• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coffee Makers.

Thanks everyone. Certainly some to think about there. I looked at the bean to coffee one Karlos and I must admit I like the sound of it. Think you can also use ready ground in it too. I have my birthday in Feb so more funds then so I may wait till I can afford a really good one that will hopefully last a good while. I must admit that I am a bit of a fan of Delonghi kitchen stuff :)

Kate x

Nespresso capsules are around 50p each. So much cheaper than my morning Costa ....

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

LOL True but no where near as good.

@ 50 pence each that could work out around £17 a week if you have five cups a day like me. So when you factor that in (A bag of beans is a third of that and lasts me a week) bean to cups machines are the best value, and I'm told by the people at Selfridges who sell them, that the pods and even ground filter bag coffee starts to degrade as soon as they are made or the coffee is ground, so the best way to get the bestest freshest coffee is bean to cup. So expensive initial outlay but the value for money and coffee quality is better x

Damn! Not only am I spending too much time here, I'm now spending far too much money through being here too - just ordered a Delonghi bean to cup machine...

is this a sign of addiction transfer?

Think so hun LOL I've got it & spending far too much money on clothes.

Think so hun LOL I've got it & spending far too much money on clothes.

Bugger! Well I suppose admitting it to oneself is the first step - or will at least make spending on other things easier as I now don't have to go through the ritual of justifying it to myself... for example, for the coffee machine...

Against) We don't need one of those - we've a сafetière à piston which makes great simple coffee...

For) But, it doesn't do expresso, latte or cappuccino....

A) yea, but we do have that Tassimo machine and can always go and buy the pods for it...

F) have you forgotten, a) they aren't that nice (and that's why you stopped using it) and b) it isn't even yours (it's your partners ex husbands)...

A) But, these Delonghi bean to cup machines are so expensive....

F) They are, but you get what you pay for and anyway, look what the others have said about running costs...

A) It would be terribly extravagant...

F) So, buy it as a joint Christmas gift - something for you both - your first "household item" purchase with your new partner...

F) Well she does like coffee...

F) Look amazon have big discounts too....

F) and 1 day delivery...

All of that would be saved now - I can just buy things 'cause I know I'm addicted to buying things...

Aaaah sounds like a fight between yourself! Go for it if you can afford it. I like the joint first item for you as a couple. She will be putty in your hands!

There is an espresso maker with milk frother in Lidl this week for £40! I've made my mum buy it me for Xmas x

Aaaah sounds like a fight between yourself! Go for it if you can afford it. I like the joint first item for you as a couple. She will be putty in your hands!

It was, the guilt of spending vs the double high of online buying. First high from pressing "buy now" and second high when the delivery man turns up with a big package (but maybe that's another thing...).

Joint Christmas gift seemed to seal the deal. Ordered on Friday, delivered yesterday and unpacked and running in 30 mins. Now skinny lattes all round as I learn to adjust its setting for strength, size and hotness...

I got a 40 pounds one in Currys that takes filter cofee. It has a great milk steamer. I didnt want to be a slave to a pod manufacturer as they seem to work out quite expensive.

Boy do I currently miss it on holiday!

There is a 25% reduction on a De Longhi Cafe Corso bean to cup machine in Argos at present. £299.99 instead of £399.99. Sales on soon too, good luck choosing Mrs Q!

Just seen this post. I bought one from Argos - their own make - Cookworks Espresso maker.

It makes great coffee and has a milk steamer too so nice coffees

Oh and just tried the French vanilla coffee in the edpresso maker. Was from a company called beanies. Lovely coffee and sugar free too. Available online but they sold it in Fenwicks department store in Newcastle.

You can buy the pods for coffee alot cheaper on Ebay :). Hubby just bought me a Dolce Gusto, from there site worked out at £3.86 for a box of 6 skinny Cappucino/latte then postage on top. I Just got 16 boxes of 8 skinny from ebay free postage for £25.................Bargain.

I've got the tassimo pod coffee machine. I love the taste of the costa americano but it is expensive. I bought a seperate milk frother for 4 quid from asda and now make lattes with that and just add an espresso pod to them. It's much cheaper than buying the latte pods.

A word of warning though. The increase in coffee I've been drinking has played havoc with my post op bowels!

btw the tassimo machine was half price at sainsburys when i bought it a month ago, at 70 quid and includes a £20 voucher for pods from the tassimo website.

...I just fell over at the mention of 'bargain' coffee-maker prices such as, £399 reduced to £299... Wowee. That is expensive! Isn't it? It certainly is, to me LOL.

It is expensive, but also (personally) a bit scary how much my newly acquired latte habit is costing me from high street chains at £2.65 a cup!!

If only it wasn't an easy route to protein .......... Sigh!

Good filter coffee is all about the coffee beans and extraction time. Espresso, however, it's the 'grind' that's important so a good quality grinder is a must; then the espresso machine and finally the beans.
You can produce excellent filter coffee with a cheap French Press, but to pull a good shot of espresso requires good kit and it is not cheap. You really do get what you pay for re. espresso kit. Most decent machines cost the price of a family car, however, you can get a decent entry level machine for around £400. The Rancilio Silvia is a good buy at this price point. After a bit of a learning curve, it can produce some amazing shots. That said, it can only produce results if the grinder is up to it! That's another £300 or £400 purchase!

£400 sounds a lot for a coffee machine but I suppose we're spending a lot less money on food these days aren't we?

Back