• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cleaning Post Op

sophiapink100

Hi All,

I am wondering when you all started house work again after your op. I live alone and I am desperate to Hoover my house and clean the floors, I had my op 11 days ago.

What did you guys do?

I'm a bit (ok a lot) of a cleanaholic I had my op on the thursday I hoovered on the monday I know my o/h did it on the saturday and the sunday but it needed a proper going over :)

I'm with you there. I'm a massive cleanaholic and my house hasn't been cleaned properly since the weekend before I went in.

Arghhhh must clean but everyone keeps saying don't Hoover? X

I agree don't hoover lol buttttttttttt I am a stubborn cow I really don't want anyone doing what I did as you should rest, but if the thought of filth on the floors is stopping you from resting (I usually hoover at least twice but usually 3 times a day) I know I know my bad lol

Sophiapink you need to take it easy because you have injuries in side and you need to be healed slowly by moving backward and forward with a Hoover you can undo the healing which in turn will them take longer for you to get back to normal. The dust will still be there and won't do you any harm you using the machine just might

Yeah, my carpet REALLY needs hoovering too! Mr offered to do it earlier, but as soon as I explained he'd have to do under the furniture and use the hose, his response was "Oh, forget that! I'll just leave it til you're better!" Haha!

He's been pretty good doing stuff he wouldn't normally round the house since I've been out. He's even been coking his own dinners (read: microwaving a ready meal ;) lol). But I think hoovering is where he draws the line.

It's really annoying me, but I'm going to leave it as long as I possibly can!

I've managed to do most other things. Filling the dishwasher was rough, though. So I'm doing what I can in the sink for now.

Sophiapink you need to take it easy because you have injuries in side and you need to be healed slowly by moving backward and forward with a Hoover you can undo the healing which in turn will them take longer for you to get back to normal. The dust will still be there and won't do you any harm you using the machine just might

Totally agree. I know it is frustrating seeing the place not how you like it - but for the sake of your own health follow your surgeons advice to the letter.

I believe most say not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for around 6 weeks.

if you really need it doing that badly can you not ask family or friends to help hoover maybe ???

I think it's one of those things, I know that no one will do it quite right (a tad OCD on my house and the way it's done) so I have avoided asking anyone else but I think I will have to.

There's no way I will get by not lifting anything heavier than a kettle for 6 weeks - I live alone so I have to do everything myself x

You may do more damage than you realise and it's just not worth it in the long run. It won't be long before you can do it and you feel like doing without thinking, that's the time when it's ok because that's you body telling you you can. When I had a hysterectomy I had ( still have lol) three children to look after . Did loads my husband went mad at me but I had to do it my way. And as a result my recovery was longer, my stomach hurt and the consultant said when heard what I was doing it was because of not resting. I know we all think when they say rest for x amount of week "get real , I live on my own , I'm a single parent etc" but as I have gotten older I realise your told for a reason. Do take care you don't want to undo all the hard work. How are you doing in general, how's the weight loss are you still pleased. Are you on mushy food yet.?

I was told not to Hoover for a minimum of 3/4 weeks - when on soft food.

I now know why - got faint and was sick!! That was 3 days ago.

Not worth it Hun. Just do what I'm doing and dream of the deep cleaning you can do as soon the 4 week mark comes lol xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I best lay off then, my mum keeps offering but you know when you don't want someone else to do it because you know it won't be quite right. I sound like a control freak haha - maybe I am a little with cleaning, I just like it done in a specific way. I guess that's what you get from living on your own.

God help when I meet a bloke ;-)

When you meet a bloke you will have to do the marigold test. Now I hear you say what's that well let me tell you . Yellow ones are best, you get him to get naked put an apron on and a pair of rubber gloves if he looks cute he's a keeper if he looks silly or refuses to play dump him lol

Well lol my boyfriend will either kill me or himself when I'm post op with all the extra nagging about housework!

I'm now here laughing, cause when he gets lazy and comfortable for a few months, leaving socks all over, undies on the floor etc, I use one of my crazy tricks to freak him out.

Hahah, was hoping someone would ask! In my defense, I come from a crazy family (i'm brazilian living in the UK). I'll share a couple of stories. We lived in a small 1 bed flat, so as i have an aversion to clutter, everything was well organized. He kept putting used, balled up socks in corners, by the sofa, by the bed. Everywhere. Every time i found them i'd bin them. Until he realized one day he had NO socks, and he couldn't borrow mine as i am a size 8 and he is 13.

Him: Uhhh have you seen all my socks?
Me: Socks? Oh, you mean the ones i kept finding all over the house? Oh i dunno hun, i tend to bin things when they are not where they're supposed to be...

He never did it again, and the look on his face was priceless.

In this flat we had a dishwasher. It's not hard work to fill it up/empty it, easier than washing things by hand. As we both had shared chores, i cooked, he did the dishes. I had just finished a 12h shift, got home at 9pm and the kitchen was a mess and he was playing on the computer, but said he'd sort it "in a minute".

This "in a minute" never came and the next morning i woke up to the same mess. So i washed everything, emptied and cleaned the bin and put a new liner, and filled it with some pots and pans and plates etc as if to throw it away :p He saw the kitchen was lovely and all nice and clean but when he went to put some papers in the bin, he freaked out and i said "Well it'll be easier to use disposable stuff hun!"

Now we live in a place without a dishwasher and he does the dishes every night.

Shame this isn't a permanent effect, i gotta do something like this every few months hahah! Ladies, sometimes you need to use some "crazy", it works!

When you meet a bloke you will have to do the marigold test. Now I hear you say what's that well let me tell you . Yellow ones are best, you get him to get naked put an apron on and a pair of rubber gloves if he looks cute he's a keeper if he looks silly or refuses to play dump him lol

Haha! Brilliant, I will keep that in mind x

Hahah, was hoping someone would ask! In my defense, I come from a crazy family (i'm brazilian living in the UK). I'll share a couple of stories. We lived in a small 1 bed flat, so as i have an aversion to clutter, everything was well organized. He kept putting used, balled up socks in corners, by the sofa, by the bed. Everywhere. Every time i found them i'd bin them. Until he realized one day he had NO socks, and he couldn't borrow mine as i am a size 8 and he is 13. Him: Uhhh have you seen all my socks? Me: Socks? Oh, you mean the ones i kept finding all over the house? Oh i dunno hun, i tend to bin things when they are not where they're supposed to be... He never did it again, and the look on his face was priceless. In this flat we had a dishwasher. It's not hard work to fill it up/empty it, easier than washing things by hand. As we both had shared chores, i cooked, he did the dishes. I had just finished a 12h shift, got home at 9pm and the kitchen was a mess and he was playing on the computer, but said he'd sort it "in a minute". This "in a minute" never came and the next morning i woke up to the same mess. So i washed everything, emptied and cleaned the bin and put a new liner, and filled it with some pots and pans and plates etc as if to throw it away :p He saw the kitchen was lovely and all nice and clean but when he went to put some papers in the bin, he freaked out and i said "Well it'll be easier to use disposable stuff hun!" Now we live in a place without a dishwasher and he does the dishes every night. Shame this isn't a permanent effect, i gotta do something like this every few months hahah! Ladies, sometimes you need to use some "crazy", it works!

This gave me such giggles. Will remember this for future. What is it with men and socks everywhere?! X

Hahah, was hoping someone would ask! In my defense, I come from a crazy family (i'm brazilian living in the UK). I'll share a couple of stories. We lived in a small 1 bed flat, so as i have an aversion to clutter, everything was well organized. He kept putting used, balled up socks in corners, by the sofa, by the bed. Everywhere. Every time i found them i'd bin them. Until he realized one day he had NO socks, and he couldn't borrow mine as i am a size 8 and he is 13.

Him: Uhhh have you seen all my socks?
Me: Socks? Oh, you mean the ones i kept finding all over the house? Oh i dunno hun, i tend to bin things when they are not where they're supposed to be...

He never did it again, and the look on his face was priceless.

In this flat we had a dishwasher. It's not hard work to fill it up/empty it, easier than washing things by hand. As we both had shared chores, i cooked, he did the dishes. I had just finished a 12h shift, got home at 9pm and the kitchen was a mess and he was playing on the computer, but said he'd sort it "in a minute".

This "in a minute" never came and the next morning i woke up to the same mess. So i washed everything, emptied and cleaned the bin and put a new liner, and filled it with some pots and pans and plates etc as if to throw it away :p He saw the kitchen was lovely and all nice and clean but when he went to put some papers in the bin, he freaked out and i said "Well it'll be easier to use disposable stuff hun!"

Now we live in a place without a dishwasher and he does the dishes every night.

Shame this isn't a permanent effect, i gotta do something like this every few months hahah! Ladies, sometimes you need to use some "crazy", it works!

Much easier to get rid of the bloke and keep the place tidy I say :rolleyes:

I've done the same only I'm a carrier bag freak, I give warning and after a week I go around with the bag and collect all the tools and plugs and wires etc to do with his work/job and put the bag outside. It may be days/weeks/or months before he wants something that went in the bag but I get the same response every time " I only left them for a moment or but I was fixing your whatever lol" I mean I have car batteries left on charge on the tumble dryer when he decides they don't change he puts them on the floor in front of it, he doesn't get rid just in case. In case of what, lived with it for thirty years wouldn't change him just moan lol

Back