• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation..

mandym1

I have been told by a friend to get some lactulose for after surgery as she had real trouble going the loo afterwards (severe pain)..

I havent heard about this anywhere else and it hasnt been mentioned by my Doctor.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would lactulose be ok to take after bypass?

Hi hun - I'm 10 days out and although the number two's are not that often while I'm on the liquid diet when they do come it can be extremely painful. My hospital gave me Milpar, a laxative, but (being blunt) the stools are really hard and I must admit I sometimes hope I'm not going to go!

hi, its common after most ops under a general to be constipated after, so id be prepared ,although lastose did make my mate dump, it can make the recovery from any surgery so much easier and less painful if your not constipated ,im sure post oppers will help you with this , good luck x

Barriatric nurse suggested Prune juice, although when I tried it the other week the pain while it was aggitating the system wasn't nice either.

it can be a bit harsh,water it down with warm or hot water ,nasty but does work for me ! or give doc a ring x

Worry not Mandy the hospital sends you home with a bottle of Senna liquid,I used it once.

Oh thats good Maz.. I'll have to remember that. What else do they send you home with? I know you get heperin injections but what else should I expect to be given?

Hi Mandy
I've seen my bariatric nurse today for a check up and she asked how my 'toilet habit's were so I asked about the extremely painful No2's and she said to take Milpar twice a da, morning and evening, so soften the stools. I asked about Lactulose and she said this would move them but not make them softer so would still be ainful to pass. And also to drink more fluids than I am currently!

Lactulose can cause dumping in some people too as it's high in sugar. Avoid constipation in the first place with lots of water and a tsp of benefibre every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back