• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been to GP about my tummy.

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
I have just got in from an appointment with my GP, where I went to ask if I could be considered for abdominoplasty.

I was met with a pretty resounding NO.

I did give lots of medical/psychological/social reasons for wanting it, and I think I made a good case. But it felt like begging.

She said the NHS wouldn't fund it as it is cosmetic surgery.

However after my begging she has agreed to talk to the other GPs in the practice, and see if anybody else has any experience. I just have to wait and see, she said she would copy me into any letters that are sent.

She suggested I look at going private.

Feel really down now.

On the positive side (if you can class this as possitive), she agreed that it looks disgusting, and she had a prod at the bit under the apron where it's sweaty and keeps getting thrush. So she agrees that it's needed.

But she's not going to fight my corner, of that I am certain.

:cry:

the nhs does fund it i had mine done at durham on the nhs but its very hard to get thro a gp referal as my band surgeon refered me for plastics.

I can't do that as I was done privately :-(

Do we come under the same PCT? Interesting to know that they can do it. I am not really expecting to hear anything more from the GP so I will go back in a month and see if anything is happening.

I was a bit annoyed by the 'cosmetic surgery' comment to be honest :-(

Fingers crossed that your GP will be a little more positive after doing some research for you. If by chance they do come back with a no you could ask for a copy of your PCT policy on abdominoplasty. If you meet the PCT criteria then surely the GP cannot refuse to refer you, it would be up to a consultant to say yes or no after examining you. Dont give up just yet hun xx

I would definately contact my pct and get a copy of their criteria, you may even be able to google it ( i did for mine ) ... Good Luck , hope you get them to refer you at least

Hope you manage to get this surgery, I was told by my gp the other week that when I have lost the weight I will have excess skin and that it is very unlikely that I would get surgery for this on the nhs. Good luck.

hi i'm gonna speak to my surgeon about a referral when i see him in a couple of weeks as he has said previously that as long as my pct agree then it will be done on nhs.

I was told at the very start ,that i would have to lose the weight and keep it off for 2 yrs to be referred and considered .Good luck hope you get some good news.

Awww thats rubbish, I wish you good luck in getting a YES!!!

I was at GP today, quite a different scenario. She actually said to me "you need a tummy tuck" when I showed her my infected belly button.

Also agreed its horrendous. Obviously the decision isn't down to her but I think it must be bad if she said that.

I also have a load of head stuff going on which she has taken note of. Now the wait begins.

I'm in Glasgow, does anyone know how long these kind of referrals take?

I've decided to contact the PCT on monday.

I saw my bariatric nurse on Thursday, who agreed I would benefit from it, and that my tummy probably weighs something in the region of 10-12lb!

I am thinking of going to the spire washington for a consultation. I am not able to find very much in terms of cost for private surgery on he internet. But really, unless it's £500 we probably can't raise the cash!!

Has anybody else looked into getting this privately? Can anybody recommend a surgeon or a provider?

Thanks

Rx

i had full tummytuck with muscle repair done on nhs on 2nd november, took less than 6 months from seeing my gp to getting the surgery - im very pleased but it was alot more major operation than i had anticipated and recovery is slow.
hope you get it done somehow x

I had a full tummy tuck inc tightening of my tummy muscles on the NHS on the 9th Jan this year. It has been along battle but the hardest bit was getting the referal to be honest. Once i was refered to a PS it was very very quick. I saw the PS on the 27th Nov for a consultation, he examined me agreed i needed one and booked me in on the 9th Jan.

You have to fight fight and fight some more, dont give up. I have a new lease of life since having mine done. The op is very major though and i have to be rushed back in due to an infection, but i am over the moon with the results. I am still off work though.

xxx

Back