• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can I have Grapefruit??

lyzzyanne

Happy shrinking bypasser!
Before my bypass I used to eat a lot of grapefruit, good for my bowels and I love the taste of it. I am now nearly 4 months post op and can eat most things, but somewhere in my brain I have something telling me not to have grapefruit, no idea why. Its not mentioned on my stuff from the hospital, but a lot of things aren't.

I really fancy a few segments :)

Go for it
My team said to anything and everything.
I eat an orange everyday sometimes 2, even at 3 months out.
Just take it one segment at a time, any problems stop and try again in a few days
HTH

It is an excellent source of vit c, which will help stave off any colds going around

The only thing I can think might prevent you eating grapefruit isn't surgery related at all. Grapefruit is contraindicated for some medication, eg. statins, though other citrus fruits are OK.

I think I will give it a go then !!! I am not on any medicines that interact with it so going to do it stand by !!!
Thanks

Hi

I cannot stand grapefruit but have no problems with oranges etc.

My only gripe is trying to find a decent orange in the shops, what ever happened to those thick skinned easy peel Jaffer oranges we used to get, everything now has think skins that are as hard as leather. Which is why I mainly go the satsuma route now days.

Paul

Paul-H I feel your pain!!! I had a peach yesterday, my hubby bought 4 super dooper peaches (which I wouldn't have paid as much for!!) first bite it was horrible a real disappointment. I've not had an orange for ages, glad its satsuma season again!!

grapefruit

There is a lot of acid in grapefruit and I was told not to eat any citrus for at least 6 months. especially the white stuff that is around the fruit. I love grapefruit too but I would be careful of acid in that delicate pouch. just sayin...

Back