• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello and considering a sleeve!

That's funny cause I posted somewhere last night about gulping down juice as I don't sip :)

Haha kind of glad I'm not the only one! I guess it's impossible to gulp or it causes pain so I'm sure we'll quickly learn. RIP gulping!! :D

MD I was wondering what the pre-op diet is at Edinburgh spire and how long you do it for? Also is their support groups? I don't know anyone e in RL who's had WLS?

Hi Ladylou! Welcome to the site. I had my op at Edinburgh Spire over 3 years ago, I've lost over 6.5 stone and now had tummy tuck and breast uplift to deal with the excess skin. The support given at Spire is really good, particularly Lorna and the dietician. They do have a support group that meets monthly, I've never been but a friend who's had a bypass recently has been going along to it. I'm sorry to hear about your marriage difficulties. My husband has always been very supportive throughout the whole process. I feel humbled that he loved me fat, and loves me now, and is very proud of his new wife!!! However I think that the changes the weight loss brings are hard to describe. My husband has always been quite laid back and doesn't really care how he looks- well I do. I don't mean he needs to lose weight or anything drastic, but I'd like him to wear nice clothes and notice when he has worn holes in his shoes!! Maybe get his suit cleaned once in a while!!! That sort of thing. The other thing is I think you have to learn to love yourself whatever you look like. Our friends and family have and will always loved us, but I think generally we don't always love ourselves, and losing weight doesn't flick a switch in our heads unfortunately, as we will always find something to feel bad about. It generally becomes the issue of loose skin. I just can't get my head round the fact I am now 'normal' possibly even 'slim' I still feel like an imposter in slimville and that I'll wake up and it'll all be back!! It's not an easy journey, but it's worth it!! My two boys are now 9 and 6 and soon they will have forgotten I was ever fat and I love that! I love doing stuff with them, and not being put off by my size. I still enjoy food, go out for meals, love cooking, but I accept the fact I'm on micro portions for life. I hope that helps you in some way, I don't post often but I do log on most days. :) Good luck with whatever you decide. Crackers x

Thanks so much for your reply Crackers. Must admit I do worry about lose skin and the 'last satsuma in the bag' boobs!! But would this not be an issue with any significant weight loss?

My hubby loves me but I doubt that he is currently attracted to me, altho he says he is. He started really taking care of himself a few years ago and his body completely changed, it made me feel even more uncomfortable!! I'm pretty sure he'll come around but he is terrified!

Have you ever read a book called 'Body Confidence' by Astride Longhurst? It's very good and best I've read and really helped me in many ways, Infact i must dig it out.

Hi Lou
The pre op duet wasn't too bad, low fat and low calorie and high protein but definitely doable. it is two weeks prior to surgery and although I was hungry the closer I got my hunger went as the nerves kicked in!

As for support groups I know they have them but I don't think I would feel up for that just now maybe in the future but Lorna and Fred (dietician) are brilliant.

I can't imagine being that hung up on loose skin but who knows! I hate the idea of more surgery but as it is a longish way off I'm not giving it a lot of thought just yet. Maybe once I'm slimmer it will be more important to me... Who knows! I look forward to that being my concern rather than the stress of being heavy! Maybe I'm talking too soon though. I suppose only time will tell.

Take care

MD

What's RL? Sorry I'm not great with all the initials yet! X

I'm honestly not missing food it's weird but its a relief to not have to think about it. It's like the pressure has gone and I'm eating because I know I have to not because I'm hungry/bored/tired/emotional etc. from looking on here the pleasure of food returns as does the recognition of being hungry but for now I'm just enjoying the peace in my head from the lack of interest/hunger.

I'm not sure if I've explained it very well but it's a good feeling. Looking forward to weighing in on Monday!

MD x

I will look up that book Ladylou, sounds interesting.

The loose skin thing came as a surprise to me too!! I think its as you lose the weight, and see what potential lies underneath. I find it all quite an amazing process - much more a head game than I ever imagined. I think I spent most of my time before avoiding thinking about how I looked, and I wasn't really bothered - I just wanted to lose the weight to be healthier. But once the weight came off I was much more fascinated and critical of how I looked than ever before?!

Hi, went to my Dr's to ask for band, said it could take up to two years before its done... Told my husband what I'd asked my Dr for and he said 'better get on that computer and sort a loan out then and go private! So that's what I've done. He's very supportive and says that if I don't do something the chances are he'll be a widow in ten years. So a week later, after asking my Dr, I've researched and now booked in to hospital in Belgium for a sleeve on 18th March! Decided the sleeve because if for any reason the band had to come out or didn't work, I'd still be paying the 5,300 for next five years! So, for all those on here that's had it done, well done can't wait, and for those contemplating it, nothings going to change for the better unless you take action. I was 11st.7 10 yrs ago and now 18.9, and have put on about a stone a year for past 7 years so it's the only solution. I'm scared as it's in another country but it's not a backward country so fingers crossed.

That's funny cause I posted somewhere last night about gulping down juice as I don't sip :)

I remember reading somewhere that one way to overcome this is to use a childs sippy cup :)

What a good idea - I am now going to hunt for a sippy cup. I've been trying to slow drinking down - not that successfully I admit - I suspect pain will help with compliance post op! x

Hi Ladylou30

Wishing you all the very best in your journey for a Sleeve, remember we only have one life do whats best for you.

It took me a lot of years to relise this, and at 58 I had my Sleeve last November best thing ever.

Take Care

Oh thankyou Willow. Just some messyness to get through but I'm pretty sure that this is the answer long term for me ...... Sadly x

Back