• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can this be right??

Westy31

So apparently (I live in Sunderland), jumping through hoops are a thing of the past and you now simply get referred from your GP, you get an appt at the Hosp and they make a decision whether they'll consider you for surgery. If yes you get an endo date then after a couple of months it's surgery.....???! Really?!!!

So apparently (I live in Sunderland), jumping through hoops are a thing of the past and you now simply get referred from your GP, you get an appt at the Hosp and they make a decision whether they'll consider you for surgery. If yes you get an endo date then after a couple of months it's surgery.....???! Really?!!!

Hi
I am at Sunderland, was referred last August, Seminar October and I am having surgery next week. This is really quick.

Good luck
Jackie
x

Hi
I am at Sunderland, was referred last August, Seminar October and I am having surgery next week. This is really quick.

Good luck
Jackie
x
So 10 months then? I have a private band op booked for this July but wondering whether I should look into NHS as I think I'd benefit from a sleeve and would love to be in my local Hosp

So 10 months then? I have a private band op booked for this July but wondering whether I should look into NHS as I think I'd benefit from a sleeve and would love to be in my local Hosp

Yeah and I was delayed slightly due to results of endoscopy so I had a extra appointment. It will fly over! Good luck

I know it sounds daft but I don't know if I can wait 9 months!! :-/ I must be an idiot to spend £5k I don't have just so it can be quicker :((

I know it sounds daft but I don't know if I can wait 9 months!! :-/ I must be an idiot to spend £5k I don't have just so it can be quicker :((

I would just makes sure that you look into it all first whatever your choice. Is the band right for you? Have a look at all the diaries on here before you commit to anything. It is a huge decision! You need to consider, how much do you want to lose? what are your eating habits? how committed will you be? what about aftercare?

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

So 10 months then? I have a private band op booked for this July but wondering whether I should look into NHS as I think I'd benefit from a sleeve and would love to be in my local Hosp ?

Definitely got to be worth a try, even if you wait a bit longer you'll be local and it'll save you money - win win I'd say :)

Sunderland are fab too, I had my bypass there last November though I waited 15months from referral. It's definitely a lot quicker these days though.

Speak to your gp, the worst that can happen is they say no - what have you got to lose??

I had my first appointment at Sunderland last October and had my bypass 7 days ago it was very straight forward for me didn't need to see a Psychiatrist and i lost weight at every appointment so they put me on the list pretty quick, goodluck :)

I had my first appointment at Sunderland last October and had my bypass 7 days ago it was very straight forward for me didn't need to see a Psychiatrist and i lost weight at every appointment so they put me on the list pretty quick, goodluck :)
What was your BMI? :)

Do Sunderland still do the Tier 3 management thing Jackie? X

Hiya, no they don't.
After seminar you will get an appointment to see the dietician and the Nurse who will set you a weight loss target. They allow you 3 months to achieve this and then you will see the Nurse again. If you have met the target then next apt will be with the surgeon who will then recommend you be discussed at MDT. If approved then you will be given a date for endoscopy. Then a date for surgery if all ok.

I hope this makes sense.
Jackie

Hiya, no they don't. After seminar you will get an appointment to see the dietician and the Nurse who will set you a weight loss target. They allow you 3 months to achieve this and then you will see the Nurse again. If you have met the target then next apt will be with the surgeon who will then recommend you be discussed at MDT. If approved then you will be given a date for endoscopy. Then a date for surgery if all ok. I hope this makes sense. Jackie
Yes it does thanks!
I have a BMI of 48 and really really want this now! What scenarios would make you unsuccessful for funding when discussed at MDT?

Yes it does thanks!
I have a BMI of 48 and really really want this now! What scenarios would make you unsuccessful for funding when discussed at MDT?

As long as you meet the weight loss target I think you will be ok.

I had seminar at Sunderland beginning of May and they have had to introduce tier 3 apparently you must attend sessions but they are done in the three months after you have seen dietician and been set weight loss target so they expect the sessions to help rather than being left alone to lose weight Xx

I had seminar at Sunderland beginning of May and they have had to introduce tier 3 apparently you must attend sessions but they are done in the three months after you have seen dietician and been set weight loss target so they expect the sessions to help rather than being left alone to lose weight Xx
So it's still the same 3 month wait before the next step but there's extra sessions during that time to help you lose??
Now you've had your seminar, how long before you see the dietician?

Yeah three months to achieve weight loss goal set by dietician but the tier 3 sessions run during the same three months so should be a help rather than hindrance ((I asked at seminar and was told this was introduced in April 2015 but will not add any extra time into process)) they said approx 6 weeks from seminar to appointment with dietician, I went to seminar on May 6th still waiting for dietician appointment I've got fingers crossed that something will come in post this week Xx

Yeah three months to achieve weight loss goal set by dietician but the tier 3 sessions run during the same three months so should be a help rather than hindrance ((I asked at seminar and was told this was introduced in April 2015 but will not add any extra time into process)) they said approx 6 weeks from seminar to appointment with dietician, I went to seminar on May 6th still waiting for dietician appointment I've got fingers crossed that something will come in post this week Xx
Oh I hope you hear soon!! Fingers crossed!! How long after your GP referred you did you get a seminar date? I'm right at the beginning of the process!

Persuaded GP to refer me beginning of January after plucking up courage after getting to my heaviest over Christmas and went to seminar in May so not too long a wait it's just that I'm a bit impatient now that I've taken the plunge so to speak ? they said at seminar that you must have at least six months from seminar to surgery cannot be any earlier but they also said it's currently running at about 12 months so gotta appreciate that good things come to those that wait (gggrrrrrrrr) Xx

Back