• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cereal

xxsarahxx

I've read that you should try and stick to no more than 5g of fat and 5g sugar per 100g of food after you op.
I've checked out the cereal and cannot find one variety with sugar below 5g.
Does this mean cereal is off the menu?

Weetabix,oats,ready brek,shredded wheat,Alpen sugarfree,allbran there are loads!Make your own museli.

Last edited:
choc weetabix.....i havent checked but its the lowest for chocie cereals!

Weetabix,oats,ready brek,shredded wheat,Alpen sugarfree,allbran there are loads!Make your own museli.
hi hun, i've justed looked at all bran and it says that the carbs of which are sugars are 17g per 100g (of cereal)...am i looking at the wrong thing here, i aint got a clue what i'm supposed to be looking for.

Hi Sarah,
You will be hard pushed to find any cereal with such a low sugar percentage but as you don't eat 100g of cereal I have always been fine.
I started off with one weetabix...
But now eat all bran, fruit and fibre, rice krispies with no problem.
It's trial and error really x

Yes you only eat about 25/30g of cereal,I eat all the ones I stated and Ive lost four st in 14 weeks!

Yes you only eat about 25/30g of cereal,I eat all the ones I stated and Ive lost four st in 14 weeks!
the proofs in the pudding so they say and 4 stone in less than 4 months is fab. i'm panicking i think because i don't understand it all. i just want to do well thats all. sorry if you thought i was questioning you...i really wasn't, just looking for guidance really x

Hey Sarah,

I need to start this diet soon, i was thiking the milk and yoghurt one because it sounds much more simple than the other option, i am preparing myself for very hungry times, time to find a hobby i think.

I absolutely adore Oats-so-simple syrup flavour made with semi skimmed milk and have this every day. Its filling and keeps me from getting hungry during the morning. I bet this will be a no no won 't it once I am post op? I haven't tried the plain oats-so-simple but I am betting that one will be ok to use. I love my porridge first thing in the morning nom nom!

Yes you will find the oats so simple syrup ones too sweet!
Sumptuousangel why are you considering the milk diet?Are you due your surgery or just cutting down?Its not recommended to be on the milk diet for too long,its for shrinking the liver not an ordinary diet.You couldnt keep it up without being ill.Its usually done for two/three weeks before surgery only.Maz x

Jen1961 Instead of the oat so simple with syrup try the plain one with a teaspoon of honey or acacia syrup for sweetness without the overload of sugar.
I agree with everyone else the amount we will or are wating post op is well within the per serving totals so we should all manage cereal the carbs raise the sugar levels even without added sugars but we need the fibre from the cereals to ease the risk of constipation so a brans with as little sugars as possible but on the small portions they should be okay. I have certainly brought a variety of oaty bix and wheatabix type cereals cereals the bite size ones so I don't make to big a serving to start with and so waste it.

i go thro little obsessions of foods... and at the moment its readybrek!!! with fruit in it to sweeten it... ...

i have to be careful as i cant tolerate wheat :eek::-( so that kinda limits me..x

I rang the dietitian today and asked her how low is low for the carbs, sugars and fat levels when buying foods so I could stock up on safe foods like soups etc for immediately post op so I don't make myself feel rough by dumping, and she has a little card thing with the reccommneded levels on it so is posting me one out. When it arrives I will share it with you all as I am sure we all feel the same wanting to avoid dumping etc. as she says the advice card won't stop us dumping if our pouches react badly to a food type but then again next week the same food could be fine or one that is bad one day won't be fine the next. Just one of the challenges we all have to face and learn to cope with while finding the foods we like and can enjoy safely.

I have always had trouble with cereals - I dump very easily. It's only recently that I'm starting to experiment with adding them into my diet again (14 months post op). I must admit I have missed them, but i have got used to eating eggs and cheese for breakfast instead these days and starting my day with a skimmed milk latte for extra protein and my daily caffeine fix.

Back