• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calorie intake?

TessG

Hi. I'm nearly five weeks post op after a sleeve and about to go onto the stage where I can have some solid food. My weight loss has been painfully slow. After 11 pounds in the first week which I was delighted with, I lost nothing for a week and then one pound a week after that.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how many calories we are supposed to consume on the different stages? It has probably been covered elswhere but I just can't find it. I was just wondering if i'm eating too many or too few calories.

Hi. I'm nearly five weeks post op after a sleeve and about to go onto the stage where I can have some solid food. My weight loss has been painfully slow. After 11 pounds in the first week which I was delighted with, I lost nothing for a week and then one pound a week after that.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how many calories we are supposed to consume on the different stages? It has probably been covered elswhere but I just can't find it. I was just wondering if i'm eating too many or too few calories.

I dont know exactly hun but your body will be in shock, trying to hold on to everything but i would imagine between 5 and 700 cals is about right.

Much depends on what your provider recommends, but as it seems many of us don't get a specific guideline to calorific intake, I did a bit of research myself. Between 4 - 8 wks, it's recommended to take in around 500 - 600 kcals over the day, through 5 - 6 small meals, obviously making sure you are getting the calories from good food sources (mainly protein first, then veg, then low-GI carbs if you still have room). From around 8 weeks onwards, it's recommended you take in around 1000 - 1200 calories per day, again from good food sources. Please remember though, this is just a guideline. Some days you may not be able to manage anywhere near that amount, other days you may go over. Importantly though, is when you get to about 8 wks onwards, try not to 'graze'. You should be on 3 meals a day by then, try not to eat inbetween too much. HTH xxx

Thanks for the help. At the moment i'm on around 400 spread between 4 meals. Maybe I will try upping the calories by adding some light cheese for extra protein without adding too much bulk.

It would be nice if the hospitals would give us some guidelines wouldn't it. It feels a bit like your left fumbling around for information!

Thank goodness for this website and all you lovely people. Don't know what i would have done without everyone on here.

I'm now nearly 6 weeks post op sleeve. My weight loss is a little slow. My dietician has advised that when you can eat 1/2 tea plate for a meal you should cut out any snacks and have 3 meals per day.

You should chew each mouth full 20 times, this slows down your eating and you should be able to feel the full signal before you've eaten too much.

So from today each mouth full with cutlery put down in between will be chewed 20 times minimum and no snacks for me.

Also, please remember you've just scared the bejeezus out of your metabolism by having this surgery and cutting off your food supply.... Try and eat well getting your protein in and remember to keep your fluids up too....

The lb's will start dropping again soon xxx

Back