• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am upset about funding for plastics :(

Danielle <3

My doctor was lovely he said he would definitely refer me so I went on the 18th Sept to ask, knowing I am early out of surgery but I am nearing target. I wasn't sure what the criteria was and how the procedure goes. I hadn't heard anything so I was at the surgery today anyway so I asked about the referral, I saw a nurse practitioner that was a little rude to me actually but anyway I asked her about my referral she said that I probably wouldn't get it. I said well how do you know has the letter been sent she said everything is really difficult and a lot has changed. I said yeh but have they refused, she basically said the secretary hadn't sent the letter yet as they need to ask for funding, so I said have you asked for funding and she said yes ring back Friday but I don't think you will get it. She said its strange why you have come to your GP you should try your bariatric dr because they have funding, I said not as far as im concerned they don't. Then i asked if I don't get funding can you appeal and she said NO :( So basically waiting to be told NO on Friday because by the way she sounded she already knew. I know someone that has had 3 areas done, legs, bum and now stomach on NHS, am just upset to think some can and some people cant. She asked her GP why some people get turned down and others get and she said it can be as little as the wording in the letter sent. Hummmmf :confused:

I have been told the same. Still a postcode lottery, but now even harder.

awww yvessa hard going, i thought you could appeal but she said no so but i am sure you can as no one would get anything, if i appealed then id like them to see pictures etc x

Danielle, you should think about getting in touch with the medical ombudsman in your area its set up by the government to investigate complaints from patients look it up on Google just a thought.

you can appeal, but frankly I think its just a blanket no right now.

yvessa when I asked the girl who has had 3 areas done she said there was a point system when she went, you need to have a BMI between 25 and 26 an overhang of a round 2 and half inches or more and maintain for 2 years. She then said things have changed so she said when she goes in for her tummy tuck she will ask the plastic team. She lost all her weight in 6 months post bypass and at 18 months had a leg and bum lift and in next couple of weeks a tummy tuck. She defo needed it but I am still envious that some manage to have 3 areas done and others get none :( defo a postcode lottery even if you live in relatively the same area of the country x

I've just been told similar things too by my GP last week, and they have battled with other patients and said it isn't even worth applying. This is despite medical issues from the skin and the overhang.

But one of the things I've since learned is that within my area you have to have lost at least 50% of total bodyweight which I will have done when I lose the last little bit as I will have lost over 12 stone, but then that has to be maintained for 2 years and there's a whole host of things that have been introduced.

These new guidelines were brought in our area in April of this year and the way it has been done and worded simply means that the way of applying isn't even worth it.

I so understand how you feel.

Danielle I have mixed feelings about this. I know that after I have lost a significant amount more then I will definitely need plastics, but I am not sure that will actually be a medical need. I know it will be a problem for me as my skin is already shot but I actually feel that I knew this before I embarked on the surgery and will of course apply for funding when the time comes, but am expecting that unless there is a medical issue like rubbing, chaffing or infection then I am likely to be declined.

I am actually quite surprised that your GP has referred you already - I thought you had to have been stable with weight loss for a couple of year. I think it's a bit premature to be making complaints etc - after all it's only the nurse giving her opinion and that is a long way from being declined.

Hope you get it sorted.x

Start saving ladies, it's the only way to go.

By chance my chosen surgeon is at a hospital which is £2500 - £3000 cheaper than my chosen more local hospital.

I'm paying £8500 for combined mastoplexy (no implants) and abdominoplasty, and am all booked in for January for my slash & hoik (am beyond nip & tuck).

Start saving ladies, it's the only way to go.

By chance my chosen surgeon is at a hospital which is £2500 - £3000 cheaper than my chosen more local hospital.

I'm paying £8500 for combined mastoplexy (no implants) and abdominoplasty, and am all booked in for January for my slash & hoik (am beyond nip & tuck).

out of interest, can I ask where you're having yours done? :)

I'm really hoping i dont have too much loose skin! I feel for you ladies, my husband and i ahve both said once we hit goal if we have loose skin and cant cope with it we will save and pay for whatever needs doing x

It's not particularly local to me, a bit of a drive, but I am going to The McIndoe Centre in East Grinstead. They do free consultations and evening presentations as well. The whole hospital is for cosmetic everything.

This was in The Daily Scare, that fountain of great knowledge last week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 88
I too have mixed feelings on the skin issue..
My daughter is a nurse she has lost 8 stone and has maintained also...
She has virtually accepted she knew this would be a side effect so to speak, and she is saving hard to have skin removal
As I am older and aesthetics don't affect me..I shall try to be the graceful oldie I am and hope that the skin is just loose and not all the extreme problems some of you are having to endure

I do hope they will see that on an individual need, many of you are truly worthy cases :/

I feel that I am a worthy case, the skin on my stomach is horrendous so I hope I get funding and if I am not lucky this time I will try in 2 years time. In the mean time I will start saving x

Back