• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cost of private surgery

Wow WLS in the UK is very expensive compared to Australia.

My band surgery in Sydney cost approx £3k as a private patient, with my health fund covering the rest. All of my fills and de-fills, pyschology, dietican, nutritionists and physiotheraphy sessions should be covered by private health cover and national medical scheme (Medicare) so any out of pocket expenses should be rather minor.

This just shows a major flaw in the NHS- ie. the lack of flexibility in the system. And also, the British private healthcare system doesn't support WLS at all. We're a bit disadvantaged here :(
It actually makes a bit angry. I've always been a true supporter of the NHS but this highlights a very large hole in its ethos.

It has only been in the last 24 months that major health funds have supported WLS as a medical procedure and not a cosmetic procedure. There are still many patients heading overseas to still do it cheaper but there is no after surgury support which I feel is essential to achieving success.

Surgeons here in Australia can charge (private patients) whatever they feel like so you the right to ask them what their fees will be so you can shop around for cheaper prices but i thought that the $5K (aust dollars) that my clinic charged not unreasonable, ankle surgery last year cost $2K and that was for a 45 min day surgery procedure.

Public health care here is in dire straits, with 2 - 3 year waiting lists, full public hospitals, closed wards and an incredible shortage of health professionals in regional areas. Smaller regional hospitals in NSW could not even pay their bills so patients went without meat for meals, medication and bandages. Staff even had to buy stores out of their own pockets.

I work for a large Australian company and have fantastic working conditions. My wife works in a public hospital and they struggle for every dollar they need and spend. It would be great if Governments just cut out the bullsh*t and deliver to people proper health cover, no poltical party has ever got it right but they all seem to have collecting taxes down to a fine art.

Sorry for ranting.............

i also went with cosmetic bliss for a sleeve, cant recommend them enough! Although i dont personally know anyone whos had a band with them, they do offer it :) Ive read that a few people have had a band with them and then have bought a 2 year aftercare package with providers in the UK.

Remember that with the band, the aftercare is very important! Fills and de-fills might have to be paid for! x

I'm another one that went with Cosmetic Bliss in the Czech Republic. Not only are Deborah and Michael great, but the care in the hospital was superb. I was worried about going abroad, but wont hesitate to go back there for my tummy tuck!

I had my surgery with the WLS group and they are very competitively priced. They offer banding in the UK and abroad, all after care is given in the UK. Prices are visible on the website, well worth a look.

Julie

i was thinking about going abroad for the sleeve, but decided against it as i wernt sure bout the whole diff country thing :S xx

WLS Group charge £8995 for gastric bypass in UK

x

Hi I was wondering if going private how soon can one have gastric band from initial consultation. I am fed up of the nhs waiting game now :(

Hi I was wondering if going private how soon can one have gastric band from initial consultation. I am fed up of the nhs waiting game now :(

Depends on your provider. My band was placed 2 weeks after initial consultation. My sleeve was done 6 days after initial consultation

i went via healthier weight and paid £7500 due to my BMI being over 50 for my band, but that includes not only 2 year aftercare but 3 years insurance.
I lovemy band!
It's cheaper if your BMI is under 50 but they have been great before during and post op :)

I went to my initial consultation on 2nd and having my op on 15th for gastric sleeve!
I spoke to 2 providers but in the end contacted the surgeon I wanted direct - he is an nhs consultant but also has his private clinic. As there is no provider it was about 30% cheaper.
I'm still in an nhs hospital but on the private wing and covered for 2 years.
Worth considering (and I bartered the price down too )

I was under the care of mr baker at spires wrexham hospital. My op was £4990 and includes 2 years aftercare! x x

I went to my initial consultation on 2nd and having my op on 15th for gastric sleeve!
I spoke to 2 providers but in the end contacted the surgeon I wanted direct - he is an nhs consultant but also has his private clinic. As there is no provider it was about 30% cheaper.
I'm still in an nhs hospital but on the private wing and covered for 2 years.
Worth considering (and I bartered the price down too )

Great idea :) good luck

I'm being sleeved with BMI healthcare in January, has anyone managed to barter the price down with them at all? Not good at this sort of thing but i guess it maybe worth the ask??

Back