• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can I Ask For Tests?

Snowcrystal

Hi All

Can I ask for tests to be done?

I have wondered if I have diabetes and high blood pressure...Would it speed things up when I get my one-2-one with the surgeon if I had all the results with me?...

Seeing GP at 5pm today...as I have terrible back and leg pains for several days and had another of those chest pains that they think might be Barrat's Oesophagus.

I am falling apart...If I were a dog they'd put me down...lol.

~hugs~

Cant hurt Snow - some pharmacies like bigger branches of Boots test for Diabetes and blood pressure although you would be best off going to your GP - do you have any diabetes symptoms? You cant tell with the blood pressure (although some people get constant headaches and lightheadedness) - get them to do a cholesterol check too - its all grist for the mill!

Yes you can ask your GP just tell them your concerns in my practice you would have no problem getting them done especially if you can think up a symptom e.g. I have a raging thirst - one sign of possible diabetes

Hope that helps

M

Hi Snow,
When i normally do to see the GP they tests my Blood pressure all the time, I'm not sure how they guessed that i have high BP but for the diabetes i had to tell them that i feel very thirsty and go to the loo all the time, sometimes i get up 4/5 times at night. also feel very sleepy during day and can't keep myself awake. They did a normal urine test first and then next 3 times blood test for me. Take a urine sample with you when you go today and tell the GP to check, as they use the strips, they can check straight way and tell you the result.

Don't laugh but I get hungry all the time and I'm sure it's not hunger but is actually thirst instead.

But yes, I do get thirsty a lot and I get so tired all the time...and I get light headed a lot.

My blood pressure is a weird thing as they can't away's get it...they have to do it several times.

It can tend to be high and I have had to wear a 24 hour monitor which proved alright.

~hugs~

Hi Snow,
When i normally do to see the GP they tests my Blood pressure all the time, I'm not sure how they guessed that i have high BP but for the diabetes i had to tell them that i feel very thirsty and go to the loo all the time, sometimes i get up 4/5 times at night. also feel very sleepy during day and can't keep myself awake. They did a normal urine test first and then next 3 times blood test for me. Take a urine sample with you when you go today and tell the GP to check, as they use the strips, they can check straight way and tell you the result.

I thought that you have to do a 24 hour fast:eek:, or is that blood cholesterol levels?

~hugs~

yEAH GP SHOULD DO TEST ANYWAY
anime_princess.gif

iF YOUR BEING REFERRED FOR WLS BUT DONT THINK IT WILL SPEED UP REFERRAL THOUGH

Don't laugh but I get hungry all the time and I'm sure it's not hunger but is actually thirst instead.

But yes, I do get thirsty a lot and I get so tired all the time...and I get light headed a lot.

My blood pressure is a weird thing as they can't away's get it...they have to do it several times.

It can tend to be high and I have had to wear a 24 hour monitor which proved alright.

~hugs~

OMG !! Snow, Its the same with me. everytime they check my BP the machine doesn't work, so they keeps trying again and agian. sometimes they check it manually with the pump. I read somewhere that when the BP is too high the machine can't read it so it stops working.

Yes for the Blood test i had to fast from 10pm the day before but not 24 hrs :p i would have been dead by now. my last blood test was for haemoglobin (HbA1c) for which i didn't have to fast. it shows the highest sugar level in last 8-12 weeks.

Hi snow crystal...........sometimes hunger can be confused with thirst..........think i sed that rite............erm......in layman terms............ur not always needing food when u feel hunger.........it can be sometimes lack of fluid that makes the hunger pains..................hope this makes sense............

All the best - mejulie x x

I had to fast from 10pm till next morning for mine. Theres no harm in asking for the bloods to be tested and for your blood pressure checked. I did'nt find out I had diebetes untill my pre op assessment. This caused a delay in my op date as I had to go to my GP for the fasting blood test which gives an average reading of blood sugars over the last couple of months. I then had to be given metformin to get it under controll which all takes time. I should have had my op in february time but did'nt get it till may so if you can get a head start go for it. Good luck xxGaynorxx

I think it can only help.

I had referrals by my GP for some test the WLS consultant may have sent me for. Like Sleep Study and Gastroscope. The Consultant is aware and I think it 2 test hopefully nearer to Op.

I has no symptoms of diabetes. I use to have annual check for it. My grandparents and parents were all diabetic plus I am on steroids, which is know to bring it on. So there were testing me more regular.

I fasted for 12hrs before the blood test, then was given glucose to drink and had another blood test 2 hours later. Cholesterol is also checked at the same time. Fortunatly I have a Diabetic Clinic at my Gp practice.

Having your blood pressure checked is routine at my practice, but more so if your diabetic.

Back