• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CONSTIPATION

SHARONA

Could any one PLEASE help. Since starting my pre op diet I have become extremely constipated. Today Was the last straw I could not pass my motions with out crying and it taking my breath away , (sorry for the so much detail) but I felt like I was in labour. I had to do a manual evacuation to ease the pain. Has any body had the same problem and could peops recommend a good remedy. Im starting to try ORISTAN cubes. Im drinking a lot if water too . Why is this????

Last edited:
Sharon. I have had to go mining too on occassions since my op. I try to eat as much non starch low carb veg as I can. Broccoli cauliflower and celery. All minimal calories. My pre op diet was food low carb. Now I only let it go a day and take lactolose a liquid form of gentle laxative the pharmacist recommended. It's miserable. I had an episode again last week because my fluid intake was low. Keep on top of it. You don't want to get the old farmer Giles lol. I'm terrified of that x

I was fine before the WLS but after.....oh boy !
I was given as part of the bag of pills from the hospital lacolose and was advised to take when needed but found it far to sweet so stopped taking it .....then I tried prune juice not too bad tasting and did do the trick but at that point I was still drinking very little so not enough to be helpful so went to the chemist after a few days who suggested something gentle like DULCOLAX 5g tablets take 1 before bedtime or you can take 2 if you need to now this did work for me its costs around £1 for 10 tablets
but as your pre op I would say try the prune juice first then if need to the dulcolax and drink loads of water
all the best

Could any one PLEASE help. Since starting my pre op diet I have come extremely constipated. Today Was the last straw I could not pass my motions with out crying and it taking my breath away , (sorry for the so much detail) but I felt like I was in labour. I had to do a manual evacuation to ease the pain. Has any body had the same problem and could peops recommend a good remedy. Im starting to try ORISTAN cubes. Im drinking a lot if water too . Why is this????
I had the same problem during my pre op diet . I asked on here and someone suggested Dulcoeze which softens things :) It did help which surprised me as I take codeine which tends to give me problems even before the diet.
I have had to resort to the Dulcolax since the op which has a little bit more of a kick. Don't suffer, it'll only get worse, have a word with your GP. I take movicol daily which helps but sometimes we all need a little help. Good luck

Sharon. I have had to go mining too on occassions since my op. I try to eat as much non starch low carb veg as I can. Broccoli cauliflower and celery. All minimal calories. My pre op diet was food low carb. Now I only let it go a day and take lactolose a liquid form of gentle laxative the pharmacist recommended. It's miserable. I had an episode again last week because my fluid intake was low. Keep on top of it. You don't want to get the old farmer Giles lol. I'm terrified of that x
Thank you kirstywursty it was horrid. I did nit have this problem before i was regular as clock work. I have terrible stomach ache and feel suck because of it . Im eating lots of veg and salad so really don't know why is it because we have minimal carbs?? Tomorrow broccoli is on the menu. Im going to take more laxatives tonight to see if that helps. Yes i think im going to gave to get old farmer Giles to get his shovel lol x

I was fine before the WLS but after.....oh boy ! I was given as part of the bag of pills from the hospital lacolose and was advised to take when needed but found it far to sweet so stopped taking it .....then I tried prune juice not too bad tasting and did do the trick but at that point I was still drinking very little so not enough to be helpful so went to the chemist after a few days who suggested something gentle like DULCOLAX 5g tablets take 1 before bedtime or you can take 2 if you need to now this did work for me its costs around £1 for 10 tablets but as your pre op I would say try the prune juice first then if need to the dulcolax and drink loads of water all the best
Thank you losinit, it was horrid. I did not have this problem before i was regular as clock work. I have terrible stomach ache and feel suck because of it . Im eating lots of veg and salad so really don't know why is it because we have minimal carbs?? Can i have prune juice do i have to count it in as part of my pre op diet. I really do not want this problem again esp after the op. I will try dulcolax again. Thanks off to the loo again ouch!! X

I had the same problem during my pre op diet . I asked on here and someone suggested Dulcoeze which softens things :) It did help which surprised me as I take codeine which tends to give me problems even before the diet. I have had to resort to the Dulcolax since the op which has a little bit more of a kick. Don't suffer, it'll only get worse, have a word with your GP. I take movicol daily which helps but sometimes we all need a little help. Good luck
thank you so much Karen . Just read your thread it seems like you 10 day into pre op and the constipation starts. Its awful im normally regular as clock work. Im do in pain. Having to do a evacuation my self was the only way sorry but ball after ball of faeces impaction. I could never go through this again. I wasn't sure about taking remedies whilst on the pre op diet. But I'm going to have to till i see my gp next week. Thanks for your help Karen its a big help. How are you in your journey??? X

thank you so much Karen . Just read your thread it seems like you 10 day into pre op and the constipation starts. Its awful im normally regular as clock work. Im do in pain. Having to do a evacuation my self was the only way sorry but ball after ball of faeces impaction. I could never go through this again. I wasn't sure about taking remedies whilst on the pre op diet. But I'm going to have to till i see my gp next week. Thanks for your help Karen its a big help. How are you in your journey??? X

My husband calls mine rabbit pellets. :)

The problem is that the pre-op and post of diets do not include enough fiber.

My doctor and the bariatric nurse suggested taking something like Fybogel. It is an orange flavored drink that increases your fiber intake. you mix the sachet with a 150ml glass of water.

Just give your dietitian per-op or post-op to confirm that it is okay to take,

The problem is that the pre-op and post of diets do not include enough fiber. My doctor and the bariatric nurse suggested taking something like Fybogel. It is an orange flavored drink that increases your fiber intake. you mix the sachet with a 150ml glass of water. Just give your dietitian per-op or post-op to confirm that it is okay to take,
Yes my mom said to try Fybogel will help! Thanks for that Stephem x

Glycerin suppositories. They act quickly but I don't think they soften it but rather coats it. I don't know if this is a stupid question but how do you self evacuate?

Debbie

Put something in to dig it out!

Press on the mass from the outside and try to squeeze it down

Try to grasp any little that pokes it's head out and break it off

I have even used a syringe full of soapy water

All lovely stuff like that lol

Im bet your glad you asked ;-)

Glycerin suppositories. They act quickly but I don't think they soften it but rather coats it. I don't know if this is a stupid question but how do you self evacuate? Debbie
Hi Gladys doctor has just given me some g sup and some LAXIDO s. Basically like Kurstywursty said i put a glove on and removed as much as the impaction as possible. (sorry for detail) as i was in so much pain as my rectum was stretched open for so long and I could not pass it. I feel a bit better but am frightened of this reacquiring I just had to get help from doc .

I have had that before as well. Trying to push so it is just pushing against the rectum wall then the next day having such pain in the rectum that I couldn't even push slightly because of it. Our poor bodies do go through it don't they!

Debbie

Well today I have had the first dose of a runny tummy since my op....ah bliss

I made this amazing soup and I will make sure I get another batch on

4 cup shredded white cabbage
2 cup onion
2 cup tomato (fresh chopped)
4 table spoons tomato purée
4 stock cubes (I used knor chicken)
8 cups water

All American cup measures - like a large tea cup

Boil for an hour - then whizz it up a bit with a Gand blender

Yum yum it's moves the tum :)