• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carbonation : What actually is the craic ?

Loving the Loop

I was just wondering if anyone, particularly any bypasser's, have went against advice and tried fizzy pop since there operation and if they have what were the effects.

Before you say anything I know I was told by my dietician it was a major No No, and I have stuck with that advice since I started my pre op. The reason I ask is have had a few cravings recently for some Pepsi Max, which I used to drink by the bucket load pre op but I am scared to go against my dieticians advice.

Am I being overly cautious and should give it a go, or should I stick to the experts advice ?

pooh71

I had some lemonade the other day and was fine. Just sipped it at first and no after effects!

beepbeepcat

My dietitian said no no no way however reading the advise sheet it says use Pepsi max in an emergency when food is stuck as it acts like drain cleaner..... I would steer clear as cola is the main reason I'm in the mess I'm in.

Butterfly_lady

I was told coke was fine I have a can occasionally of coke zero, I find it better if I drink it from a glass not from a tin and don't drink it too fast :)

vain

I too loop was told no no for fizzy but I've had the odd sip and no effects I think where the problem is the carbonation can stretch the stomach so I've been told my aunt whom had WLS 4 years ago drinks diet fizzy drinks and she's been fine

los in it

ive had some pepsi/coke and it made me feel funny and in some discomfort I'm guessing its the gas of the coke,i can have a little as a mixer and let it go a little flat but as a rule I tend not too

Kar8858

Put it like this..even the Doctors in Mexico tell you not to drink carbonated drinks after so that says a lot! It can cause stretching and aggrevation of the stomach.

Loving the Loop

Thanks everyone, that definitely generated some varied responses, I am leaning towards the safety first option and staying away from pop for now, no point taking any unnecessary risks. Flat coke is a waste of time so there's no point in trying that.