• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My "PCT" won't fund . . .

Ladies do you talc? I always talc my folds. I don't get infections, just sometimes in my belly button. When I was bigger I used to spray dove deodorant there and under my boobs. They used to get really sore.

I always talc too and am lucky so far not to get infections, but I have still got a long way to go which will mean saggier bits! If I get sore at all at the mo, I use sudocrem which does the trick, but talc generally works and keep the skin dry etc.

Well I'm starting my surgery fund off with £100 by switching my bank accounts and getting a "switch" fee . . . Got to start somewhere . . .

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I can understand how you are feeling as I'm getting some serious sags and folds! I've still still got a long way to go, so they are likely to get worse. :(

I would still ask to be referred whether they think you'll get it or not, it sounds like you certainly are a good candidate to have it done, surely they will see you need help! But yes, save your pennies too just incase, but it's certainly worth trying the NHS route as much as you can before paying out.
Take care x

Oh this is awful hon :( I would ask for a referral anyway - good luck with the saving.

I have been lucky - at the moment any skin is just cosmetic, but given how much that bothers me, I can only imagine how you feel.

i would try again as now they are no longer seperate pct's it all comes down to nhs england to make the decisions they may allow it goodluck

It's such a shame that you manage that terrific weightloss achievement, only to be presented with a whole new set of problems. Talk about being punished :(

Really sorry to hear of all your issues, I can imagine it's incredibly upsetting - but if you can get this far, you can overcome the next hurdle.

All the best :)

I would be interested on the legal issue as they provide the surgery that causes this problem then they should sort the problem out May be worth looking into that you can get a no win no fee lawyer to give his views
You have nothing to lose give it a whirl
Good luck let us know how you get on

I would be interested on the legal issue as they provide the surgery that causes this problem then they should sort the problem out May be worth looking into that you can get a no win no fee lawyer to give his views

Are you serious? As a lawyer trust me that won't happen!

I feel they caused the surplus skin by the operation and some pcts do it so why not yours I thought it might be worth a try fight them any way you can as it's the only thing we can do

I feel they caused the surplus skin by the operation and some pcts do it so why not yours I thought it might be worth a try fight them any way you can as it's the only thing we can do

It's precisely this type of view that gives us a bad rep with those who don't believe the NHS should fund bariatric surgery.
The NHS didn't cause our loose skin problems. We did.

It's precisely this type of view that gives us a bad rep with those who don't believe the NHS should fund bariatric surgery.
The NHS didn't cause our loose skin problems. We did.

Correct...I knew when I had my surgery I may have been left with loose skin,luckily I'm ok.
I was also told funding would NOT be given for further surgery.

Er no, we caused it by getting fat!

LOL, supposing you lost weight on a diet, would you sue Weight Watchers?

I'm no expert but funding has changed as PCTs no longer exist. I would also encourage GP to apply - don't ask, don't get. It might help in identifying what counts as 'extreme' too.

I asked my GP about bariatrics funding. Apparently she did a whole load of forms only to find out (after of course) they weren't needed any more as funding was automatically approved if met 'local criteria' - my point being that sometimes GPs don't know. She may well surprise you both. Fingers crossed for you x

I am glad I got people warmed up over this issue the point I was making is loose skin can cause just as much problems you can get sores and infections what can cause serious health issues and some places fund it but others don't Nhs should be a set standard and the post code lottery is wrong and needs addressing hope I never upset too many of you
If the skin is causing health issues then yes needs sorting but if it's just cosmetic then no

I'm no expert but funding has changed as PCTs no longer exist. I would also encourage GP to apply - don't ask, don't get. It might help in identifying what counts as 'extreme' too.

I asked my GP about bariatrics funding. Apparently she did a whole load of forms only to find out (after of course) they weren't needed any more as funding was automatically approved if met 'local criteria' - my point being that sometimes GPs don't know. She may well surprise you both. Fingers crossed for you x
as far as I was told it was only the bariatric surgery that no longer uses a pct, other its not across the board permission is still needed for other elective surgerys

We are all told or nearly all that there is no guarantee of funding for plastics. It's a lotto whether we get it or not. My gp's applied for me I prefer to assume it will be a no rather than that I will be the lucky one . If I am selected I shall be over the moon, if not I shall be disappointed but hopefully accepting. I'd like to have it for a closure a full circle of treatment & correction to my self inflicted cause & effect eating.

I am glad I got people warmed up over this issue the point I was making is loose skin can cause just as much problems you can get sores and infections what can cause serious health issues and some places fund it but others don't Nhs should be a set standard and the post code lottery is wrong and needs addressing hope I never upset too many of you
If the skin is causing health issues then yes needs sorting but if it's just cosmetic then no

Gosh you're so right. None of us knew how unfair it was before you suggested we sue the NHS!

They didn't cause my skin issues I went private!

As it is, I've also learned some of the guidelines in our area, you have to have lost over 50% weight, so I started at 24 stone, I'd have to be under 12 stone. (Which I will be) but its then a minimum 2 year wait and maintaining completely during that time. Then there's a whole other list of things which need to be met, medically. And while I meet some of them in terms of the medical issues, skin hanging etc, I can't wait 3 years. So, I shall have to save to go private for my surgery, and if I'm able to find a way to go abroad then I may even consider that.

I admire anyone who has it gone as it's quite scary over the op seems painful I am quite lucky with my surplus skin it seems to shrink back ok and not caused problems I do have to use a cream what I buy I started my weightloss at 31 st now 13 so lost over 50%
Good luck with it if you have it

Back