• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Clothes For Big Girls (and guys too)

Snowcrystal

I used to love clothes when I was slim...It was a passion but it was so easy then and I was spoilt for choice.

Every day clothes, mix and match, evening wear, underwear I could always find something in smaller sizes.

I find now as a larger lady that clothes are a nightmare to find...I hate Evans who think that fashion for slim people are ok for larger people...I'm not that impressed with Anne Harvey too who again uses very unflatterring lines...What are those super wide trousers all about?

Yesterday I saw a very large short lady (at least a size 26-28) squeezed into a pink velour track suit, what she had on was not flattering at all. However when I am out and about I do see some larger ladies who still manage to look lovely with carefully cut clothes.

Do you think that shops still do not cater for larger ladies (or men)?...They might have larger sizes, but are they suitable for larger folks?

How do you, or did you all cope with clothing?

Would you have your clothes made for you of you could?

(((hugs)))

The only gripe I have with Evans, is their t-shirt sleeves are too short for big arms.

That is one area I don't really like about my body and have become very baggy with weightloss, so want to cover them up.

I have a fabulous Ann Harvey top on today, its red and the sleeves come down to elbows and are flared. Perfect.

I find that as a larger lady, the more tailored the main body of a outfit is, it's more flattering. Wearing big baggy clothes make you look bigger.

But saying all that I cannot wait till I can walk into a store and buy stuff that fits without trying it on and is cheaper.

Oh God nothing makes me cringe more than people trying to squeeze into clothes that dont fit, do they not look in the mirror before they leave the house???

I think its depends on how big the person is and what outfit they are trying to pull off

A size 10 girl wearing a little black dress is definately going to look better than a size 20 girl wearing the same dress

I hate the way bigger dresses are made to look like tents, no-one wants to wear a tent...do they???

I cannot wait to be a size 12 again, i'll be able to pick clothes and not even have to try them on in the shops i'll just know they fit me, not like now where I have to try everything on to see if its ok, thats the biggest pain

im really struggling to find a nice outfit for my daughters christening in august
ive been loads of places and cant find anything nice, im a apple shape which i find hard to dress
anyone no any good shops let me know lol x

It is funny how everything thinks their shap/ size is hardest to shop for. I am pear shaped and carry most of my weight from the hips down. I find this impossible to shop for as trousers are always tight round the legs and big round the waist.

I do find Next a good place to shop for clothes as the larger sizes are always cut to suit the biggers size rather than just makingt he size 10 cut bigger. They go up to a 22 in some ranges but 20 in most.

Hi Snow
I don't like tight things on larger people it makes you wonder have they looked in a mirror before they left the house . I`v bought a right few things from Dawn French shop online I like her things . Years ago I use to make things for myself on the old sewing machine and I really enjoyed doing it . Take care .
Margaret xx
PS
You should have a look at www.curvety.com
they have some lovely things I bought a few things from there very nice .

Last edited:
The thing that really gets me is when bigger people are so in denial about their size that wear jeans that only come up to their hips (under their belly) and then they get a top (usually in unflattering white) and tuck it under their bellies and into the jeans. It does absolutely nothing for them and I laugh my back side off when their butt cracks are sticking out lol

i love empire line tops and and tailered trousers or empireline dresses very flattering if you have a big bust,big hips ,big legs,bigggggg everything lol xxheather

Next do a plus size section - but only online.

Also someone told me there is a good sale online at he mo at 'yours clothing' which id never heard of.

I hate the feeling that i have no choice but to do most of my shopping in Evans, but i do also get bits from fashionworld online too.

Take a look at simplybe or Marisota both online shopes for larger people

i really hate seeing big people in leggins and tops that dont cover there stoumachs and bums and all there spare tyers on show

I wear trousers all the time but always make sure my stomach is covered. I hate to see women in velour trackies or trousers as it always shows the lumps and bumps of the bigger female. Even though I wear trousers I would never wear leggings for this reason.I use Shapely figures on line shopping for my clothes as they are cheap and cheerful.

fashion world are good as i am tall i find it hard for tops i get big cause of my belly they are huge on the arms and are never long enough..arghh
evan do have nice stuff but what looks good on a size 12 may not look good in larger size they need to adapt wear.

Ebay is a great place to get clothes super cheap! You have to be prepared to take a few chances because sometimes you cant see clearly but it really pays off.

Hi all I have a nightmare with clothes as I am an apple!! and at 4' 11'' very hard to get stuff. I usually wear crop trousers which come to my ankles and fit perfectly lol Tops are a whole other ball game I hate any of my belly showing as that is the biggest part of me but as the trend is towards shorter lines it is hard getting tops that look nice and cover my belly
As Di says Marisota Simply be and Ambrose wilson all sell large dsizes up to 32 and they do beautiful clothes, however again for me they are no good as I am so short they do not hang right on me
Evans is a nightmare never fit properly and always too baggy round neck and shoulders and smaller size is too tight or too short.
I have all but given up I keep telling myself just use what you have and save your pennies till you are at a size where you can feel good in something.
I long to be able to just lift a top up like it and buy it.....sorted.
Used to shop in Chelsea girl (blast from the past) and Etam liked their clothes then as I got older it was Debenhams and some boutiques now I just dont like shopping.
Also because my feet are bigger, wider, cant get shoes to fit properly was a size 4 now a 6 but they just dont fit right, and with the pain I get in my toe joints it is just not funny anymore.
Oh for the day I can be ME again................

Jay xx

Inspire @ New Look have lush clothes in most of the time. I buy from there 99% of the time. :)

There is no need for large people to dress in leggings and ill fitting tops all the time!

I have found a few local shops to me but also ebay. There are some lovely T-Shirts and Jeans etc which can be had 'fairly' cheap!

Hi Mixman

I am so glad you don't wear leggings!!!...lol!!!

Mind you, you could have been Rudolf Nureyev in a previous life.

(((hugs)))

i agree, some larger people don't dress flatteringly at all, hate to see blokes with their jeans/trousers under their bellys with a shirt or whatever tucked in, and also hate to see women who 'pour' themselves into items that are way too small, much prefer to see in nice fitting clothes, smart but casula, and that goes for men and women too...but of course catering for the larger person has never been easy, people on average are bigger, but the fashion houses still insist on all these tiny sizes....although i'm at my biggest right now, i, for some unknown reason, have kept my clothes from when i was 13 stone lighter than i am now, and also from when i was 'growing' back up again, so don't have to buy too much for when i lose weight, but it is an expensive hobby is losing weight, much the same as gaining weight in fact lol!! :)

Back