• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering Gastric Band - have Q's

slimmerkay

Hi there

I saw my doctor last week and it was she who brought up the possibility of me having gastric band surgery. I'm now considering it.

Can I ask, presumably afterwards you can eat very little compared to what you used to eat. But how do you cope with the cravings to eat? Do you still feel the urge to eat things you can't?

Also, do you not feel constantly hungry because you're eating so much less?

I will no doubt have a thousand more questions in the coming weeks as I try to make up my mind.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome

I will try and anser your questions honestly but from my own experiences, as everyone who has this surgery has a unique story.

Can I ask, presumably afterwards you can eat very little compared to what you used to eat. But how do you cope with the cravings to eat?
This is an average day for me 7 months post op, for breakfast I have a small bowl of granola or museli, with some kind of fruit added, a probiotic yoghurt and skimmed milk. For lunch, either soup with a little grated cheese, or an omelette or prawns and salad/veg. For dinner, a pice of lean meat, that would fit in the cup of my hand, vegetables and maybe a potato. I still allow myself a few sweet thing but my tastebuds are changing and I don't crave carbs so much and as for chocolate, I am no longer that interested.

I still get cravings, sometimes I give in and sometimes I just reach for something healthy to fill the gap, or drink water.

The cravings never totally go but you learn new ways to deal with this and as your body gets slimmer and fitter you feel less inclined to do stuff that will jeopardize that.

Do you still feel the urge to eat things you can't?

Simple answer is yes but you learn that it is sometimes painful to go there physically, so it puts you off doing it.

It can be a bit tough until they get the restriction right but once you get into eating less, your stomach shrinks a little and your appetite is lower, also as you slim down your body needs less fuel.

You are doing the right thing, it's good to question, read everyone's blogs and posts. I wish you luck with your journey...:)

Hi there

I saw my doctor last week and it was she who brought up the possibility of me having gastric band surgery. I'm now considering it.

Can I ask, presumably afterwards you can eat very little compared to what you used to eat.
at 1st you wont want to eat after the op because of the swelling and that gives a bander thr 1st taste of what restriction is like, the swelling soon goes and the desire to eat bigger portions comes back, the restriction level is then gradually given through fills the 1st fill is usually given 6 weeks post op, but banders do not usually get a good resriction level until fills 2-3.

But how do you cope with the cravings to eat?
bands usually suit savoury volume eaters, i still crave all the foods i used to b4 banding but the band has physically stopped me eating bad things like bread, pastry, pizza & burgers ect. it will not stop you craving sweet foods either nor will restrict you from eating them, this is the side with a band that extreme will power is needed.

Do you still feel the urge to eat things you can't?

yes very much so, just because a band is in situ doesnt automatically change your chain of thought towards food, thats where support is needed from your providor b4 & after surgery to help you mentally cope with life after banding.

if the right types of foods are eaten for the restriction level at the time then no.

I will no doubt have a thousand more questions in the coming weeks as I try to make up my mind.

my answers are from my own personal experiences as many banders have different opinions on rights and wrongs with banding.

liz x

hi sorry i can not answer you question as i,ve had a bypass but wanted to wish you luck you,ll get all the help you need here x x x sarah

yes and the band will let them thro as well, so u will have to use willpower to stop eating biscuits of any kind.

Presumably I would get all this info off the hospital should I go ahead, so sorry to pester you ladies.

So the food that the band wont let through - what happens if you try to eat it? Are you sick?

its a learning curve you learn as the restriction level goes up after fills its built up gradually, if you eat to much of a portion you will be sick once you learn what restriction actually feels like. if you eat alot of sweet foods the bypass would be better for you, you need to discuss your eating habbits truthfully with the surgeon and decide between you both which op would suit you best.

Last edited:
Hi there

Can I ask, presumably afterwards you can eat very little compared to what you used to eat. But how do you cope with the cravings to eat? Do you still feel the urge to eat things you can't?

i now eat a side plate or bowl of food instead of a dinner plate plus seconds usually. if im hungry now i eat if i dont im more tempted to overeat[although when i do push it to much im sick]
i dont usually feel that hungry tho , i still crave chocolate especially at totm but i work round it by having yogurt or ating a choc muffin as i cant have more than a few mouthfulls as it not one of my band friendly foods. if im having a really stressful day and want to nibble i do so on crackers. i do miss eating veg tho i cant toleralte most veg but am ok with salad but it does vary between people what the tolerate

Back