• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whittington hospital weight management clinic

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi my doc has referred me to the whittington hopsital weight management clinic so i am waiting to hear from them, first my pct (enfield) asked for some blood test for Pcos which was done and now am waiting to hear from the clinic.
Can someone tell me what the next step will be and how long was the whole process from referral to op date.
I did speak briefly to my PCT and was told they just follow the NICE guidelines so they cant see why it should be a prob for me to get funding but i have been told in the past that Enfield PCT dont like shelling out for Wls.
Any info would be really appreciated, thanks and take care luv Roch ccc

Last edited:
Sorry can't answer your question, but there are a number of wittington WLS Surgery peeps on ehre who will be along shortly. Just wanted to say welcome to mini's and good luck with your journey for WLS

I will be a Whittington patient, but sadly I know little about the process (I am trying to find out!!!). I have my first appointment soon!

Good luck!!!

Sorry can't answer your question, but there are a number of wittington WLS Surgery peeps on ehre who will be along shortly. Just wanted to say welcome to mini's and good luck with your journey for WLS

Hi and thanks for responding i am not new to MM i joined Mm right from the beginning on 06 lol.
Take care luv Roch xx

I will be a Whittington patient, but sadly I know little about the process (I am trying to find out!!!). I have my first appointment soon!

Good luck!!!
Hi Meggiemoo its nice to chat to someone who is starting the same process as me in the same hospital lol, what pct are you and how long did it take once ur doc referred you till u got your app.
Soz for all the questions thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Hi,
I am a whittington patient, I have not heard about the weight management clinic, Im sorry I can't be more help. Maybe you have been refered here to see if you can lose weight without surgery first? just a thought.
Keep us posted.
Hugs xx

Hi Purplefluffything thanks for replying are you going the nhs route as my doc says that we have to go to the weight management clinic first then they decided the next steps.
It could be that they want to see if i can lose weight without surgery but as my bmi is 61:eek: and i have been very overweight all my life i have been told that it wont be a prob that i will get funding, fingers crossex lol.
Good luck with your journey and thanks xxx

Hello there im a Whittington Weight loss patient ..

i have had my surgery ( gastric bypass)

took 3 weeks for my funding and 5 months in total for my op.

they have 2 surgeons Dr Sufi . Mr Heath ... i was under Mr heath.

there head nurse in charge of bariatric department and meetings is Kirsten ( she is fantastic)

right the process ..

1) you will get ref to them by your GP

2) you will receive a letter to ask you to attend a group session meeting along with other people going through same as you.

this is a 3 hr meeting with Kirsten and dietitian.
its to take you through the whole process of what they offer and different kind of surgery's they offer. they ask you to fill a form at the start of what you want and then at the end to fill out again to see if anything has changed.

they explain what all the surgery's do for you. what kinda eater are you etc..

they do it this way cause its better than 1 on 1 and cuts down waiting time for everyone .. and its fun ..

3) you will receive a letter asking you to attend an appointment with Mr heath/Sufi. they will asses you talk with you about your needs and then request you to have tests.

these include sleep apnioa test, ECG, cpex ( on a bike riding with air flow mask and heart monitors ) its to check your health and how you will recover from surgery.. and mental health department.

now not everyone will do all of this it depends on the person and what the surgeon thinks you need.

i had cpex.. sleep test... and that was it.

you will get these appointments in the post but if i was you don't wait after you have been told what tests you need get on the phone and call the departments and tell them you will take short notice.. just to get u in quicker.

once you have had these tests the surgeon will request to see you again to talk them over he will check if you funding has come through yet and if Ur funding is in place you will be put on the waiting list and its normally 8 weeks and your op is there ..

i found the whittington fantastic service and helpful.

they have huge group support meetings every month on the 3rd Thursday of the month .. this months is tonight..

they offer loads of support.. the staff are fantastic and on the ball..

i have friends who have used different hospitals that have been crap..

anything else you want to know just ask x

You are going to the right place - the service they offer is fantastic and getting better all the time - see you at the next support group!

there head nurse in charge of bariatric department and meetings is Kirsten ( she is fantastic)

right the process ..

2) you will receive a letter to ask you to attend a group session meeting along with other people going through same as you.

its to take you through the whole process of what they offer and different kind of surgery's they offer. they ask you to fill a form at the start of what you want and then at the end to fill out again to see if anything has changed.

they do it this way cause its better than 1 on 1 and cuts down waiting time for everyone .. and its fun ..

3) you will receive a letter asking you to attend an appointment with Mr heath/Sufi. they will asses you talk with you about your needs and then request you to have tests.

these include sleep apnioa test, ECG, cpex ( on a bike riding with air flow mask and heart monitors ) its to check your health and how you will recover from surgery.. and mental health department.

now not everyone will do all of this it depends on the person and what the surgeon thinks you need.

you will get these appointments in the post but if i was you don't wait after you have been told what tests you need get on the phone and call the departments and tell them you will take short notice.. just to get u in quicker.

once you have had these tests the surgeon will request to see you again to talk them over he will check if you funding has come through yet and if Ur funding is in place you will be put on the waiting list and its normally 8 weeks and your op is there ..

they have huge group support meetings every month on the 3rd Thursday of the month .. this months is tonight..

Hi Brett and ty so much for all ur helpful info, can i just ask when ur doc referred you was it to the weight management clinic or a diff part in the hospital
Thanks and take care luv Roch xx

Hi Brett, Good to see you here again and a big hug for getting through surgery.

Brett the way you have described it is how it is happening to me so far, I have now already had the education meeting and met Kirsten and her collegue (I can't remember her name) they were both really helpful and told us loads, my husband came with me and actually made Kirsten laugh well the whole group laugh with a joke he came out with :D.

I now have my letter to see Mr Sufi who said due to my dissability and Intrathecal therapy I may fulfil the NICE Criterea (fingers crossed) the letter is for August 17th so not a life time away!

Chat soon.
x

Going to the information session at the Whittington on the 30th July

Hi all have just heard back from the whittington and i am going to the information session on the 30th july and waiting to hear about my app with my Sufi.
Gosh i feel really excited and i spoke back to my pct to the actual woman who processes the funding and she said to me there i will have no prob getting funding as my bmi is 61.
Its all going ahead now and this time i wont back out as i wont feel guilty as its not my family having to pay for the surgery and will be alot lighter to minimise complications so i feel chuffed !!

Last edited:
Wow Roch,it is all happening. I am so pleased you are going through with this because the weight, if you lose by diet alone, is not something you will want to regain, and a bypass will keep it off. And the Whittington is good for you because at least you will be able to drive and park there. I don't often visit these boards, so I am pleased to see you being so upbeat and doing so well with the diet. Catch you soon, take care.

Wow Roch,it is all happening. I am so pleased you are going through with this because the weight, if you lose by diet alone, is not something you will want to regain, and a bypass will keep it off. And the Whittington is good for you because at least you will be able to drive and park there. I don't often visit these boards, so I am pleased to see you being so upbeat and doing so well with the diet. Catch you soon, take care.

Hi pam thanks hun yes its all go now fingers crossed the journey is smooth lol.
How are you doing hun hope youre good and will buzz ya in the next few days for a chat most prob over the weekend.
Take care hun and chat soon and ty xxx

I just read your post on your other thread. About you walking down the stairs easier. I remember when I was 19 stone I was almost able to skip down the stairs, but I am doing them one at a time now, same with going up them! I tried to send you a private message, but not sure how to do it as when I did I was able to see all the private messages others had sent to you, so will discuss things on the phone. Perhaps you can ring me Sunday? Not ealier than 10am - I appreciate my days off as I get up at 5am normally. I am so pleased you are doing well with the diet Roch, and you will find the more successful you are, the easier it will be. Oh and make sure you start wearing the next size down in nickers - you don't want them falling to your ankles while you are in Tesco! Catch you Sunday hopefully.

I just read your post on your other thread. About you walking down the stairs easier. I remember when I was 19 stone I was almost able to skip down the stairs, but I am doing them one at a time now, same with going up them! I tried to send you a private message, but not sure how to do it as when I did I was able to see all the private messages others had sent to you, so will discuss things on the phone. Perhaps you can ring me Sunday? Not ealier than 10am - I appreciate my days off as I get up at 5am normally. I am so pleased you are doing well with the diet Roch, and you will find the more successful you are, the easier it will be. Oh and make sure you start wearing the next size down in nickers - you don't want them falling to your ankles while you are in Tesco! Catch you Sunday hopefully.

OMG COULD U JUST IMAGINE IS A 25 STONE 41 YR OLD WOMAN WITH HER KNICKERS FALLING DOWN WHILST SHOPPING IN TESCO`S :D:D:D:D:D
That`s weird you were able to see my private messages lol.
Well i am def not skipping down the stairs but def walking down faster and normally now lol.
Will buzz ya around 12 on Sunday hun. Hope all is good with you and have a good weekend and pls say hello to the girls from me.
Take care luv Roch xxx
By the way have u started a new diary xx

Hi Meggiemoo its nice to chat to someone who is starting the same process as me in the same hospital lol, what pct are you and how long did it take once ur doc referred you till u got your app.
Soz for all the questions thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Hi,
I asked the Doc for a referral on the 11th of June and got a letter the other day asking me to book my appointment. I have my first appointment on the 27th of August (but am hoping that they will have a cancellation for an earlier appointment........fingers crossed!!!!).

Hopefully after that appointment things will move smoothly.

Good luck with everything!!! Keep us in the loop with how it goes!!!

right the process ..

Hi Brett,
I have read a few of your posts about your op. Glad everything went so well!!!

How long did it take from initial enquiry with the Doc to surgery? And do you recommend it?

Hi Girls,
Brett said he got his funding and surgery pretty quick, he thinks it is slowing down a bit now due to the high demands for wls.
Hopfuly once you have your education session the next bits will soon move, Im hoping this happens for me too,
Roch, sorry I can't make 30th July for walk in meeting, hubbie is working so will have to look at another date to go to walk in meeting, maybe the one in August .
Maybe will can all meet at one of the meetings that would be great :D.
Hugs x

Back