• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein and calories

vicky jenkins

Hi.
Can anyone tell me roughly how many calories and how much protein I should aim to have in a day please. Post op Bypass 10 months out.
My Dietician is not answering my emails x

vicky jenkins

Well, my Dietician did get back to me on the 3rd day of my holiday. .... 23 days holiday.
She has said a minimum of 60g protein and 1200 calories.
I have done this for about 10 days logging my food in an app, and I so feel like I've put weight on but won't know for another week when I get home. I am seeing Dietician towards the end of June.
I have been following others in here, and I've decided to up my protein to 80 and reduce my calories to 1000.
Its all been a bit hit and miss while I've been away as its all written in Spanish which I don't understand and despite a few bad choices along the way, generally I've been fairly good.
I'm looking forward to getting home and doing this properly though.
I am 11 months out and feeling a bit of a failure to be ho est. I'm not depressed and don't for a minute regret having it done but I wish I'd been stricter with myself post op.

slimkim

@vicky jenkins You are a success! You have lost 8st. How freaking amazing is that?!?! You must be doing something right to have lost that amount.

I love Lanzarote. We go every November for a week to escape the winter for a bit. I think you can definitely get in 80g of protein out there and still eat well.

Is your dietician advice based on you being at maintenance weight? Maybe she thinks you are happy with the weight you are at right now or maybe she is going by some chart that shows that you "should" be at the weight you are at. I feel like you should definitely listen to the medical professionals but at the end of the day you know what weight you want to get at to feel comfortable. As long as you are not causing yourself any harm then adjust accordingly.

vicky jenkins

@vicky jenkins You are a success! You have lost 8st. How freaking amazing is that?!?! You must be doing something right to have lost that amount.

I love Lanzarote. We go every November for a week to escape the winter for a bit. I think you can definitely get in 80g of protein out there and still eat well.

Is your dietician advice based on you being at maintenance weight? Maybe she thinks you are happy with the weight you are at right now or maybe she is going by some chart that shows that you "should" be at the weight you are at. I feel like you should definitely listen to the medical professionals but at the end of the day you know what weight you want to get at to feel comfortable. As long as you are not causing yourself any harm then adjust accordingly.
I saw my Dietician at 6 weeks post op and not since as they didn't send me an appointment! I haven't seen anyone since 6 weeks post op.....
I have only lost about 6 stone since op. The other 2 was before surgery.
We are half board. Tonight I had steak...... OK for protein but way up on calories.
Some of yogurts etc are not recognised by app so it's a bit of a guessing game.
I e been eating more salads, but also more bread than usual. I haven't dumped at all which is good.

Bling Babe

Well, my Dietician did get back to me on the 3rd day of my holiday. .... 23 days holiday.
She has said a minimum of 60g protein and 1200 calories.
I have done this for about 10 days logging my food in an app, and I so feel like I've put weight on but won't know for another week when I get home. I am seeing Dietician towards the end of June.
I have been following others in here, and I've decided to up my protein to 80 and reduce my calories to 1000.
Its all been a bit hit and miss while I've been away as its all written in Spanish which I don't understand and despite a few bad choices along the way, generally I've been fairly good.
I'm looking forward to getting home and doing this properly though.
I am 11 months out and feeling a bit of a failure to be ho est. I'm not depressed and don't for a minute regret having it done but I wish I'd been stricter with myself post op.
Vicky please please please don’t ever think your a failure, look at your stats.....you’ve done amazingly well, absolutely amazingly, the thing with protein and calories is that each hospital and probably each dietician at the same hospital will give you different advice, your also doing well to continue logging whilst your on holiday, I was wondering if your home yet but you’ve answered that question, enjoy your last week and hold your head up high, you are most definitely a success :hugs: xxxx

Bling Babe

Also Vicky remember we are all different and we will all lose at different rates xxxx

Bling Babe

I have 90g + protein and around 1200 kcal a day. Its a lottttt of food though. Im 2 years out.
Aw good to hear from you Starry, do you know if the actual amount you can eat with a sleeve is any different to a bypass, my pouch is 30cc. I hope like fe is treating you very well, you deserve to be very happy and are still one of my inspirations, thanks for your input xxx

starryeyed

Aw good to hear from you Starry, do you know if the actual amount you can eat with a sleeve is any different to a bypass, my pouch is 30cc. I hope like fe is treating you very well, you deserve to be very happy and are still one of my inspirations, thanks for your input xxx
Im not sure i will weigh my food as I still get restricted. You're able to eat a small meal whether sleeve or bypass it's just being mindful really :) how are you doing xx

Bling Babe

Im not sure i will weigh my food as I still get restricted. You're able to eat a small meal whether sleeve or bypass it's just being mindful really :) how are you doing xx
Surgically I’m doing really well, I’m still on soft and mashed food at the moment but seem to be managing ok, struggle to get 1.5 litres water a day always mange 1 litre though and I find it difficult to get 90 grams protein a day but usually manage about 6p grams. I’m still very washed out and lethargic but I’ll get there. Thank you xxx

starryeyed

Surgically I’m doing really well, I’m still on soft and mashed food at the moment but seem to be managing ok, struggle to get 1.5 litres water a day always mange 1 litre though and I find it difficult to get 90 grams protein a day but usually manage about 6p grams. I’m still very washed out and lethargic but I’ll get there. Thank you xxx
Oh no i didn't manage 90g until nearly a year post op. 60g is perfect! I found setting a schedule helps with the water, plenty of NAS squash. Take care xx

vicky jenkins

I'm looking forward to seeing the team on 21st of June for my 1 year follow up. I'm sure they will be a little disappointed with my weight loss since surgery but I'm OK with it now, but I'm looking forward to the input re dietary requirements, I'm needing help from them re protein and carbs fats etc, so a sit down with Dietician will I'm sure be helpful. I'm very reluctant to start eating meat again but if they think it's best then I'll reintroduce it gradually. I'll wait and see what they say.

Maria61

I'm looking forward to seeing the team on 21st of June for my 1 year follow up. I'm sure they will be a little disappointed with my weight loss since surgery but I'm OK with it now, but I'm looking forward to the input re dietary requirements, I'm needing help from them re protein and carbs fats etc, so a sit down with Dietician will I'm sure be helpful. I'm very reluctant to start eating meat again but if they think it's best then I'll reintroduce it gradually. I'll wait and see what they say.
They should be delighted with your amazing weight loss xx

Bling Babe

Vicky if they are disappointed then I for one would question why, how can they be disappointed, you’ve lost 8 stone that’s just incredible!!! I hope they can offer you plenty of help and advice re macros. Xxx

Irene44

Vicky you have done brilliantly hun you should be proud not worried. They should be ecstatic with your loss xx

vicky jenkins

Vicky if they are disappointed then I for one would question why, how can they be disappointed, you’ve lost 8 stone that’s just incredible!!! I hope they can offer you plenty of help and advice re macros. Xxx
Only 6 stone since surgery though, and they told me they estimate a stone a month. I'm well under that. I'm not really that bothered but it puts the dampener on the thought of going to the appointment

Bling Babe

Only 6 stone since surgery though, and they told me they estimate a stone a month. I'm well under that. I'm not really that bothered but it puts the dampener on the thought of going to the appointment
Seriously Vicky, don’t even think about it, hold your head up high and be proud of you incredible achievement, we are not all the same and a stone a month for a year is a big ask and probably not healthy. :hugs: Xxx