• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all post/pre op Whittington peeps

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi was wondering if any of u experienced Whittington peeps could tell me roughly how long was it from ur info meeting till your op date.
Or any peeps who have not had surgery yet but have had ur info meeting and consultant app were u told how long roughly it would be till your op.
Thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Last edited:
Hi Hon,
I was refered in March by my GP it took 11 weeks untill my first appt which was the group session on the 11th June! then it was to be 8 weeks untill the appt with the consultant this has changed unfortunatly due to Mr Sufi is away at the time of my origanal appointment, so it looks like its going to be 12 weeks now, I don't mind this now, this is because at first they changed it for much later than the one I have now.
We were told all depending on what test you may have to have, if no test it will take around 10 weeks untill surgery from consultation.
Hugs xxx

Hi Hon,
I was refered in March by my GP it took 11 weeks untill my first appt which was the group session on the 11th June! then it was to be 8 weeks untill the appt with the consultant this has changed unfortunatly due to Mr Sufi is away at the time of my origanal appointment, so it looks like its going to be 12 weeks now, I don't mind this now, this is because at first they changed it for much later than the one I have now.
We were told all depending on what test you may have to have, if no test it will take around 10 weeks untill surgery from consultation.
Hugs xxx

Omg thats so quick i know i dont have to see the endo and my pct insisted i saw the endo but the endo and Mr Sufi both decided that surgery was the way forward for me and that i did not need to see an endo.
Did u wait till u got an app for the consultant or did u call up soon after ur info meeting to see if u could get a consultation.
Thanks hun take care and have a good weekend xx

Hi again flower,
After the group session you automatically all go forward to the next step which is to recieve a letter from which ever consultant you are under.
I got my letter about 2 weeks after the session, it was a lovely feeling knowing your actually going further, I put all my letters from the whittington into the folder that you recieve when you go to the group session :D great is'nt it.
My endio also said that surgery would be the only way I would now lose weight, I see my endio once sometimes twice a yr due to health problems I have, I told him that the gp had refered me, then asked him if need be would he support me in getting the surgery, he said he would be happy too :) wow I f:)elt very happy knowing I have his support, Mr Sufi said I hav:)e a good chance of funding due to my disabilitys, so fingers and toes crossed.
By the way my BMI is wrong in my profile, it is 41.7 maybe a little higher.
Take care, chat soon.
xx

Hi again flower,
After the group session you automatically all go forward to the next step which is to recieve a letter from which ever consultant you are under.
I got my letter about 2 weeks after the session, it was a lovely feeling knowing your actually going further, I put all my letters from the whittington into the folder that you recieve when you go to the group session :D great is'nt it.
My endio also said that surgery would be the only way I would now lose weight, I see my endio once sometimes twice a yr due to health problems I have, I told him that the gp had refered me, then asked him if need be would he support me in getting the surgery, he said he would be happy too :) wow I f:)elt very happy knowing I have his support, Mr Sufi said I hav:)e a good chance of funding due to my disabilitys, so fingers and toes crossed.
By the way my BMI is wrong in my profile, it is 41.7 maybe a little higher.
Take care, chat soon.
xx

Hi hun have u seen Mr sufi already soz am getting confused here lol must be my old age :)
Will keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya 2 hun :D:D:D
I spoke to the commissioning dept of my pct who deal with the funding and i was told that once funding has been applied for then i would get the decision within 2 weeks.
My Bmi is bout 60 at the mo so the pct said that the dont think i will have a prob getting funding i 2 am keeping it all crossed as well lol.
Take care hun and have a good weekend and ty x

Hello ladies,
i was referred last september, had education session november, then first consultion in february. Had to wait longer than people usually do because of christmas holidays. Next appt was in may. By this time had sleep studies, cpex test and blood tests. These were arranged after first appt in february. After may appt my funding application was faxed off. Got funding agreed within a week after lorna the secretary requested my funding quickly as i had a lot of administrative foul ups. Roughly a month later got first date of november. Week later that became october or possibly september. A few days after that i was offered 21st of august!!! That was about 3 weeks ago now. I had pre op assessment on 21st of july. Out of the blue on monday morning just gone i got a call about a cancellation for friday the 31st!!! I had to turn it down as it was too short notice as i have quite a bit to do in the next three weeks. Including painting my flat, putting new flooring down and selling a puppy!!! So 21st of august it shall be! A little bit of advice. Keep calling the secretary and driving her mad for things to get moving. Also take things you are told with a large pinch of salt. This is because i was told at first appt back in feb that i should have my surgery by april!!! Four months added on to that to get to august date!!! During mayand june i was extremely depressed because i was no where and i felt like it was never going to happen. This after being told april and the days and weeks passing after april with no clue how much longer it would be. So as i said before. Don't get depressed about it, keep on at lorna the sec and don't believe everything they tell as you will be setting yourself up for a let down.

fantastic advice and great question!
my bmi is 63 and have also been told getting funding wouldnt be a problem with it being so high.
i went to my gp who refered me on 22nd june and have my educational session on 6th aug! now i thought that was bloody fast! but i dont mind i just cant wait, i feel like im just stood waiting and waiting and waiting pmsl.

WOW cancellation for 31st july!!! amy thats fantastic but totally understand why u didnt take it but think i would of myself i just cant wait! lol they should of phone me and i would of gone in pmsl.

Hello ladies,
i was referred last september, had education session november, then first consultion in february. Had to wait longer than people usually do because of christmas holidays. Next appt was in may. By this time had sleep studies, cpex test and blood tests. These were arranged after first appt in february. After may appt my funding application was faxed off. Got funding agreed within a week after lorna the secretary requested my funding quickly as i had a lot of administrative foul ups. Roughly a month later got first date of november. Week later that became october or possibly september. A few days after that i was offered 21st of august!!! That was about 3 weeks ago now. I had pre op assessment on 21st of july. Out of the blue on monday morning just gone i got a call about a cancellation for friday the 31st!!! I had to turn it down as it was too short notice as i have quite a bit to do in the next three weeks. Including painting my flat, putting new flooring down and selling a puppy!!! So 21st of august it shall be! A little bit of advice. Keep calling the secretary and driving her mad for things to get moving. Also take things you are told with a large pinch of salt. This is because i was told at first appt back in feb that i should have my surgery by april!!! Four months added on to that to get to august date!!! During mayand june i was extremely depressed because i was no where and i felt like it was never going to happen. This after being told april and the days and weeks passing after april with no clue how much longer it would be. So as i said before. Don't get depressed about it, keep on at lorna the sec and don't believe everything they tell as you will be setting yourself up for a let down.

Thank you Amy for that info it has helped me get my head round things.Lorna has been very good with me did she mind u pestering her or is she used to it.
How are u feeling now have u got everything done lol.
Take care and hope u have a good weekend xxx

fantastic advice and great question!
my bmi is 63 and have also been told getting funding wouldnt be a problem with it being so high.
i went to my gp who refered me on 22nd june and have my educational session on 6th aug! now i thought that was bloody fast! but i dont mind i just cant wait, i feel like im just stood waiting and waiting and waiting pmsl.

WOW cancellation for 31st july!!! amy thats fantastic but totally understand why u didnt take it but think i would of myself i just cant wait! lol they should of phone me and i would of gone in pmsl.

Hi Pinklady yes my bmi is bout 60 and although i have other health probs i dont think they are counted a co morbidities.
I feel like the same i just want to get my consultant meeting over and then hopefully get the funding arranged so then i know its def going ahead.
Looking forward to seeing u on Thursday we can pm each other and Ellen to arrange where to meet lol.
Take care and have a good weekend xxx

Amy all the info you have given us has been great, hope you don't mind us asking more. xx

Since my education meeting my appointment has been changed 3 times; the appointment Im talking about is the one you have after the education session, I got it moved much closer after I called Kirsten, she was so good about me calling her, I feel happy with the date I have now, for me August is busy plus my husband is busy at work (I need him with me not just for support, he wants to be there) Also the week before my appt Im away for the week so I think August which has already started will be gone in a flash I feel like its coming really quickly, I think because I have to go to my own hospital every 3 weeks my appointments seem to aways be here before I know it!
How does the consultant decide what test you need if any?
I am already under a Endiocrenologist, so my papers can easily be sent via my endio consultant to Mr Sufi, how does he decide on all the other test on whether you need them or not..
Cheers again.
Take care xx

I think the tests depend on numerous factors. Weather or not you have co morbidities and what they are. Also depends on your overall health and your start weight. Was told by dr heath that almost all do the cpex though.
Hope that helps???
also yes, i think lorna is used to it by now! I hope!!!

Hi girls

The mechanics of the Whittington have changed so fast - if its any help, I had my first appt with a consultant in April 08 and my op in April 09. Lorna was a total nightmare from start to finish and I ended up complaining about her - glad she has bucked her ideas up - she had to. Just a word of warning, the admin wheels at the Whittington generally need oiling and you have to chase everything - the admin is rubbish - they mislaid half the clinic's files yesterday when I was waiting for my appt!

Hi girls

The mechanics of the Whittington have changed so fast - if its any help, I had my first appt with a consultant in April 08 and my op in April 09. Lorna was a total nightmare from start to finish and I ended up complaining about her - glad she has bucked her ideas up - she had to. Just a word of warning, the admin wheels at the Whittington generally need oiling and you have to chase everything - the admin is rubbish - they mislaid half the clinic's files yesterday when I was waiting for my appt!

i understand wot u mean about admin i have my edcucation meeting on 6th aug but DIDNT get a letter telling that , my gp refered me on 22nd june he told me to wait 3 weeks and if i hadnt heard to contact him, so 3 weeks went and no letter or email or phone call, so i rang my gp who told me to ring dr sufi's sec to find out why i hadnt heard anything, and i got lorna and she said they receieved the refferal on 28th june and had sent letter to me on 2nd july! which i hadnt receive so she told me the date and time and sent another letter to me which i got 3 weeks later!! so im gonna end up being best friends with her by the time ive finished phoning her!!!
ive learnt early to chase chase chase ti till i get an answer!!
and trust me i will be!!

lol

I saw from one of the posts that it may take just ten weeks from this appointment. Is that true or the exception rather than the rule? I have my next appointment in three and a half weeks and am seriously starting to wonder when i will have my op. I'm not thinking about the possibilities they won't fund it, or that Dr Sufi/Heath will turn me down. I can't get into that frame of mind otherwise I won't get out of it again!!!! :)

Lots of people have mentioned phoning up for cancellations to get an earlier appt with consultant/surgeon. Is it worth trying to do this for the 3hr group meeting too or does it only work once you're 'in the system' so to speak?

Lots of people have mentioned phoning up for cancellations to get an earlier appt with consultant/surgeon. Is it worth trying to do this for the 3hr group meeting too or does it only work once you're 'in the system' so to speak?

Soz am really not 2 sure but is def worth a try, have u got ur app through if so def ring up as lots of peeps did not even turn up and a few cancelled, there was 6 of us but meant to be 13.
Good luck with the cancellations xxx

Depends if your appointment was made online or by fax. Do you have a Choose and Book reference?? If yes, they won't change your appointment on the phone. Not sure why. If you had your appointment booked by fax/paper then by all means call up for a cancellation. I managed to knock nearly a month off my group appointment wait by doing this!!!

Good luck!!!

Back