• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My "PCT" won't fund . . .

top_kat

I've been battling since July when I first posted about approaching the GP with regards to the skin around my stomach and also pubic area.

Well I've been having issues, intense itching, chronic back ache and ongoing cramps and aches in the skin which feel like period pains. I've got skin infections and horrible boils.

I gave in and made an appointment with my GP - and firstly she didn't recognise me as she hasn't seen me since before my surgery. She was so understanding about what I'm going through but the first thing she said to me was

"You won't get NHS funding here for this".

:argh:

She was saying that she has tried so many times to get help for people, she had one lady whose husband taunted her for having a bigger "scrotum" than he did with her loose skin and how she was almost suicidal with depression. She even bought in a private surgeon to help, to send photos, and everything and still they wouldn't do it.

So, she has given me antibiotics for the skin infections, she's given me cream for the skin, she's given me a whole host of things along with a number for a surgeon she highly recommends.

He used to do this surgery on the NHS, but resigned from them due to the changes they made in funding and because he wasn't able to help the people he really wanted to. He is now based in the Nuffield private hospital which is about 5 mins walk from home.

My GP reckons that my skin is adding a good stone and a half to my weight and I can tell that my trouser legs should be a 14, maybe even a 12, but because of all the skin around my stomach I'm having to wear an 18. This in turn causes issues with irritation from the clothes being too loose :sigh:

Even though I'm having serious issues, she said funding will only be done for exceptional cases and they have yet to find an exceptional case where it has been given. She said our local PCT will do wls but don't do plastics after it - so why wouldn't she refer me initially when I approached her then? She even said today that my BMI had been dangerously high - well no **** sherlock! :mad:

She is going to talk to one of the other doctors in the surgery to see if there's anything he suggests. But it looks as if I am going to have to start saving.

I'm going to contact the Nuffield with regards to a consultation, she said they charge about £150, but I noticed the other day on a sign outside saying they do free consultations on cosmetic surgery.

I'm not quite sure whether the issues around the pubic area skin can be done along with the apronectomy but guess I will have to find out. But first, need to let the antibiotics etc kick in cos there's no way I'm letting a man see those issues :hide:

:rolleyes:

I kinda new it would be this way. Although she was much more understanding than when I spoke to her about wls. But. I have to say. I'm disappointed just the same.

Start saving now then . . .

So sorry to hear that, I heard the same thing that they won't fund plastics... Vut you would think they would make an exception for people who have such big issues as you do. Hope something can be done for you. X

Oh Kat, I'm gutted for you. I suspect I will have very similar issues if I lose as much weight as I'd like - I'd be really interested to hear what they can do about the pubic issues when they are doing the apronectomy.

A few places here (spire among them) hold free cosmetic surgery open evenings where you can have a consultation. I'm not sure how detailed it gets, but it's worth considering while you're looking at options.

I hope the infection and irritation gets better soon x

That must be so disheartening after all your struggles. I was very dismissive of loose skin issues when it was mentioned prior to surgery, but having lost some weight now I think i will be seeking surgery at some point. I was told, although this may well have changed now, that if NHS fund your wls they will not fund skin surgery, so hoping as I paid for my wls I could get funding. Think I'll start putting my pennies away now though.

You seem to be a very determined lady - is it worth appealing perhaps?

Gutted for you TK x

sorry to hear that hun we are told befor surgery our pct doesn't fund so I know befor hand it not gona happen still sucks tho for the amount of work you have done x

Nightmare. I have similar issues but not at BMI 27 so not approached the gp yet.

sorry to hear that hun we are told befor surgery our pct doesn't fund so I know befor hand it not gona happen still sucks tho for the amount of work you have done x

I had my surgery private because when I approached my GP for help and wls, they laughed! They weren't laughing when she saw me today almost 11 stone lighter than when I last saw her! She was genuinely upset and could see the battles.

I am tempted though to head back, ask her to apply anyway and then enter into the funding battle and see what happens. . . but, having spoken to the Nuffield, it is also £5800 for the tummy tuck . . .and having spent £7500 for my gastric band, its not like I have anywhere near that lying around.

Only potential good news is that my car finance finishes in Feb which will give me £130 a month spare again, so maybe a loan will be the way to go . . .

Who knows :(

This is such sad news. I remeber signing to state that the NHS would not do the skin removal surgery unless it was a special case. If this is making you feel down, see the doctor about a physchiatric appointment and go this way for the surgery. It may take some time but if the physchiatrict is involved and you cant live you life the way it is...maybe that would be a way to go?? (I know if has happened for people who lost weight on their own via a slimming club)

My GP didn't even know I had my band fitted until I saw her today. God knows whats happened to the notification I gave them from the private hospital! But she said they just don't do it, whether its as a result of weight loss surgery on the NHS or private.

I do wonder what they class as exceptional circumstances . . .

Well that is what I was thinking Kat, "what is seen as exceptional" your case and the lady your GP spoke with you about seem exceptional to me.

I fee for you, I really do. xxx

Kat, I'm so gutted for you. You are obviously a determined lady and once you get over this initial disappointment I know you will bounce back, guns blazing.

It's unfortunate the nhs doesn't have the resources to help us with WLS and 'cosmetic' surgery but I'm sure you will figure something out.

Hope your infection improves quickly, it's sounds terrible.

Take care x

I understand how crappy it is. I'm the same. I have three boils at the moment - one on my saggy pubis area! I feel my stomach apron prob about weighs about a stone. My face, neck and collar bones look slim but where my body has dropped my lower half looks out of proportion. I've not approach my GP about plastics yet but I'm not holding my breath :/ Good news is if you can save up enough for the op they can fix the pubis and apron at the same time. I saw it done on the tv :)

Well I'm starting my surgery fund off with £100 by switching my bank accounts and getting a "switch" fee . . .

Got to start somewhere . . .

I understand how crappy it is. I'm the same. I have three boils at the moment - one on my saggy pubis area! I feel my stomach apron prob about weighs about a stone. My face, neck and collar bones look slim but where my body has dropped my lower half looks out of proportion. I've not approach my GP about plastics yet but I'm not holding my breath :/ Good news is if you can save up enough for the op they can fix the pubis and apron at the same time. I saw it done on the tv :)

Do you know what, I'm sorry that you're suffering in this way too, but I have to say, that I'm glad I'm not the only one with a saggy pubis area and that I'm not the only one with the boils.

They hurt. Loads. I have to wear tight fitting lycra type shorts to exercise and run, but I can't wear them when there is a boil cos it just darn hurts!

I'm pleased to see what you said about them being able to sort that out at the same time as an apronectomy . . .I don't care so much about my arms, or even my decreasing boobs :rolleyes: but the stomach is just simply awful.

Its so uncomfortable on my legs wearing trousers that are 2+ sizes too big just so they fit around my skin - end up with chaffed skin on the thighs. I never wore "comfort shorts" when I was 24 stone but Im having to wear them now. God knows what it will be like when the cold weather kicks in.

Ugh! Feeling majorly disgusting :(

I'm awaiting the decision of my pct or whatever their latest incarnation is called.
But please never never label yourself disgusting. I appreciate your emotions & feelings but just because our surgery has left us with sagging skin & yes we feel dare I simplify it as unhappy with our external appearance we are all beautiful on the inside & we should never allow others looks, comments or our assumptions of their thoughts to drag us down.
Believe in your inner beauty you are beautiful don't drag yourself down.
I hope you get some support & the chance to apply for funding & if not the finances you need to go private again. Please be kind to yourself.

Hi there
I would say go back to your GP and ask to be referred anyway. My GP didn't think I would get anything done on the NHS, but referred me - and I am now 5 weeks post op recovering from tummy tuck on the NHS. However I am based in Scotland and i know it all works differently. I did pay privately to get my sleeve in the first place as you have to have a BMI of 60 to get it on the NHS in Lothian.
Good luck!
Crackers x

I know it does help that it isn't just you especially when some people seem to more or less ping back into shape. My arms are awful too though so I really want them done but of course wouldn't ask the NHS but they don't cause any physical discomfort but the tummy and the rest is totally so I stop getting infections, I can cope with not be perfect but always have cracked skin under belly and at least two boils on the go that sometimes turn into full blown abscesses and it gets me down. Still more comfortable than when I was 26 stone but would be nice to be pain free.

Ladies do you talc? I always talc my folds. I don't get infections, just sometimes in my belly button. When I was bigger I used to spray dove deodorant there and under my boobs. They used to get really sore.

I don't have any problems now as there isn't much fat left under the loose skin, but when I did get sore under my belly - the first sign of soreness - I slathered on the Savlon, job done.

I knew going into this there wouldn't be any NHS funding for skin removal so I set up an aggressive saving campaign right from the start. Phase 1 complete, Phase 2 scheduled for Feb, phase 3 next October. 15,000 euros altogether. (Face/neck/arms/legs/boobs and lower body lift) You can't take it with you.

Back