it in the few weeks upto seeing the surgeon and then decided on the sleeve, that was also recommended for me too. I was adamant I didn't want the bypass, but that's personal preference. At sheffield with both the sleeve and the bypass you have to take vitamins, and minerals aswell as have a b12 vitamin injection every 3 months. If you need more explaining about the pros and cons of both then I don't think the team would mind you calling and asking, they're there to help. Xxx

Kirsty

Also, the thing that made me want the sleeve was the fact that the way your food is digested isn't changed, so you absorb everything the way you do now and I thought that would be better for me and my body... Xxx

Kirsty

Hey,

I'm in two minds too... I think Sleeve as researched more and seem to understand more.

I asked the team which would be best for me (explained my eating habits etc) and they said as I'm young, either will be good for me.

It is a huge choice and my team have said they cant sway me either way (understand but find slightly odd).

In a way I'd rather they said 'X is the best for you' and then that is what I'd have done.

My team also ask you to take vitamins etc for either surgery... But I have excessively low Vit D anyway (23 when should be over 300) so have to take tablets now anyway.

The sleeve part for me is 'less stapling back up' and 'less points to leak' and 'same digestive route'.... But I see how the bypass would almost 'better' with a 'smaller pouch' (all my own opinions and random thoughts, lol)

I too can change my mind up to the point I start my pre-op... They did say if I choose bypass and my intestines arent long enough (????) or problems, then they do a Sleeve anyway.

Its a personal journey... Chose the one you are most educated about xxx

I also was having a sleeve, but surgeon recommended bypass due to previous weight gain & that the stats are more established than sleeve. When opened up, technically I had both!
The absorption issues are controllable for the majority & the vits etc should be considered for all bariatric patients.
That said, if I were 35 or under, or yet to have kiddlywinks I still feel I would opt for sleeve re absorption.
As everyone has advised, the choice is yours & you can only make an informed decision.
Read up as much as possible hun xx

Hey,

I'm in two minds too... I think Sleeve as researched more and seem to understand more.

I asked the team which would be best for me (explained my eating habits etc) and they said as I'm young, either will be good for me.

It is a huge choice and my team have said they cant sway me either way (understand but find slightly odd).

In a way I'd rather they said 'X is the best for you' and then that is what I'd have done.

My team also ask you to take vitamins etc for either surgery... But I have excessively low Vit D anyway (23 when should be over 300) so have to take tablets now anyway.

The sleeve part for me is 'less stapling back up' and 'less points to leak' and 'same digestive route'.... But I see how the bypass would almost 'better' with a 'smaller pouch' (all my own opinions and random thoughts, lol)

I too can change my mind up to the point I start my pre-op... They did say if I choose bypass and my intestines arent long enough (????) or problems, then they do a Sleeve anyway.

Its a personal journey... Chose the one you are most educated about xxx

You must be the same as me I just want the professionals to do what they think is the best! the one from a professional opinion is the safest and benefits us the most, I had the mind set of bypass as I know 2 of my friends have been through this procedure the sleeve is fairly new its this that worries me the most its kind of a newbie op compared to bypass but then ya inside's are not being pulled & sewn together!

Dr Ackroyds team did try saying go with the sleeve for the safest option & weight loss these days is on a par with the bypass, what is now swaying me more towards the sleeve is the portion sizing I have already down graded plate sizes and finding that fine as portion size was one of my issues its just the worry of the new stomach getting a bit bigger in a few years time :-/, the team say research as much as possible but exactly how much can u do they all read the same!

I have been put on some calcium tablets & vitamin d as my level were slightly low this happening could be another sway towards the sleeve for the nutriets in the food I'm eating being absorbed as they normally would have if these levels are low now how low could they get on a bypass :-(

xx

You must be the same as me I just want the professionals to do what they think is the best! the one from a professional opinion is the safest and benefits us the most, I had the mind set of bypass as I know 2 of my friends have been through this procedure the sleeve is fairly new its this that worries me the most its kind of a newbie op compared to bypass but then ya inside's are not being pulled & sewn together!

Dr Ackroyds team did try saying go with the sleeve for the safest option & weight loss these days is on a par with the bypass, what is now swaying me more towards the sleeve is the portion sizing I have already down graded plate sizes and finding that fine as portion size was one of my issues its just the worry of the new stomach getting a bit bigger in a few years time :-/, the team say research as much as possible but exactly how much can u do they all read the same!

I have been put on some calcium tablets & vitamin d as my level were slightly low this happening could be another sway towards the sleeve for the nutriets in the food I'm eating being absorbed as they normally would have if these levels are low now how low could they get on a bypass :-(

xx

I want to have children one day, so I think the sleeve for absorbtion etc. I just keep reading everything I can find! xx

The bypass is excellent for weight loss but there are some side effects I didn't really want. My sis had bypass 8 years ago and has kept off all her weight but must get a lot of iron infusions and it takes a long time to get the infusions. She also does NOT dump. Did you know only 30-40% of bypass patients dump. That means you are more than likely not to dump. Some people get bypass thinking they will dump when they eat sugar or high fat and are surprised when they don't dump. Seems the vitamin issues are more common with bypass if you look at the studies. However, you can get iron deficient with the sleeve too if u aren't careful it's just less common. I take a multivitamin with iron, calcium with D and magnesium, and b complex just to be on the safe side. The positives with bypass ARE that you might lose more weight and might dump if you WANT to. I did not want to dump really. Although I've heard a small percentage of sleevers do dump which is perplexing but apparently a small bit do! Anyway it's such a big choice. Both surgeries are typically successful so I don't think you can go wrong either way you just have to pick the one that fits your lifestyle best.
OH and I wanted to say I've had several friends who had bypass. One friend had her bypass a month before me. She can eat MORE than me. So don't think the bypass pouch is always smaller. It depends on how big your surgeon makes your sleeve or your pouch. I had a sleeve with a 32 FR bougie which means smallest size and I eat less than my bypass friends. Some surgeons make larger pouches or larger sleeves so how much you can eat will depend on how the surgeons make it. Anyway I've written a book AGAIN lol so hopefully you got some info you find useful out of it. :)

I want to have children one day, so I think the sleeve for absorbtion etc. I just keep reading everything I can find! xx

Yeh me too hopefully by the time I reach late 30's I asked this to the nurses at hosp either op is safe for pregnancy they keep a close eye on you for both :) xx

The bypass is excellent for weight loss but there are some side effects I didn't really want. My sis had bypass 8 years ago and has kept off all her weight but must get a lot of iron infusions and it takes a long time to get the infusions. She also does NOT dump. Did you know only 30-40% of bypass patients dump. That means you are more than likely not to dump. Some people get bypass thinking they will dump when they eat sugar or high fat and are surprised when they don't dump. Seems the vitamin issues are more common with bypass if you look at the studies. However, you can get iron deficient with the sleeve too if u aren't careful it's just less common. I take a multivitamin with iron, calcium with D and magnesium, and b complex just to be on the safe side. The positives with bypass ARE that you might lose more weight and might dump if you WANT to. I did not want to dump really. Although I've heard a small percentage of sleevers do dump which is perplexing but apparently a small bit do! Anyway it's such a big choice. Both surgeries are typically successful so I don't think you can go wrong either way you just have to pick the one that fits your lifestyle best.
OH and I wanted to say I've had several friends who had bypass. One friend had her bypass a month before me. She can eat MORE than me. So don't think the bypass pouch is always smaller. It depends on how big your surgeon makes your sleeve or your pouch. I had a sleeve with a 32 FR bougie which means smallest size and I eat less than my bypass friends. Some surgeons make larger pouches or larger sleeves so how much you can eat will depend on how the surgeons make it. Anyway I've written a book AGAIN lol so hopefully you got some info you find useful out of it. :)

Thanks for that I am most grateful for all the info I really am xx :D

Back