• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cheesy Puffs or Wotsits

jaxx

Can we eat these? I've found some Weight Watchers ones that I can eat quite easily as they melt in my mouth. But I've avoided Wotsits in case they're too much in the way of fat, just wanted everyone elses opinion. Oh and can we eat Quavers as well or the low fat equivalent?

Thanks

Jaxx, you will no doubt get loads of replies now from people who say they will never eat another crisp in their life.

Obviously, we have to look to eat as healthily as possible to get the most from the surgery we have had. But as the occasional treat, it wont hurt you.

Watch out for the fat content though. You may have a bit of tummy ache or toilet trouble if you over do it hun x

I don't know but from past experience, one bag of whotsits is never enough. I'd end up consuming the entire multi pack. And it's hardly a nourishing snack.

I have a packet of mini cheddars or walkers french fries every now and then and have been ok. I would imagine wotsits or quavers would be fine, they are just not my thing.

We need to have *some* pleasures!

per 100g per18g
Cal 417kCal 75kCal
Fat 10.8g 1.9g
Sat Fat 1.4g 0.3g
Sugar 3.2g 0.6g
Salt 1.3g 0.2g

Whilst the nutritional facts say you should be OK having these. They aren't going to do a lot for you goodness wise. But as a treat, then it's not going to harm you.

The only thing you have to watch is, as before the op, having too many treats! Which is where most of us got where we were in the first place.

It's all a mind game. If you can have a treat once or twice a week, then fine, no problem. But it's when you're OK with that treat and end up having 3 or 4 treats a day.

It's about eating habits, not what we eat. If you fancy a bag and think one bag will knock that craving on the head for a few days, you have them :D

I agree with everyone that the occasionaly treat wont hurt you - however crisps are my MASSIVE downfall. I cant eat one - it has to be 2 and then later on in the day I end up thinking why did I do that....oh well I will start again tomorrow and have been known to have another packet! Its disgusting, but Im being honest! If you CAN just have one - then good on you! Do it - as a treat, but if like me - I cant hjust have one and end up having to cut them out completely!

Sally x

See this post is what scares me the most....

It's the 'occasional treat' syndrome! I'm sorry but i've been having the occasional treat for 22 yrs. Usually 3 or 4 times a day which explains my weight problem.

I am taking the holier than thou attitude that was taken with a fellow wls peep on here and ask why on earth have the surgery and risk dying and leaving family and friends grieving only to put the food that got you in that place in your mouth again in the first place?

I know you are checking the nutrition and everything, but seriously if they are so nutritionally beneficial why don't we give them our kids instead of weetabix?

Not ranting and omg i hope i have this attitude when i've had my surgery. In the meantime there are no treats in my house and i'm feeling a bit grinch like cos i want one grrr lol xxx

I'm a family packer of crisps. This week I licked a walkers rost chicken crisp, it was gorgeous. I didn't swallow any.

you can have them but they are slider foods and sneaky little things as well. I told myself i would just have a few then leave it at that......ha ha no chance the taste starts the whole oh wow syndrome and before you know it the whole lot have gone. I was stupid and got a large pack of tesco cheese balls thinking i will have a few then put them away for another day!!!
hmmmm right...sat watching the winter olympics and before i knew it the whole large bag had gone in 2 sittings. I am disgusted with myself and will never buy them again as temptation is greater than willpower right now and i have not gone through surgery to fail. Sorry to rant on got a bit carried away there but i had to say how evil they are lol they suck you in and bam to late back to bad habits again...

Last edited:
I suppose I just was craving something crunchy with still being on the mushy stage of my diet. Before my op one bag wouldn't have been anywhere near enough to statisfy my cravings but now, one packet and I'm done. Once again I'm not eating them every day and I am using the weight watchers versions (which are only slightly better I agree).

But thanks for everyone's opinions, they're most welcome.

I find that treats just leave you wanting more, so I'm going to stay away from treats. :D

See this post is what scares me the most....

It's the 'occasional treat' syndrome! I'm sorry but i've been having the occasional treat for 22 yrs. Usually 3 or 4 times a day which explains my weight problem.

I am taking the holier than thou attitude that was taken with a fellow wls peep on here and ask why on earth have the surgery and risk dying and leaving family and friends grieving only to put the food that got you in that place in your mouth again in the first place?

I know you are checking the nutrition and everything, but seriously if they are so nutritionally beneficial why don't we give them our kids instead of weetabix?

Not ranting and omg i hope i have this attitude when i've had my surgery. In the meantime there are no treats in my house and i'm feeling a bit grinch like cos i want one grrr lol xxx

I find that treats just leave you wanting more, so I'm going to stay away from treats. :D

I'm with you 2, no treats for me :D

I am the whole or nothing! I used to smoke 20 a day, then nearly 3 years ago I went cold turkey. There's a guy at work who has 1 every few weeks, I'd love to do that, but I know I can't or a least be too scared to have 1 just in case that was it, the lot!

Its admiral that you can have treats and stop at one. You know your own behavoiur and your body. Personally, for me and my addictive personality I am going to learn to have non food treats to get me through. One was never enough for me and the pain of not being able to have a second and a third is much harder than the pain of doing without. But it is personal for everyone and if you can handle it then you go girl.

i have them and can have one packet of quavers and leave it at that.. i dont like walkers anymore.. they make me feel sick.. and monster munch id eat them all so there a no no even for the hubby! xx

To indulge or not indulge that is the question and let's be real here, WE ALL FACE THIS QUESTION!

When I was pre-op and newly post-op I treated my bypass experience like a religion. I was vigilant about my own diet and frankly very concerned with how other people ate as well. I found myslef saying 'why did you have the surgery then if you are going to eat crap?' alot and I felt very strongly about it! I was so passionate that I think I made some people feel bad or uncomfortable admitting their struggle to adopt new healthy eating habits. I just couldn't understand why people would throw away a chance to be healthy by not following the simple rules of don't eat high sugar & high fat slider foods. But I came to realize as my own 'fat-junk-eating' head began to torture me again (at about 6 months post-op) that I COULD UNDERSTAND and in fact wanted desperately to eat my old favourites. My emotions were overwhelming at this point and I had to face the fact that my emotional eating problem was a HUGE part of my path to obesity with my 'slow' metabolism and lazy lifestyle as distant secondary causes! It was then that I got real with myself and was able to see why people were posting about wanting to eat crap as I was wanting the same thing! I could finally relate and actually felt bad that I had been so harsh with others. I guess what I am saying is that I have been firmly in both camps, the 'why would you ever' and the 'why can't I just sometimes' both made perfect sense to me.

So here is my take on it and I have to say it has already been well said by other posters on this thread. Having the occasional indulgence is not bad, as long as moderation is practiced. Also, know yourself. If you can have something small to indulge and then forget about it then you will be fine. However if you open the door to bad habits and suddenly you find that you indulge too much, then you may have to be more strict with yourself and back away quickly. Only you know if you are in control or not and only you can decide when enough is enough.

Also a point that can't be made often enough is how so many bypassers struggle with under eating in the early days and turn to junk if they struggle getting healthy food in. This is not a safe option and you must not let it happen to you, you can get very sick very fast so please be mindful. Also remember just because at 3-6 months you can indulge in treats frequently and still lose weight DOES NOT MEAN that it is okay or will continue! I can't even remember how many times I have heard people say that 'I have ___ every day and I am still losing so it must be okay'! Well, in the first 6-9 months you will absorb less of what you eat and you are in a weight loss cycle. However at 1 year to 2 years post op that very same diet will cause you to GAIN if you have continued to 'treat' yourself so frequently. It can and will happen so be careful;).

Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to say it as a longterm bypasser that has been there and probably done that!

Nic:)

per 100g per18g
Cal 417kCal 75kCal
Fat 10.8g 1.9g
Sat Fat 1.4g 0.3g
Sugar 3.2g 0.6g
Salt 1.3g 0.2g

Whilst the nutritional facts say you should be OK having these. They aren't going to do a lot for you goodness wise. But as a treat, then it's not going to harm you.

The only thing you have to watch is, as before the op, having too many treats! Which is where most of us got where we were in the first place.

It's all a mind game. If you can have a treat once or twice a week, then fine, no problem. But it's when you're OK with that treat and end up having 3 or 4 treats a day.

It's about eating habits, not what we eat. If you fancy a bag and think one bag will knock that craving on the head for a few days, you have them :D

Good answer here!

Back