• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories & protein

chris2710

Could someone please tell me how much protein and calories I should try for each day, as a 53 year old woman who leads a mainly sedentary life-scale, walking 30 minutes each day, about three weeks out of surgery

Try not to think about it this early is what I got told , I've been having about 500 and my dietician said try for 900 that's all but I'm struggling to get any where near that x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

The aim once you are eating normally for is post surgery is about 1000 calories a day & between 60-100grammes of protein a day.
Fats should be preferably no more than 3G /100g and sugars no more than 5g /100g although this isn't an absolute. It is the best practice aim the green zone on labels but some of us can cope with the higher amber level of 3.1-20g /100g fat & 5.1-15g/100g of sugar but preferably the lower level to avoid dumping & gain the most from our surgery. With 2l of fluid as a good guide to ensure adequate hydration & to avoid to much constipation.
But your main aim initially is to learn to live with your surgery getting enough fluids in & a good level of protein rich foods each day. Your team will give you the best guide of how much by when according to their post-op eating programme.

My dietitian advised by the time you are 12 weeks post op you should be getting between 800-1200 cals per day and at least 50g protein, but the more the better. Fluids minimum 1.5l per day.

My guidelines say similar to Maries but to have more than 60g of protein... i dont know what stage you are on... my i did liquids, pureed and soft foods... and was told not to worry about calories or protein until i got onto normal foods.
Always best to stick to the guidelines given to you by your hospital/provider though xx

Back