• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Completely lost with direction!

L0ckerz

I know this is non weight related but I feel completely directionless with life, I'm 23 and have NO idea what I want to do regarding jobs ect. I get bored easily, need to constantly be kept mentally stimulated, need to be entertained, loves to laugh, loves anything pretty.... But completely uninspired by anything ! How did you decided where you wanted to be in life? Xx

I went through a similar phase when I was your age (oh my god I sound so ancient...I'm 31 by the way) a really good way to get inspired is to do some volunteer work, get involved with your community. animal charities are good, kids charities or charities for different disabilities. join groups that are based around your hobbies. If you love pretty things learn a craft...I make cushions and love shopping for gorgeous fabrics and making up fun designs. Do work experience for a day at different places to see what it's like...did you got to college/Uni? If not look at classes. I suffered from depression for 6 years (still struggle sometimes) so know what it is like to feel un-inspired, de motivated and like I have no direction. The biggest mistake is to DIY around waiting for something to happen...you have to make it happen! A bit like deciding to have WLS...make a change and strive to do more and be more! We can all be amazing xxx good luck

Very true Caroline, you have to get out there and get among it. It won't come knocking at your door. How will you ever find what you want to do if you don't try out new things? I find myself asking this question at school over and over again.

I'm 32 and have always struggled with this. The things I would say to remember is that what ever you decide to do, you don't have to stick to it if it's not right. At your age you really can try things out and see what happens. I made the mistake that thinking my first career path had to be my only one and when I was unhappy and left my job after 5 years at 22 I thought I'd failed at life but now I look back and wish I could of told myself not to be so stupid, there are a millions things and opportunities to take in this world. I went back to full time education at 29 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I'm not doing exactly what I want to do but I'm close and I know there is a chance in the future of getting what I want. It doesn't matter how old you are, you can always start fresh. Especially when you are young and have less responsibilities than when you are older. If I were you I'd think about travelling to get a real taste of the world, you can volunteer whilst you are at it and get some great experiences and make you CV really dazzle and if you've not already been to college and uni I'd recommend that too. I was surprised at how much fun it was to study something that I really wanted to do and made life long friends too. Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun :) x

Hi Emma,

My daughter went to Uni after school and studied English Language and Linguistics, she then had 2 years out ((8 months travelling and the rest doing temping jobs) last week she started Uni for the 2nd time to study Speech Therapy, (this is something she has always wanted to do, however she needed Biology A Level and this was not a subject she was good at) she will be 26 before she qualifies (I was married with a baby on the way when I was her age). My husband and I are behind her all the way and she is a lucky girl that we can help support her but, the point I would like to make is......is that life is too short and if there is something out there that you think you would like to do then just go for it....where there's a will there's a way as Shelleymarie has said if there's something you fancy trying well then just 'go for it' and give it a go.....you have nothing to lose
My hubby always jokes when people say to my kids what do you want do when you grow up.......he's now 55 and says he still doesn't know what he will do when he grows up xxx

If its any help, I'm 38 and in my second year at Uni as I've now finally worked out what I want to do!

There aren't many people who know at school leaving what they want to do and get out there and do it. The advice to go and try your hand at things is excellent. If you go with something you enjoy doing you won't go far wrong.

Back