• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

COLD DIET COKE mmmmmmmmm

Kevin1708

Century Club
Well I opened the fridge and there is was . . . an ICE COLD DIET COKE mmmmmmmmm It spoke to me, no it did really it said . . . "Kevin please drink me". Now it would have been very impolite to have just shut the door and walk away . . . OK, I am weak but it was fab ~ took 15 mins to drink no after affects . . . limit to one can a day – still no calories xx

Last edited:
Snap Kevin............. I am just having a slightly fizzy flavoured water. My first fizzy thing post op! It is making me do little burpettes but its going down well and so refreshing. I drink all my cold drinks with a straw to make sure I dont gulp. Greedy beast that I am.
Lynne x

Well I opened the fridge and there is was . . . an ICE COLD DIET COKE mmmmmmmmm It spoke to me, no it did really it said . . . "Kevin please drink me". Now it would have been very impolite to have just shut the door and walk away . . . OK, I am week but it was fab ~ took 15 mins to drink no after affects . . . limit to one can a day – still no calories xx

Hi Kevin

In this weather its just what the doctor ordered isn't it. I am not totally sure as to why we were all told no Fizzy Drinks? Is it the gas that will fill our pouches or the fact that Coke has amazing capabilities and could rot our Staples (not a nice thought).
I can drink a can down straight off with no burp or ill effect and I wish I could show your resolve of one a week. I am having a daily can at the mo but then still drink loads of water too.
Anyway - Cheers !

I had an ice pole today i dont drink fizzy drinks but i know where your coming from

This sounds really good. Although I haven't had my op yet, I love to drink loads of fizzy water (not flavoured) but at least 2 to 4ltrs per day. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have this once I had had the op and as for Coke, well that's bubbletastic!!

I think fizzy must be limited to 1 a day (be diet and caffeine free). . . . and not with food but it was just so irresistible today !

I thought I would look around at the subject of Fizzy and RNY ~ found some interesting reading this is taken from "Why Carbonated Beverages are "TABOO" after bariatric Surgery" By: Cynthia Buffington, Ph.D (but reworded and cut down by me to help ME understand it !!)

If you consume a fizzy while eating, the carbonation forces food through the stomach pouch, reducing the time food remains in the pouch. The less time food remains in your stomach pouch, the less satiety you feel leading to you eating more food (possibly). Some claim (though I cannot find any definitive research) that the gas in fizzy drinks may "stretch" your pouch. Food forced through the pouch by the fiz can (allegedly) significantly enlarge the size of your stoma (the opening between the stomach pouch and intestines of patients who have had a RNY or biliopancreatic diversion). An enlarged pouch or stoma would allow you to eat more. Fizzy drinks may also cause weight gain by reducing the absorption of dietary calcium. Dietary calcium helps stimulate fat breakdown and reduce its uptake into adipose tissue. Epidemiological and clinical studies have found a close association between obesity and low dietary calcium intake. Recent studies have found that maintaining sufficient amounts of dietary calcium helps to induce weight loss or prevent weight gain following diet.

The high caffeine in fizzy drinks may reduce the absorption of calcium into the body. Studies have found that caffeine increases urinary calcium content, meaning that high caffeine may interfere with the uptake of dietary calcium into the body.

Fizzy, such as Pepsi and Coke (diet or with sugar), may also cause calcium deficiencies from the high amounts of phosphoric acid that they contain. Phosphate binds to calcium and the bound calcium cannot be absorbed into the body.

Drinking fizzy may also reduce dietary calcium because these beverages replace milk and other nutrient-containing drinks or foods in the diet. Carbonated beverages, then, may reduce dietary calcium because of their high caffeine or phosphoric acid content or because drinking such beverages tends to reduce the consumption of calcium-containing foods and beverages. Such deficiencies in dietary calcium intake may be even more pronounced in Bariatric surgical patients.

Calcium deficiencies with Bariatric surgery have been reported following gastric restrictive and/or malabsorptive procedures. The reduced amounts of calcium with RNY may occur as a result of low nutrient intake, low levels of vitamin D, or, for patients who have had gastric bypass pr the biliopancreatic diversion (with or without the duodenal switch), from bypass of the portion of the gut where active absorption of calcium normally occurs. Drinking fizzy may further increase the risk for dietary calcium deficiencies and, in this way, hinder maximal weight loss success.

For all the reasons described above, including calcium deficits, reduced satiety, enlargement of pouch or stoma, drinking fizzy, even those that are sugar-free, could lead to weight gain. Fizzy that contains sugar, however, pose a substantially greater threat to the Bariatric patient in terms of weight loss and weight loss maintenance with surgery.

In addition to the adverse effects that carbonated drinks have on weight loss or weight loss maintenance, carbonated beverages may also have adverse effects on health. Soda beverages and other carbonated drinks are acidic with a pH of 3.0 or less. Drinking these acidic beverages on an empty stomach in the absence of food, as Bariatric patients are required to do, can upset the fragile acid-alkaline balance of the gastric pouch and intestines and increase the risk for ulcers or even the risk for gastrointestinal adenomas (cancer).

Well guys it looks like it’s back to water for me ! ! x x x

I think I should be saying thank you as I don't want a stomach ulcer or cancer, but. :wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry:

My friend had her bypass at the start of may and went out drinking for the first time on Saturday abd was drinking vodka snd diet coke, she wasn't advised by her hospital or dr not to drink fizzy pop, she can drink anything if taken slowly, it's so strange that every area is different as I have been told never again afte bypass

Haylz xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks for that Kevin.
I'm still going to have my slightly fizzy water occasionally. It is nowhere near as fizzy as coke. Just a little like champagne.
Lynne x

I can't a drink can of pop unless its in a big glass with loads of ice and de fizzed.
If I really fancy a coke I drink draft which is only couple of times a week. I'd have to be really desperate to have a can or from a bottle I just can't drink it too much fizz

Interesting article thanks Kevin. I've missed a few of my calcium tablets lately because I hate the chalky taste, but now I know they increase the chances of losing weight I'll be taking them religiously.
When it comes to diet coke, I really fancied one today as it was so hot. Trouble is I used to drink around ten a day and I can't trust myself to stick to just the one.

Made myself a lovely skinny mocha frappucino instead today.
One spoon of Options Chocolate drink, skimmed milk, spoon of coffee granules, tons and tons of ice. Yummy.

Yorekigal, come and make some of those for me lol. I love them!
Ive got a shop bought one sitting in the fridge and it is to be my treat for tonight.
Lovely!
Lynne x

Just be careful of the shop bought and cafe bought frappuccinos. My dietician said last week that even though we ask for skinny versions, they use a pre-made syrup in them in places like starbucks, which contains the coffee or mocha, and just add the skimmed milk to it. I've not had any adverse effects from them though, but they're probably not as low cal as we think they are.

Thanks for that. These are those you buy at the supermarket though, the ones I like are called Emmi Caffee Lattee, cappuccino iced coffee. 136 cals, 2.8 fat, calcium 221mg and 5.8 protein. Really nice but expensive at 99p a go. Its better to make your own, I know, but they are yummy.
Lynne x

Watch using straws to drink,you will gulp air.

OMG Kevin - why, oh why did you have to follow up with the research !!!!
That's it now, no more Diet Coke for me and those Calcium tablets will be taken religiously.
Oh well, ........what do they say?......"One Swallow Doesn't Make A Summer". Whoever said that, doesn't like Diet Coke like the rest of us do.
Today is going to be the first day of the rest of my life and no more Fizzy, I think the risks outweigh the benefits.
xxx

Watch using straws to drink,you will gulp air.

Thanks bouncy xx
I do watch out, and find its better for me with a straw because I can tended to gulp my drinks pre op. Im not naturally a sipper, im more of a glutton with drinks and like to down a glass of water in one!! Gulp gulp lol.
Lynne x

Back