• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How many calories should i be having, need some advice pls

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well i am 4 weeks on Tuesday and will be introducing solids into my diet, cant wait as hated the sloppy stage and thank god never had to do the puree stage :D:D:D:D
I had one day bout 10 days ago where i was hungry but now know that was down to not drinking enough and now i have no hunger at all and tbh dont want to eat and dont fancy anything at all, so eating has now become something i have to do but dont want to which is so weird.

I know there are split opinions on this but was wondering how many calories a day should i be having when i am 4 weeks post op and on solids.
I know some people say dont count the calories and some say stick to this or that amount.
I do go by what my pouch tells me and dont usually eat to restriction as dont enjoy any foods any more.
I have been lucky and seem to tolerate most foods and chew things at least 20 times so have had no probs except once when i forgot i had a bypass and pinched a potato from the pot and oh did i suffer :cry::cry:

I have stalled for 3 weeks now since day 6 biut have dropped over 2 sizes since the op although the pounds have not dropped and am worried to weigh myself and maybe will wait another week.

1. Should i just be having 3 small meals
2. Should i have any snacks
3. How do i know i am not eating 2 many calories
4. How many calories should i aim for on solids
5. I last weighed 22.11 does that make a diff to the amount of calories i should be having.
6. How long can my stall last for and can i do anything to get myself out of it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for taking the time to read this and sorry for all the questions, thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Hi roch, i stalled at your stage for 3 weeks and was very disheartend, i did have to do the puree stage and it wasn't until i got onto the solid stage did my weightloss start to move again then it just got better and better, i think my body had gone into starvation mode. My best month for weightloss was august(had my op in may) where i lost 1stone 7lb, but so far im just over 10 months down the line and have lost 9stone 4lb. I never calculated calories and still dont even at this stage, i eat to full restriction, dont really excercise(too honest) and do try to stick to 3 meals a day but i do struggle with brekkie so normally have a milky coffee. I do try not to have snacks during the day and have in the past 10 months got out of that habit but if i do struggle i have an ice lolly! It is good to get other peoples advice but try not to worry too much as your pouch will help guide you in the right direction. You've done great so far and the photos are proof of that! xxx

Hi Roch
As you know i aim to eat every two hours roughly supplementing my three main meals with yogharts, cereal bars, fruit or snack a jacks. I am one of these people who have never counted the calories from day one which as you know too so far so good on that one! As Lisa says it gets easier when you move to solid stage as your body needs food and your stall will break, the first 6 weeks are usually ,for most of us the hardest. Hang in there keep trying to eat little and often and i'll be at the end of the phone when you need me xx

Hiya Roch, I read elswhere that you are back losing, GOOD FOR YOU! Here are my answers for your questions:

1. Should i just be having 3 small meals
I have 3 small meals plus 1-2 snacks per day at 17 months out and I have been stable for the last to months (never more than plus or minus 2lbs)
2. Should i have any snacks
I seem to snack more some days and not really want them other days, I keep yogurt, protein supps, and fruit in the house so I can have 1 or 2 a day if I fancy it.
3. How do i know i am not eating 2 many calories
The truth is early days you really can't get too many calories as long as you are using the no more than 5g per 100g rule fat & sugar. Calories are not all that important to a bypasser as long as you are eating a balanced diet of protein, fruit/veg and good carbs. At your stage you will probably be able to manage 400-700 calories per day which will gradually increase as you heal more.
4. How many calories should i aim for on solids
Over the next few months you will eventually be able to manage more food, with a greater variety and you will perhaps reach 800-1000 calories per day. By the time you reach a year post-op you should be able to manage 1000-1200 cals per day or perhaps a bit more. But again as long as you are moderating your fat & sugar intake and eating fresh healthy food, calories are not important.
5. I last weighed 22.11 does that make a diff to the amount of calories i should be having.
Not at your stage, the only time it becomes important is if you are unable to manage enough food to stay out of starvation mode, this problem is very, very rare and you would already know about it if you had a problem. Additionally should you be one of the people who reaches goal but continues to drop weight, a bit of calorie counting and adding more high calorie food can help you maintain at your chosen weight instead of losing more.
6. How long can my stall last for and can i do anything to get myself out of it.
To be honest, when people stall in the first few weeks it is not an actual stall, your body is conserving energy because it has suffered a trauma. It is also highly possible that you weren't eating enough, 6-8 small meals during puree/sloppy phase is essential due to the low volume most people manage. Once you go on solids you may find that your losses increase and you feel generally better in yourself because of the higher level of nutrition you can get it.

My best wishes to you hun for continued success!

Nic:p

Sorry Roch, I can't answer your questions, I've not really thought about calories, just sticking to the hospital eating plan, very interesting thread.

Thanks
Bunny x

As a pre opper, i thank you Roche for this very informative post xx

I had similar queries at the same stage and spoke to a dietician who advised to try and limit calories to around 800 a day. I don't count them obsessively, but i am mindful to try and stay below that.
My diet sheet from the hospital advised three meals a day with the option of two snacks between them. I don't usually bother with the snacks most days as my appetite is low, but on those days when i'm feeling a bit picky i just snack when i want to, kind of listening to my body.
I've found it useful to use a small bowl for my food (its a little rice bowl that holds 20g of cornflakes) as this helps with my portion control (i don't know if its just me but i don't seem to feel the restriction till its too late and then i feel uncomfortable) I initially weighed foods such as meat and fish to ascertain how much protein and calories there were in the portions and after a while i got used to guessing just by looking, so i rely less on the scales now.
I'm trying to be as relaxed about things as possible as i don't want the op or food to rule my life. Some days (like yesterday !) my food intake is not ideal, i had nas chocolate and pizza, which probably took me over 800 cals but there are far more days when i eat sensible foods like salad, veg, meat and fish and days when i struggle to eat more than 400-500 calories (on these days i try and drink extra milk)
As you mentioned, things seem to vary from person to person and it's a very individual thing. You will probably find that you will settle into your own routine quite quickly. I think that most of us get a bit nervous during the transition to a solid diet, but it doesn't take long to adjust.

I've found it useful to use a small bowl for my food (its a little rice bowl that holds 20g of cornflakes) as this helps with my portion control (i don't know if its just me but i don't seem to feel the restriction till its too late and then i feel uncomfortable)

This is one of my biggest problems and it's usually caused by eating too fast! ;)

My eyes are bigger than my belly, as my old mum would say, and I pile far too much food onto plates, but then I also have a problem throwing anything away so then feel obliged to eat it all. I tend to eat quite quickly so by the time I've finished what's on my plate I'm stuffed to bursting, and as you say it feels uncomfortable.

Since I've been allowing my son to dish up the dinner, which means smaller portions, I've also been getting into practice of chewing food properly ready for post-op days and find I actually feel full on about a third to half of the amount I'd previously been eating :eek:

Are/were you also a fast eater?

As has already been said. Stick to a tea plate sized amount three times a day with a couple of snacks during the day. As long as the meals are of good quality foods low in sugar and fat you will do fine. Snacks can be a tiny fromage frais or a cheese triangle. You are doing well, just stick with it and the weight will come off.
x

Back