• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cpac sleep apnea

sezzer13

Hi i am just waiting to see the surgeon. I already have mild sleep apnea and have a cpap machine which ive had for about 18 months but i can not get use to wearing and most nights dont. Does anyone know if not wearing the cpac will make any differance to my having surgery x

Hi

I have apnoea and a cpap machine took me a good long while to get used to the mask I have the up the nose pronged one and it wraps about the mouth...than is strapped to the head lol..right delight I wear it all night now so for at least 8 hrs...if its the mask try swapping for the type of face mask bit like a box a man wears for cricket lol..I am told that's easier to get used to..i know I had to fiddle a lot with the fitting to get it comfy these days I see a vast difference between a nights sleep with cpap..to when I doze I wake with such jolts I don't think I could do without it now as much as a pain it can be...

The only advice I can give is at bed time put it on and just see how far you can go each night you will In time get used to it, and hopefully increase the use time as if you have been given one and don't meet the 4 hr average per night it invalidates car insurance..i do feel you annoyance at the mask and my children think im like darth vadar when its on...but I promise it does get easier each night

good luck jo

Yes. The CPAP machine records info while you use the machine during the night. This info is viewed by the 'sleep' nurse that monitors your condition. You need to be using it to an adequate level before you will be accepted as 'fit' for surgery.
There are a pain to get used to sleeping with but they really do work and have a positive impact on quality of life. Ask the nurse for options that may make your adjustment to this unit more comfortable, such as 'nose pillows' that fit just in the nose. Apparently much more easier to get along with than a full face mask - being a mouth breather, I had to make do with the full face mask, but it did get eaiser.
There can also provide a humidifier that attaches to your CPAP and apparently they make a difference, but I've never used one.
Good luck

Hi i am just waiting to see the surgeon. I already have mild sleep apnea and have a cpap machine which ive had for about 18 months but i can not get use to wearing and most nights dont. Does anyone know if not wearing the cpac will make any differance to my having surgery x

Hi
I was diagnosed with very mild sleep apnea and given a machine and I hated it. I tried various different masks but I just couldn't sleep with the noise from it. Anyway I didn't use it and on my pre-op they asked about it an I said I hadn't used it, they said the surgeon may not do the op. I took it in with me just incase an they agreed to do the op as the anaesthetist said I was young and fit enough. On the morning there was no beds in intensive care so they were weary of doing the op because of the sleep apnea but because the anaesthetist said it was ok they went ahead. Apparently I kept forgetting to breath when in recovery an they had to give me oxygen an monitor me for a while an they said it was all down to not wearing the mask before the op. I would recommend trying to use it as much as possible as the surgeon said if he could change things he wouldn't of done the op.

Yeah try and use it its worth while really. I had to have one and had to be established on it for 6 months before they would do my op. 5 stone lighter I was able to send the machine back, I have allergies and found I needed the humidifier attached. At 1 st I felt claustrophobic, I use to use mu head phones with calming music to relax me till I got in thwe swing of the noise eventually I got the hang of it. xxx good luck xx

They are a pain in the backside for sure, try all the mask/nasal tubes until you find one that is best for you.
My first cpac didnt register a thing (after 3 months of use ) & the nurse tried other cards again none registered !! he told me that the surgeon gets info from them regarding use & how established you are on the machine & if they pass you fit for surgery !!
He also said that salford royals guideline is to wear a minimum of 4hours a night (from putting it on ),
this is a very important step for you & please try to wear the thing as failure will result in
not being passed fit for surgery
Good luck

I am the same.i cant stand anything over the nose and mouth.my first week was a complete waste of time.send data card back had a virus.second card.i only did a few hours out of 39 days.then next card came.this card was for 3 months.we agreed that if I can at least do 4 hours a night or more they would look at it.i dread going to bed.the thought of putting that on my face. I have tried different masks.i panic if I get water on my face.i cant sleep under blankets.cant swim under water.i don't know whats going to happen.i will keep trying you never no.and I do understand this is for my own good for surgery.but as everyone says different area have there own rules.you will get there im sure.take care.

Hi I have severe sleep apnea and have been on my machine since 2008 I have found its helped me tremendously to the point where I cant sleep without it. before I had it I would have micro sleeps during the day and at night I would wake up choking, also I had the worst headache every morning and just sleepy all-day long Not good when your a bus driver , In fact I had my licence for bus driving withdrawn untill it was under control. some 3 months later. But the benefits health wise are good if you have good compliance with the machine.

i was told by my surgeon that if my sleep apnea wasnt under control they wouldn't do the op, so even when i had nightly panic attacks while wearing my mask i had to carry on good luck with it i hope you get the go ahead soon

Great Sezzer, it does get easier :)

Back