• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cannot tolerate milk based products

BigDee's now little

good morning all. I thought I was well prepared for my post op liquid stage and would have plenty of activa yoghurt drink, thinned down yoghurts, protein shakes etc. But it appears that anything milk based gets stuck and causes horrendous wind pain. In the end I have to vomit to get rid of the wind. Its not a nasty vomit experience (if that makes sense) but obviously I do not want to persisit with that.
I can tolerate oxos, not coffee, and soup which I have managed to put a teaspoon of milk powder in to up my protein. Has anyone else any suggestions what I can do to either avoid the wind, stuck feeling or increasing my protein as I am lucky to be taking in about 140 cals a day at the moment.
I have to say I don't feel ill, I feel well and I am taking all my vitamins and managing about a litre of water a day.
any suggestions or advice would be appreciated x

I wouldn't worry too much about protein at this stage Dee. Taking on board enough liquid until your stomach heals is more important to avoid dehydration. I was unable to have any yoghurt based products and could only just about tolerate skimmed milk until week 3 post op, and my dietician wasn't worried. Oxo, watered down, well pureed homemade soup, and tomato juice were my staples week 1-4, plus peppermint tea for the wind! Walking helped with wind too. Hope this helps x

Oh and I bought some hot chocolate powder for a change from milky coffee!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Sorry to hear this. You can get liquid protein in the form of shots, and other forms. Maybe worth a try. Also you can buy egg white based protein, instead of milk. Apparently it's nice bit I haven't tried. Like Gilly said though, fluid is the priority right now. X

Dont know if this is something you can try...........I lived on cuppa soups for my first 3 weeks as I too am no good with milk, I also dranks loads of water and I got the protein drinks (I got mine from a muscleman type shop/gym) I dont know if Im allowed to mention the names of them on here?? You mix them with water and they 'sort of' have an apple taste, they have 0 calories and 0 fat.

Also with the cuppa soups, I mixed them thinner and put them thru a tea strainer before drinking to get all the bits out. Worked brilliantly for me.

I had indigestion and it was at times quite painful for the 1st week, but I managed to swear my way thru it and 4 weeks in, I get it maybe once a week, if I eat/drink too quickly.

I do hope you find something you can tolerate soon and start enjoying your new life.

xx

Back