• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering gastric sleeve

bearded_cavalier

Hi all,

I'm a 38 yr old male with BMI 43.Have struggled with my weight since my early 20s, have lost a little here with loads of different diets and there, but the weight always comes back. I'm now at my heaviest ever. A familiar story I guess.

While I've never been comfortable with my weight, I always felt I could carry it ok and get by. That started to change after Christmas - I've been feeling really lethargic, getting out of breath easily, pain in back and knees. It suddenly struck me - this is only going to go downhill unless I do something radical.

I've just been considering surgery for the last couple of weeks. It was scary at first, but the more I learnt about it the more I wanted it. I have two young kids with special needs, and I don't want to leave them fatherless in their teens.

So I've taken the decision that I want surgery. My wife supports me, but I think I've freaked my elderly parents out a bit. I kinda wish I hadn't told them - they are quite anxious about it and saying I should be doing things the 'natural' way - eating three meals a day, cutting out snacks, avoiding alcohol etc. Been there, done that.

I've had a consultation via Skype with Prof Ammori, who recommended the sleeve. He seems to have great reviews. Downside is the price (though he is pretty reasonable by UK standards). I've also arranged to see Belgian Surgery Services in London and the saving seems to be quite substantial. Has anyone any experience with them? A little nervous about going abroad though... part of me would rather be in my 'comfort zone' when undergoing major surgery!

no experience with going abroad sorry but have had my sleeve for 6 weeks now & absolutely love it!!

Good luck with your journey :)

On Day 9 post-sleeve- I was suffering similar issues re joint pain and out of breath with the pre-op diet and post surgery I am already 28 lbs down and am already feeling the benefit and this is only week 4 of the experience. Op went really well and I have had no body hunger since the op I only eat as required not because I am hungry (still have head hunger issues though).

Wish I had done it at your age so would recommend you to go for it.

Had my op done private locally- I know it is much more expensive but the support so far has been great.

Thanks to everyone for their positive responses. Glad to have found this forum - seems like a very useful support.

There is so much negativity elsewhere on the web!

I have found that the help here is warts and all, but that's exactly what you want. I am 8 months post sleeve and haven't regretted it for one single day. Good luck with your decision.

Back