• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

coeliac and hoping to have surgery

freddysmum

hello every one,

i am back to the forum after taking the plunge and going to see my doctor, i have my first meeting on monday to find out everything but after reading some of the posts on here i have a few questions.

i have seen i will need a endoscopy and i know im not the best at sticking to my gluten free diet so this will show up then, will this mean i wont be allowed the op.

also if my bmi is above the minimum and i lose weight im told to will i definitely get funding or is it not guaranteed,

i have been refereed to darlington so if anyone can give me any advice or suggestions i would be so grateful

thanks

karen xx

Hi Karen,

I dont know as I went private but just to say good luck with everything, Im sure someone will be able to asssit.

Your celiac won't be a deciding factor on your op but try to avoid gluten till you go. Completely!!! As they will be able to tell if your stomache is smooth that you have been a bad girl xx

I was

Oh dear.....I struggle to be good because I'm quite lucky my coeleac disease doesnt affect me to badly....wat did they say to you kurstywursty about it xx

I went private and didn't have the endoscopy before the op. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last year during investigations and found out I was celiac by accident. But was then shown the biopsy results and photos of my gut and seemingly I must have had it for many years as my villi are totally non existent. I told the Nuffield about this but they were not concerned. My dietitian is though as I have a double don't of a restricted diet because of my band and the non absorbs ion of nutrients due to celiac

Like you, I get away with eating a little gluten...it's only if I eat a fair amount that I end up on the loo. Before my diagnosis that was up to 6 times a day lol. I fairly piled on the weight whe I went gluten free and stopped spending my life on the pan...but with celiac it's the long term affects. Higher bowel cancer risk etc and the calcium deficiency, that is a major concern....so stay off the gluten my love

I know I should stay of it but it's the weight gain although my stomach does flatten a bit... I was diagnosed 30 years ago... Gosh saying that makes me feel old... I know if I get surgery staying of it will be so much easier... I'm so excited for Monday when I have my first appointment I can hardly sleep xx

Hi

Went to the appointment ..slide show wouldn't work.. There were quite a few people there all very nice I think..we were weighed had a talk from surgeon .. Dietician ... And psychiatrist ... We have to attend a 12 week course and loose between 5 and 10% of excess weight... Then we will see surgeon again and discuss if we still want surgery ect and be moved to t4... I feel quite flat after it and wish I had more information but I'm sure I will get to know and at least I get some ideas from everyone in here.. Thanks for posting xx

Thank you carol s ... I've been to a meeting tonight and had lots of questions answered that relate to time scales at Darlington hospital x

Back