• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Courage of Convictions

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Lo peeps, I have a bit of a dilemma :wave_cry: a nice one that lots of people would like I am sure but still, I am struggling with it. :wave_cry: I have approx 2 stone to go to goal & so not resting on my laurels, but on Friday I went to see my doctor to have my B12 injection & she did as she usually does & weighed me. She then said 'oh, your BMI is now 28.2' which pleased me, but then she completely shocked me by saying 'we will have to start thinking about your skin removal' :eek:. That does not guarantee I would be funded, but she thinks I would & has had other patients accepted. I would have to have stopped losing weight & not want any more children :eek: I'm 55 for gawds sake :rolleyes: Thought she was winding me up then but she just hadn't checked my age :rolleyes: I would need to go to see her monthly for documentation, but other than that, she would do the rest :) I came out shell shocked, I can tell you :wave_cry: Especially as she had given me a letter for the gym to say I was fit to use the sauna & gym equipment as they wouldn't accept me without & I have been trying to get a letter from the other GP in the surgery but he says they are not needed & that was that. :sigh: The different standards amongst GP's is astounding :mad:
Now I have had a few days to think about this, as previously I did not even consider it, as I have a cousin who was badly burnt as a child & the last couple of op's have been to make him look more presentable, not for health reasons, & he has had to fight to get them. :( So here is my predicament ... do I accept the surgery or do I stick to my previous principles which were plastic surgery should be for people such as my cousin, not for previous fatties who have caused their own issues. :( My skin isn't even that bad, but now I can't stop thinking about how nice it would be to not have the half stone I will probably be left with that exercise cannot shift. :eek:
Sooo ... don't shout at me for being a ninny, but your thought's would be most welcome cos I feel so bad for doing this complete turn about :confused: xxx PS my hubby is no help as he says I should take what is offered as it is a completely seperate budget to burns victims, but I still think money spent on me could be used for someone more deserving :sigh: xxx

What makes you thinking you aren't derserving of it? Did you ask to have a food addiction? was your weight gain entirely something of your choosing? when you decided you didn't want to be heavy anymore, did the health service do much to help you or just leave you to diet and exercise yourself?

I suspect it's all been a huge struggle, that you had an illness that made you need more food than your body could burn (whether that be chemical or psychological) and therefore i see no reason you shouldn't take what they are offering now if it will make the quality of your lif better x

If your GP said to you I have a pot of money and either you can have it or I can give it to a burns victim then the answer without question has to be give it to the burns victim. But that's not a choice you or the GP has to make. You only have to decide whether you want it or not. It may not happen, the budget may go before you even get close, but if you don't say yes you'll never know. There's only a moral issue here if you know that the money could be put to better use, how do you know it won't go to somebody else for plastics after WLS.
Only you can make the call Denise but do what's right for you....and listen to the old man.....for once :)

Hi Twinkle,

I think the dilemma only really exists if you could comfortably afford to pay for a tummy tuck privately.

If that is not the case, then I would say grab anything the NHS offers you -- the NHS will also offer burns victims, people seeking IVF treatment and all sorts of other treatments the treatments it is able to do within its budget for that area.

oh my lovely, you are just as deserving as the next person, its such a shame about your cousin, and its soooo not fair on him :wave_cry:
But you have a lovely gp who is willing to help you go all the way, grab it with both hands sweet cheeks, you deserve it :) luv ya mwah xxx

I totally agree with the above comments. After what you have achieved you so deserve this, if it's what you want. You have an empathetic GP who will apply for funding, go for it, you still have the option nearer the time if you decide the op is not for you.
Let's face it, most of us when at your stage would jump at the opportunity - what a lovely person you are to think of others xx

I agree with the others but its not a done deal they have to agree to it anyways and your gp cant guarantee that they will and who says you are not just as deserving as the next person does ex junkies say no to staying on methadone for years I dont think so along with numerous others who have addictions which is basically what we bacame addicts to food so go for it if thats what you want hon

Thanks everyone :) I have spoken to my cousin today & he says I would be mad to pass up on this opportunity :wave_cry: He is so lovely :) He does not feel at all sorry for himself & was quite annoyed that I was thinking the way I was :( My kids are all for it too :):)
All your points of view make me realise that I was not thinking of the big picture & just hanging onto the frustration & anger I felt when he was knocked back time and again, eventually having to go private just to look the way most people take for granted ... He is not in the same PCT as me so think the postcode lottery was to blame for this. :sigh:
Soooo thank you all again ... after all this soulsearching, I may not even be eligible for it, but do feel better knowing that I will at least try when the time comes & stop being so bloody ungrateful :eek::eek: xxx

You go for it, if it's offered on a plate! Not sure if they'd do me as its not excessive but still reckon it would get me this last bit off :) xx

So glad you decided to give it a go. I understand where you were coming from because it can feel unfair that some people have to fight for things like your cousin, and that can make us feel unworthy if we get opportunities that they might not get but we have to remember just because life can be unfair for some it doesn't mean we shouldn't take the opportunities that are available to us. If we didn't no one would ever be happy. Best of luck with it, I hope you get funding because you do deserve it :) x

What would you be looking to get done, tummy tuck or something else? I think anyone who has plastic surgery is first of all very brave, its pretty major surgery after all.

BUT if their loose skin (or whatever bits they are having done) causes them physical / physcological problems - then why not! personaly I couldn't put myself through it. I have had enough operations to last me a lifetime.

Let your GP put the application through and see how it goes, nothing to lose by trying ;)

Not sure at the minute, Maz :confused: Until Friday I was dead against the idea so didn't consider what might needs doing. I still have a couple of stone to go so things may head even further south by then & a clearer picture of what is to be gained will become evident. Suppose a face lift is out of the question :D xx

Not sure at the minute, Maz :confused: Until Friday I was dead against the idea so didn't consider what might needs doing. I still have a couple of stone to go so things may head even further south by then & a clearer picture of what is to be gained will become evident. Suppose a face lift is out of the question :D xx
i dont think any of us would turn that down lol xxx

Back