• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Consultation not what I expected!!

Daisyhappy!

Ok, so I met with a surgeon but not the surgeon who does the band. He took all my details, when he read my questionaire he saw that I smoke end said "are you mad?! After you're mother dying of lung cancer!" Fair point! But another question was have you ever given up and for how long, I said yes as soon as I found out I was pregnant until after I gave birth, he said "ha yeah right!" I was a bit offended and said "no really, I did!" To which he just smiled not believing me!
Anyway about the band, he told me I could die and is it worth it when I have a good quality of life now!! I'm miserable in this body and 8 stone overweight! I'm also going private so giving them 8k!
Anyway in the end he told me I was a good candidate for the op and gave me the same info pack they sent me in the post. I asked about dates etc and he just said go and think about it. I said I just wanted a rough idea because of work, he just replied you're young you have plenty of time.

Wtf?!

Deary me some one needs lessons in bed side manners !! I expect you are very confused right now !
Hope it hasn't stopped you following your dream hun xx

Oh, well I can only assume he has made his millions :( What a bizzarre consultation. So ring back tomorrow & tell them you HAVE thought it over & want to go ahead ... good luck, chick xxx :):)

Ha what a strange man! I wonder if he has something against band surgery maybe? He's very very overweight himself so wonder why he hadn't considered it when its readily available, I don't mean that as *****y as it sounds he just seems to think I shouldn't get it, I genuinely got the impression he was trying to talk me out of it!!
No he hasn't changed my mind at all, I had a good chat with the receptionist and there's an op date on the 1st and 2nd December, if I have the money by then that'll be it, eeeek!x

Yeah he was a bit horrible and I didn't get to speak to the anesthetic person which I really wanted to. I asked would it be safe for me and he said that's up to him but it seems I won't get to talk to him until I'm actually in there. Does anyone know if the contraceptive pill makes any difference regarding blood clots? I'm on Yasmin but this wasn't mentioned. The main woman in charge of band patients is ringing me tomorrow so I'll have a chat with her, let her know I wasn't happy with the "consultation" at all! Myself, my partner and my baby trecked across the city on buses and trains which were all delayed due to the flooding here in Dublin for that sham of a consultation. Didn't get home till nearly 9, pretty pissed off about the whole thing :( but I want/need this so badly!x

Oh also, to add to my rant! I asked did he witness any very successful patients and he told me one woman lost 8 stone in 6 months, then burst out laughing and said "but she was huuuge, like -held his arms out like he was doing charades of mister blobby!- I mean -more laughing-, really huge" I think that's a disgraceful way to talk about a patient in his clinic, especially one who has done so amazingly well!
Grrr! The waiting room was full of thank you cards for him!? Shocking!

Oh also, to add to my rant! I asked did he witness any very successful patients and he told me one woman lost 8 stone in 6 months, then burst out laughing and said "but she was huuuge, like -held his arms out like he was doing charades of mister blobby!- I mean -more laughing-, really huge" I think that's a disgraceful way to talk about a patient in his clinic, especially one who has done so amazingly well!
OMG what a horrible man...hope you're okay hun xx

Hi there that was an awful consultation id take my feet and my money and go elsewhere.im going to Prague for a gastric wrap hopefully soon,I'm from derry in northern Ireland.wraps are the newest and most effective compared to the band.have researched in depth every possible weight loss surgery option.even contacted top surgeons in America. Wrap is same principle as gastric sleeve although it's reversible.no fills needed.people will treat you the way you allow them too.he obviously has no decency compassion or empathy.he's done you a favour I think.he's only money driven.walk away.ive found a wonderful comPany and would be willing to share my stori and findings,I've already lost 10 stone with diet and excercise have gained two over past 3months due to injury and inability to excercise have made tonnes of friends through the cosmetic bliss Facebook page and have made my mind up to go with this company purely on feedback and recommendations from their patients.dont rush in.i know u just want it sorted believe me better you see his colours now.would be happy to chat on the phone if you like.all is not lost.take heart angel blessings. Michelle from Derry

Ok, so I met with a surgeon but not the surgeon who does the band. He took all my details, when he read my questionaire he saw that I smoke end said "are you mad?! After you're mother dying of lung cancer!" Fair point! But another question was have you ever given up and for how long, I said yes as soon as I found out I was pregnant until after I gave birth, he said "ha yeah right!" I was a bit offended and said "no really, I did!" To which he just smiled not believing me!
Anyway about the band, he told me I could die and is it worth it when I have a good quality of life now!! I'm miserable in this body and 8 stone overweight! I'm also going private so giving them 8k!
Anyway in the end he told me I was a good candidate for the op and gave me the same info pack they sent me in the post. I asked about dates etc and he just said go and think about it. I said I just wanted a rough idea because of work, he just replied you're young you have plenty of time.

Wtf?!
id take my money elsewhere!! cheeky git!! and £8,000 for a band? not only is he a twat, hes a rip off! how very dare he!!

I have to agree with caren here, Id take my money elsewhere. For me personally, how I felt when first meeting my provider was key to which provider I went with. As well as your own willpower, you will also need their support and guidance on how to make your band work for you.

Hope you sort it all out soon chick x

This horrible person needs reporting and if this was a private consultation you need to report him to the Medical Council. No doctor should be talking about patients like this and he certainly shouldn't have that attitued towards someone who is wanting help. :mad:

I agree with a lot of people on here that I'd take my £8,000 which is a bloody lot of money and go somewhere else where they treat you with a bit of respect! If they're like that to your face when you're awake then what they gonna do when you're asleep on the table?? This is something so pivotal in your life and you want it to go as perfect as possible and not have someone involved in your op who clearly isn't bothered. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that we'd all be really gutted for you if you went with these people and they didn't do half as well as they could because they had such a bad attitude towards the op and in a sense your future.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Soory hun but I also think I would go elsewhere. If you are paying you will have lots of choice. I would want someone to operate on me who i felt understood my situation and wanted to help and support me. He sounds like an idiot. Good luck whatever you decide and I hope it all goes well. Have to add what a K**B still cant believe his attitude grrrrrrrr x

Yes I would go somewhere else and alot cheaper. Even my doc who is on the nhs is nothing like that and when I met him he was lovely and totally put my mind at ease. If the first consultation is like that what is the aftercare going to he like. Hope you get your op soon and not every company is like that. There are some great ones out their with surgeons who understand and want to help. X x x

Did he smell of alcohol. Personally, if he is the first point of contact giving all the important information to you to make the decision for a life changing operation then I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. And as far as I've seen, a band costs around £6000 not £8 you could get a sleeve for that price.

Do yourself a favour and go somewhere else. For that price you could bring the family over to the mainland and stay in a top hotel and have the surgery for the same cost.

Kate x

Back