• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Contents of my Hospital Bag

Tatiana

So, this is what I've packed in my hospital bag (yes, it might be 4 weeks away but I've already got my bag sorted out!!)

2 x nightdresses
1 x pair pj's
knitted wrap to wear in bed/chair
pair of slippers
toiletries in bag
towels and flannel
toothbrush and paste
book to read
DS and games and charger
small battery fan and spare batteries (rechargable)
tissues
wet wipes
dettol wipes (sorry, after 17 years in the NHS, I just have to!)
loose elasticated skirt to wear for journey home
clean underwear
sports cap bottle of water
bottle of NAS squash
sanitary towels (just in case!)
lip balm
small cushion/pillow for comfort and journey home

I know they have tv's you have to pay for so have put money aside for that as well.

Still to go in is my mobile phone and charger.

Can anyone think of anything else I should pack?

Tatiana

Wow Tatiana, your well prepared, your list is very similar to what I carried. I wish you all the luck in advance x

Gosh-you're well prepared! I found my dressing gown pretty essential to cover my rear end as I spent a lot of time in a hospital gown with a catheter in. I also found earplugs a boon at night and had some great kips in hospital ! I didn't use my jim-jams, and didn't read much as morphine seemed to inhibit my concentration :eek:)

I would add a good bra and a top to the list. lol! .... but seriously, you have composed a great list there. maybe some magazines? silly question, but are you able to have a shower or bath soon afterwards? .... also, I'll def be packing my straighteners... just in case!

lynne08 said:
I would add a good bra and a top to the list. lol! .... but seriously, you have composed a great list there. maybe some magazines? silly question, but are you able to have a shower or bath soon afterwards? .... also, I'll def be packing my straighteners... just in case!

Yup showers readily available x

Wow! You are soooo organised! I have my op a couple of weeks after yours and I have't even thought about what to take yet! I think it's because I find it hard to believe it is happening until I have my pre-op assessment!!

Thanks for all the comments,

I think the worst admission will be that my bag was packed as soon as I got the date from the hospital over a week ago!!

I did think about the ear plugs but I'm able to sleep anywhere at any time, including in hospital, so I don't think I will worry about them.

I have got a few magazines I can pick up to take with me but have packed a book at the bottom of my bag for when I'm more awake - I may still put them in the bag before I go in - after all, I've got another 4 weeks until I go in!!

And, it is in complete contrast to my usual laid back style!! Last year I did a 3 week cruise travelling from India to Southampton through the Middle East and Mediterranean via the Suez Canal, I packed my bags the night before the cruise and managed to take everything I needed!!

Tatiana

Tbh you probably wont read anything or use your ds,you are in one day then its all getting/giving info,shower,gown,checks etc.Have your op then you are on hdu overnight,sleeping on and off cos of hourly obs.Next day if you are ok they have you sitting out then walking round the corridors,washed etc,doc comes to check you.You are sleeping most of the day again.2nd night still unsettled as you are uncomfortable.Up next morning washed,see doc and should be told when you can go home!Maz x

Hey, your list is Spot On!!!
For my surgery, I took an old tanktop, (that was big anyway, so I DEFINITELY wasn't going to need it again) I split the top of the arm of one side, added some velcro (or a button) (to allow for the IV)and I was able to wear my regular clothes!!.

Well, the Dettol wipes and a last pair of pj's (a gift from my mum!!) and a few magazines are now packed in my bag. I have changed the body wash that was in there as it brought me out in really dry skin this week and I don't want that in hospital - especially as I've got to shower with Hibiscrub beforehand and that makes my skin dry.

I am really looking forward to the next 3+ weeks and crossing off the days until I go into hospital!!

Tatiana

Hi Kelly-Dawn,

They postponed my op as the hospital kept changing the nymbr and frequency of ops with it being a new list!

I can ring them on monday and find out if they'll give me a new date yet! Also read they are opening a dedicated unit for bariatrics next month so, hopefully, not too much longer to wait!

My bag is sitting in a corner of the lounge waiting for the off!

Tatiana

Good luck with a date for your surgery. The only thing that I found invaluable was my dry mouth spray from Boots. It was nearly a day and a half before I was able to drink any fluids and although you have the drip, your mouth does become very dry.

All the other stuff I took, I wasn't interested in - must have been the anaesthetic. :confused:

Reading other posts, it would seem that dry mouth spray is a good one and I always download a story book as often it is easier to listen to a story than read one. I get bored with music after a while.. Good luck.. wish it was me!!

Back